Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #57
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
Have you ever actually tracked a car in your life? "Sitting there spinning tires" is going to happen with this car no matter the tire unless of course you are talking drag radials or slicks.....do us all a favor, take them to a road course and after a lap or two when they have warmed properly, come back and spew your obvious knowledge about what terrible tires these are.....
Scott...
Agreed. The ZL1 track tests with the Goodyears prove that these tires are a great purpose built high performance summer tire. They are not an all season tire or a drag radial..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #58
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Are the nannies completely off?
All of them
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 AM   #59
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
Have you ever actually tracked a car in your life? "Sitting there spinning tires" is going to happen with this car no matter the tire unless of course you are talking drag radials or slicks.....do us all a favor, take them to a road course and after a lap or two when they have warmed properly, come back and spew your obvious knowledge about what terrible tires these are.....
Scott...
Even after lighting these up after a good drive they don't grip, and I'm not the only one with this opinion. My experience with these tires has not been good. I've tracked and straight lined plenty of cars, and I've built my own cars multiple times, I'm not some loud mouth who can't turn a wrench. When a tire sucks it just plain sucks
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #60
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Did the ZL1 that turned in the outstanding lap time at the ring do it on stock ZL1 tires?

IF they did turn in those times at the ring on our stock tires, then ????
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #61
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Did the ZL1 that turned in the outstanding lap time at the ring do it on stock ZL1 tires?

IF they did turn in those times at the ring on our stock tires, then ????
My thoughts exactly. To turn a 7:41 at the Nurburgring on the stock rubber must mean something... Maybe if they used "decent" tires it would have run a 7:21.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #62
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
Even after lighting these up after a good drive they don't grip, and I'm not the only one with this opinion. My experience with these tires has not been good. I've tracked and straight lined plenty of cars, and I've built my own cars multiple times, I'm not some loud mouth who can't turn a wrench. When a tire sucks it just plain sucks
Thats because they are NOT DR's nor is this a drag car. These tires, compound, tread pattern/blocks, are made for the ROAD COURSE!!!! THEY STICK AT THE COURSE IN SUMMER like glue, hence the description "ultimate summer performance". Now stop bitching about summer performance tires that wont hook up with 580hp in the middle of winter in a drag. No they do not hook up at 20*, in northern Wisconsin, on a drag strip. The only comparable tires are the PSS and they are a lot more $$.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #63
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Simply put, these tires are NOT zero to 40 treadwear DR's or autoX/road course R-comps. They are still street tires, soft to be sure, but still street tires.

They're most likely closer to the "street tires' used in SCCA's "Street Touring" classes, just in bigger sizes.

I would not expect them to respond all that strongly to burnouts - I've been driving on various max performance and higher street tires since before treadwear ratings were available, and nearly always on tires in the 220-ish range once TW values started being published.

Then too, perhaps you've done a sufficient number of burnouts to have heat-cycled some of the G.2's inherent grip out of them.

About the temperature sensitivity - believe it. The max summer performance tires that I am running on the Mustang (for 3 seasons) have lost a significant amount of grip by 45°F and gobs of it once you're down in the 30°s. Wheelspin is ridiculously easy just starting up with traffic from a light, which is my cue to swap them off for the OE tires that are somewhat better.

Sure, I probably could drive on them at 100 mph on a 25°F day or maybe down at 18°F. But the margin I would have against their reduced grip could get pretty damn small, and based on their low speed cold behavior I'm not about to experiment. Remember that the margin against ultimate tire grip is not something that you can tell how much is left until there isn't much left at all. I really don't want to be operating that close to the limits of what my tires can give me. On the public roads, nobody should.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #64
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Define "grip"...because that doesn't make any sense. I'll respect your experience and opinion...but stubbornly and insistently disagree with it.

I threw this car around VIR multiple laps in a row...the hotter they got, the stickier they got. And I don't use that term loosely: They stuck like GLUE. I also was lucky enough to have a ride around a wet VIR with Aaron Link that day, they stuck then, too - and with PTM 1 - it was still very very fast...temps were in the 60s.

Then, I threw a 1LE around Gingerman and couldn't believe what I was doing with that thing....

These experiences, together with my 8000 miles on my own car...have allowed me to form the following conclusions:

- They DO stick...unbelievably, in fact, when you consider how they hustle 4050 lbs of car around...

- They wear quickly...but mostly because they start with so little tread depth to begin with.

- And they lose traction significantly as they cool down.

