Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Can you wax or use spray wax on a car that has been coated ?

i have a 16 ss and had it ceramic coated when i got it and go back once a year to get the swirl marks and coating re touched up. But just wanted to know i use a spray detailer on it every two weeks or so and wash it once a month but wanted to know can i use a spray way after i wash it or just leave it alone? thanks

i tried to search some other forums and some people said yes some people said no hmm
Old 01-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yup you can. But It will just wash off quickly. A better alternative is diluted carpro reload. It’s made for coatings.

https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

hmm interesting have you used the one in the link glen e?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Of course, I don’t recommend stuff unless I’ve used it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have a 16 ss and had it ceramic coated when i got it and go back once a year to get the swirl marks and coating re touched up. But just wanted to know i use a spray detailer on it every two weeks or so and wash it once a month but wanted to know can i use a spray way after i wash it or just leave it alone? thanks

i tried to search some other forums and some people said yes some people said no hmm

If you have swirls in the paint coating, using spray wax may be the culprit. Using this product requires touching the paint, and if pressure is used to remove excess, scratching can occur. Most spray waxes are short on longevity of protection anyway (2-3 weeks), so not really worth the time.

Your swirls could also be coming from the spray detailer wipe downs. These are ok to use for a clean surface, but if your car is lightly soiled, a rinseless wash would be much better, as you have much more lubricity when wiping, which reduces wash marring.

If you haven't used it yet, I'd highly recommend Carpro Reset Shampoo when you do a full two bucket wash with grit guards. It's designed to clean coatings, and will restore the full hydrophobic effect of the coating back to it's original state.

Foam the car down with it, let it dwell several minutes without allowing it to dry, and rinse. You'll find very little dirt at all in the rinse bucket when your done. It does a fantastic job of cleaning, while being 100% safe on the coating. The only no-no's are not to use it on a hot surface, and never allow it to dry on the surface.

Whenever you touch the car washing or drying, use as little pressure as possible to minimize scratching.

If you want to use the spray wax, don't dry the car and apply afterward. Spray it on as you dry, this way your touching the paint the least amount possible.
The Reload mentioned will provide much longer protection, and doesn't need to be applied once a month..once every 4-6 months

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-18-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

the swirls are from using an outside car cover and i was going to wash it this weekend and use a spray wax to help with the scratches but im going back in may to get my yearly touch up so not really worried about them. As for washing i go to pay and spray and drive around and when i get home barely any water on my car and my car isnt soiled when i wipe it down just light dust.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
the swirls are from using an outside car cover and i was going to wash it this weekend and use a spray wax to help with the scratches but im going back in may to get my yearly touch up so not really worried about them. As for washing i go to pay and spray and drive around and when i get home barely any water on my car and my car isnt soiled when i wipe it down just light dust.
Spray wax cannot prevent scratches occurring. It doesn't form any type of barrier on the paint that is resistant to abrasives.

When you drive your car home from the pay/spray, by the time you get home, it isn't clean anymore. It has some dirt on it. When you then spray wax on it and wipe it down, you are also wiping dirt into the coating causing scratches.

The dirt that is still on the paint gets between your car and the cover, and when the cover moves, the paint gets scratched.

Some of this dirt will remain inside the cover, and each time you cover it up when it isn't completely clean again, your adding more dirt.

Putting a spray wax on will not stop this from occurring.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I agree with using CarPro Reload as this a designed for a coated car. I have also had very good results with using CarPro Hydr02 as a maintenance step every 3 months or so. As mentioned above, this would be beneficial to a spray wax since it is a Si02 based product and also does not require you to touch the car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...649d8166b1dd04
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

gotcha i guess ill pony up and try some of the carpro stuff lol once i get my yearly detail again ill probably stop using the car cover also and only use it in the "winter" time
Old 01-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
I've always been told that coatings and the like, "protection packages" are hog-wash. I've always used a foam pad (lightly) on a car with swirls, only ever used Zaino products and it comes out like glass...

If there was something to the coatings and such, manufacturers would offer them. You can always contact Sal Zaino, he knows about this stuff.
Chris C 1SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
I've always been told that coatings and the like, "protection packages" are hog-wash. I've always used a foam pad (lightly) on a car with swirls, only ever used Zaino products and it comes out like glass...

If there was something to the coatings and such, manufacturers would offer them. You can always contact Sal Zaino, he knows about this stuff.
The packages that dealerships offer are, in-fact, hogwash. Just a cheap sealant that they over charge for 100 fold.

But when people mention coatings in here they are generally referring to ceramic, or si02 coating which are not Hig wash at all, and last for years. Do some research about them. I don’t believe Zaino offers them.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #12
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
I second Carpro products. I don't have my car coated yet but it is sealed with Reload and I've kinda gone back and forth with reload and hydro2 just to see what they're like. Next will be a coating. After a one step polish in the spring to remove the scratches the winter washing has caused.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #13
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Tango.
Chris C 1SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote