Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
What I really like is that, there won't be a different engine for the the automatic SS, like they did the 5th gen SS. LT1 for auto and manual, same HP rating. That being said, I still want a manual.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #16
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
The LT1 has an elaborate oil separation system built into both valve covers, but that's interesting to hear the C7 owners experiences.

There is a video of them cleaning a 15 vett valves (coking I think is what they call the issue) with 15,000 mile if I remember the mileage correctly. I am looking for it now. I guess GM means catch can by saying oil separator. IF not I would put one on. GM tends not to get it right, right off the bat. Would not slow me down getting the LT1 engine though.

The guys/gals running the new trucks with the DI 5.3 and 6.2 are throwing the catch cans on just as added measure. At 150-300 bucks not a bad mod and see what you catch.

Edit: some on Vett sites are saying problems even with a catch can some not. GM maybe working on this but I will go into a DI with catch can. May have to use cleaning services in future.

Last edited by Stex; 05-20-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #17
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
The difference between LT1 and the LS3 is drastic.

The two engines practically only share their displacement and perhaps the two bolts.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
There is a video of them cleaning a 15 vett valves (coking I think is what they call the issue) with 15,000 mile if I remember the mileage correctly. I am looking for it now. I guess GM means catch can by saying oil separator. IF not I would put one on. GM tends not to get it right, right off the bat. Would not slow me down getting the LT1 engine though.

The guys/gals running the new trucks with the DI 5.3 and 6.2 are throwing the catch cans on just as added measure. At 150-300 bucks not a bad mod and see what you catch.
I was just watching a video of a C7 Z51 with 5500 miles on it and there was oil all inside the intake, the manifold and the valves. The valves had a decent layer of carbon on them too.

I'm surprised OEMs don't put catch cans on their cars. If anything, they would help cut down on oil ingestion.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin14 View Post
Not being the engine guru some of you are, I was wondering if someone could explain just some of the major differences?

Thanks
Dave
http://www.superchevy.com/news/ghtp-...1-small-block/

Read that article for more details, but as an overview ...

Whats different between the LS3 and the LT1 is everything except for whats shown here:

If that article is too technical for you ... the LT1 is part of an all new generation of small block that shares only the basics with its predecessors like the LS3. The key differences between the LS3 and the LT1 are direct injection and variable valve timing (still waiting to see if it indeed the manual doesn't get AFM or if that was some mistake on Saturday). Direct injection allows for a higher compression ratio, which produces more power while consuming less fuel. Variable valve gives the engine a cam profile that doesn't need to make much of a compromise between low & high rpms. This means that it will have plenty of grunt down low without running out of steam up top.

I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff about optimized air paths and improved cooling control and other such things, but those are the biggies.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #20
obzidian

The new cylinder head design and piston tops is enough to put the ls3 in the stone age.

Btw.. the lsx engines were/are very oil thirsty too. Anyone who says otherwise has bever owned one.

Old ls1's used to suck down a quart of oil every oil change.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #21
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
My question is, if the new Camaro has an oil separator already, where exactly is the oil going, and do we need to empty it, like an aftermarket catch can?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #22
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
The new cylinder head design and piston tops is enough to put the ls3 in the stone age.

Btw.. the lsx engines were/are very oil thirsty too. Anyone who says otherwise has bever owned one.

Old ls1's used to suck down a quart of oil every oil change.
I put on a breather and ditched the pcv on my ls1. Problem solved. Just have to change the oil more often if the car sits a while ( oil gets contaminated quicker being more exposed to open air is the downfall to this)

I put a catch can on my 2010 and changed oil at 5k with synthetic. Never got more than about half a quart typically. It was improved over the ls1 for sure... In my experience.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #23
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
The real treat of the lt1 isn't just "peak" numbers but its awesome poweband. It'll pull from anywhere and keep pulling till redline. Way more low/mid range grunt then a ls3.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #24
obzidian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
I put on a breather and ditched the pcv on my ls1. Problem solved. Just have to change the oil more often if the car sits a while ( oil gets contaminated quicker being more exposed to open air is the downfall to this)

I put a catch can on my 2010 and changed oil at 5k with synthetic. Never got more than about half a quart typically. It was improved over the ls1 for sure... In my experience.
How often did you wipe the underside of your hood?
Old 05-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #25
obzidian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
The real treat of the lt1 isn't just "peak" numbers but its awesome poweband. It'll pull from anywhere and keep pulling till redline. Way more low/mid range grunt then a ls3.

That and the new top end of the LT1 was designed to be FI friendly.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #26
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
There are countless articles highlighting the details on the Gen V LT1. Here is a GM engine dyno graph (in metric) comparing the two. I thought I read where the LT1 is heavier fully dressed with all of the accessories compared to the LS3, but I'm not sure.

DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #27
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
How often did you wipe the underside of your hood?
It was a popular swap/ option at the time to solve oil consumption issues quickly, easily and cheaply with one major drawback. It's been a few years ( put it into a tree and totaled it in 06 being 21 and stupid) and I can't recall the company but the breather was designed not to make a mess. I noticed slightly more of a smell with the hood open at times (when hot especially) would be about it but don't recall the underside of the hood ever being overly dirty/oily .

I was mainly worried/ warned about the problem of accelerated oil contamination from open air to the crank case. As much as I drove it in the summer (a lot) I would just change it after about 2000 miles, which didn't take long and I used conventional. If ones driving habits didn't reflect those somewhat and the owner didn't change oil more frequently it could obviously pose the risk of increased engine wear. Their were some other band aid options that helped but never totally fixed the issue that could be done as well for those that didn't like the breather idea. Hate to say it but the pcv design in the ls1 was poorly engineered in a lot of ways and resulted in oil consumption. Don't know how many intake manifolds filled with oil pics I seen on ls1tech lol.

*Just noticed you have a 98 camaro turbo... Guessing I wasted my time typing that up for you. Probably already knew most of that I'm sure. It's getting late...

How fast is it lol ?

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 05-21-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 AM   #28
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53 View Post
I owned a '10 Corvette GS with LS3 and now own a '14 C7 with LT1 and you cannot believe the seat of the pants difference between the two engines. The power comes on at a much lower RPM with the LT1.

Just noticed I better change my avatar to one with my Camaro and C7. Picture time the next sunny day.
Don't get me wrong I like low end torque. But I loved how my ls1 and ls3 were top end screamers when I did h/c on them.

I've heard some people talking it feels flat up top but the graphs would seem to disagree.

What's your take on top end pull between ls3 and lt1?