I'm not sure what your experiences have been with your car. But I have to assume they've not been the same as mine and some others speaking up in here. And I'm very sorry to hear that - because it's such a blast!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #65
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
I am a little late with this post, but I had the same issues with my 09 challenger. The car came stock with Goodyear Eagle F1’s. I gave everyone a heads up on one of the challenger forums I am on to check their tires. I managed to get 4 replacement tires for the car. I had to pay a few bucks because of tire wear. The Goodyear tire dealer prorated the tires and the the new ones I got were the same brand and style but at a hugh discount. But better to be safe with new tires than take a chance and blowing one at high speed.

Here is what I wrote and also some pics of the tires. This issue beats the hell out of me.

The tires are on the 2009 SRT, and they are the Goodyear F1’s, rear 255’s.

This is a post to remind people to check their tires. I have the original tires on the car from when I bought it from the dealership; also I am the original owner of the car. I have never done any burn outs in this car and this car has never seen any foul weather. The car is a 2009 and the mileage is less than 9000 km, I posted a pick of this odometer. When the car is stored for the winter it`s in a heated garage and the tires sit on plywood instead of the concrete floor, also I raise the car up on jack stands so only about 50% of the full weight of the car is resting on the tires over winter storage.

I decided to do a tire rotation on the car and when I had a look at one of the rear tires tread I couldn`t believe it. I posted a side pic of the tread, so you can see that there is still a lot of tread on the tire.

The other rear tire had a small crack in it around the same area. I am glad I had a look at my tires, like I said I don`t do burn outs but I like to open the car up and drive at high speeds. The last thing I need is a tire blow out.

The only thing I can think of is that this batch of tires had some flaws in them.

Like I said, this is a reminder for people to check their tires.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ernie scar; 02-09-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling
ernie scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #66
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
All I'm getting is red "X" 's and links to a forum that appears to require registration.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #67
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
Here are some pics of my tires from my last post. They are from my 2009 SRT Challenger with Goodyear Eagle F1's, I guess the last post didn't show the pictures, sorry about that.
Attached Images

Last edited by ernie scar; 02-10-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling
ernie scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #68
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
That's scary considering the average owner doesn't check their tires often enough. It looks a lot like the cracking that's shown in the Goodyear bulletin. Good thing they helped you with the cost of replacing the tires.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #69
Callchuck

Drives: 2012 ZL1 black camaro
I was not notified about tire issue

I bought my 2012 ZL1 last June from the local dealer in Cumming Ga. They knew I was buying my ZL1 as an everyday driver which I have been doing since I bought it. I love the car but as noted, the tires wore out after 6000 miles. I called GM on another matter about a possible recall on my ZL1, and this is where it all started. They asked me if I had any other issues with the car and I told them that the tires were already worn out and I drive it like and old man. The car has never seen a race track for track day and no burn outs on the street. I have been racing in the SCCA and NASA race series for over 10 years and still have one of the race cars parked in the garage that we still race. Anyway, they told me to take it to the dealer and have them inspect the tires. They inspected the car and reported to GM that is was Normal wear and nothing was wrong With the car or tires. It was not until then when I went back to the dealership that the service manager showed me the memos about the tires. I felt like the car was misrepresented when I purchased it because it was never disclosed this car cannot be driven in 40 degrees or colder weather. It is always 40 degrees or colder in Atlanta this time of year. Driving this car everyday and the dealership or GM never notifing me is a big concern. Without having any winter tires available for this car I am screwed.

Last edited by Callchuck; 02-11-2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Callchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #70
Misterleeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callchuck View Post
I bought my 2012 ZL1 last June from the local dealer in Cumming Ga. They knew I was buying my ZL1 as an everyday driver which I have been doing since I bought it. I love the car but as noted, the tires wore out after 6000 miles. I called GM on another matter about a possible recall on my ZL1, and this is where it all started. They asked me if I had any other issues with the car and I told them that the tires were already worn out and I drive it like and old man. The car has never seen a race track for track day and no burn outs on the street. I have been racing in the SCCA and NASA race series for over 10 years and still have one of the race cars parked in the garage that we still race. Anyway, they told me to take it to the dealer and have them inspect the tires. They inspected the car and reported to GM that is was Normal wear and nothing was wrong With the car or tires. It was not until then when I went back to the dealership that the service manager showed me the memos about the tires. I felt like the car was misrepresented when I purchased it because it was never disclosed this car cannot be driven in 40 degrees or colder weather. It is always 40 degrees or colder in Atlanta this time of year. Driving this car everyday and the dealership or GM never notifing me is a big concern. Without having any winter tires available for this car I am screwed.
Were the tires worn out (down to the wear bars), or were they cracked and ruined ? If they were the latter, than I believe GM/dealership should do something for you.

Performance tires wear out fast. Getting to the wear bars at 6k miles seems a little unusual, but not impossible with these tires.
Misterleeman is offline   Reply With Quote