Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #43
Flea

Drives: Camaro ZL1
This is my first GM vehicle. I've always been a Ford guy. I have a 2013 F150 as my daily driver. One thing that Ford has that is WAY better than Chevy is the backup camera. Not only does the Ford backup camera have lines to show you if you're straight (and they're broken into 3 sections: Green, Yellow, and Red to show distance), but the Ford camera is MUCH more clear. I couldn't believe how horribly grainy the one in my ZL1 is. It looks like the first ever attempt of adding a camera to a vehicle. And the ZL1 camera has that bubble effect that distorts things, while giving no more of a wind range view than my Ford without the bubble effect. No lines, terrible picture quality, and bubble distortion. I'm very disappointed in this. The camera is probably my biggest complaint about the ZL1. At the moment, I can't even think of another complaint. I guess that's not such a bad thing. However, it's still annoying every time I put the car in reverse.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #44
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
I'm more worried about keeping it between the lines going forward!
+1
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #45
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZL1#992 View Post
+1

Yeah, but you can't keep going only forward forever.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #46
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Who is the GM Customer Service Rep that posts here?
That would be myself and Reggie B. Did you have any concerns?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #47
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
That would be myself and Reggie B. Did you have any concerns?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hello, William R. and Reggie B., nice of you to drop in.

Any software update on the horizon? One that will incorporate grid lines on the B/U camera, that is.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #48
nasa.zl1

Drives: 2011 White Camaro
No reason to ask why you bought a ZL1. I plan to be in the situation but in a '14.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #49
spaceaholic
SpaceAholic

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Having just purchased a 2013 ZL1 this month, I'd too would like to add a note of disappointment with the absence of a back-up reference overlay on the camera; as well as the substandard quality of the video - it also lacks low light sensitivity (unlike Ford's camera in my F250) which makes the ZL1's backing camera essentially worthless when attempt reverse operations at night.
spaceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
Camaro Fred
2012 ZL1 VIN 150

Drives: 1973 RS LT Camaro 4 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
'Dave' at Chevrolet Live Chat (Mylink page) says:

Alright, thank you for your patience. I can confirm that the guide lines are not an available feature for the 2013 Camaro's Back Up
Camera

If I remember correctly, the guide lines were only available on the GMC Terrain's back up camera. Honestly, I have no idea why they wouldn't make it available for any vehicle with one equipped considering it's a great feature, but I don't work in engineering so I'm sure there was some reason they didn't. The coolest thing though with the new MyLink and IntelliLink systems is they're easily manipulated to add or remove features due to the whole Linux architecture so I wouldn't be surprised if they made it an available add-on through update in the future. That's pure speculation on my part though

http://www.chevrolet.com/mylink-colo...013.html#Touch

OK resident Hackers, here's your challenge. Get Crackin'!
Linux? That is the worst news I have heard about MyLink. We use it at work and it is not even close to being as stable as traditional operating systems like Unix. It may be the new thing, but it needs a few years to improve.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #51
janny

Drives: Chevrolet Aveo
For updates you required the software but which one you updated it is not reliable. It can create the issue so wait for company updates in the new addition. You will have more features.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #52
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I've wanted to say this somewhere again for a little while concerning placement of the back up camera view on the Nav screen for a minute now. I was at a grocery store, in the parking lot, and a dude in some convertible Lexus or something or another put his top down and then buried his head down in his Nav screen to look at his back up camera and didn't give a damn that he almost backed over me. If it wasn't on his screen, it didn't make a difference.(for those that wonder how he almost backed over me, his wheel was cut as he was backing out and I was to the side of his bumper)

So I like it up on my mirror, because I am constantly looking in the side mirrors, the actual center mirror, and the backup camera view, and out the front when backing up. I think people are going to have a tendency to bury their heads down there and get tunnel vision.

thank you
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #53
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I've wanted to say this somewhere again for a little while concerning placement of the back up camera view on the Nav screen for a minute now. I was at a grocery store, in the parking lot, and a dude in some convertible Lexus or something or another put his top down and then buried his head down in his Nav screen to look at his back up camera and didn't give a damn that he almost backed over me. If it wasn't on his screen, it didn't make a difference.(for those that wonder how he almost backed over me, his wheel was cut as he was backing out and I was to the side of his bumper)

So I like it up on my mirror, because I am constantly looking in the side mirrors, the actual center mirror, and the backup camera view, and out the front when backing up. I think people are going to have a tendency to bury their heads down there and get tunnel vision.

thank you
I use my mirrors when backing up. I only look at the screen to make sure somebody hasn't left their bicycle behind me.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #54
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Fred View Post
Linux? That is the worst news I have heard about MyLink. We use it at work and it is not even close to being as stable as traditional operating systems like Unix. It may be the new thing, but it needs a few years to improve.
Linux is not a new thing by any stretch since it's been around since 1991. You can't compare Linux based on any one distribution because there can be a lot of variance between different distributions. Most of the servers and super computers in the world run on some form of Linux. Even the Android operating system is built on Linux.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #55
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
Linux is not a new thing by any stretch since it's been around since 1991. You can't compare Linux based on any one distribution because there can be a lot of variance between different distributions. Most of the servers and super computers in the world run on some form of Linux. Even the Android operating system is built on Linux.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
There's almost as many flavor's/distributions of Linux as there are of Unix itself.
Some are better than others, some are more graphical, some are more user friendly, and some just downright suck. But yes Linux has been with us for well over 20 years now.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #56
benji1997

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji1997
Why aren't the backup symbols available in 2013 Camaros? See 1:02.