Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #29
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post
One other thing that I wanted to mention is how ingenious Chevrolet was to premier this 6th Gen Camaro about half a year before you could actually buy one.

If they had released it on the Chevrolet website, let's say a week before they would be ready to sell, many people's opinions may very well have been: "I don't know, maybe I'll wait a while" (or something similar).

But by releasing it early, so people could see it on Chevy's website, and they could see YouTube videos on it, and they could come into this forum and talk about it, and find more information every time they look on other sites, etc... It's building up such a desire for it that people will be so ready buy the time they can buy one that I think they will even sell more of them.

It's almost like as each day passes the new Camaro gets more and more awesome. I heard recently that there is an available wireless charging pad for cell phones that you can get in the 6th Gen. Just place your phone on it while driving and it's charging. Why is that amazing? Because in addition to not having to fuss with a cable, if you have music on your phone and you've synced it with your stereo using Bluetooth, you can play the music off of your phone through your speakers and you won't be using up battery while you do it.

This car just keeps getting better and better.
You do realize the cordless charging won't work unless your phone is equipped for it or you buy a special case to adapt your current phone to cordless charging.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #30
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Has anybody heard if the hp / tq numbers for the 2.0t Camaro are based on using premium or regular fuel ? I know Ford states 310 hp / 320 tq for the Mustang Ecoboost using 93 (!!) octane.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #31
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
I believe all three engines are rated at 91+ octane (aka Premium Fuel Only).
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #32
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
My understanding also, I think in the Playbook and maybe in the GM Media it states Premium Fuel Recommended.

As for the 2.0T, I can not conceive that anyone would use Regular (87) in any Forced Induction engine, but I know Chevy does for some of its FI engines such as the 1.4T.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #33
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You do realize the cordless charging won't work unless your phone is equipped for it or you buy a special case to adapt your current phone to cordless charging.
Yeah, that does make sense now that you mention it. I think a while back Energizer came up with a Charging Pad that allowed you to just place something on it and it would charge, but you had to attach a special device to whatever you wanted to charge first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
I believe all three engines are rated at 91+ octane (aka Premium Fuel Only).
Are you kidding me?!?! I would understand the 4-cylinder Turbo probably needing Premium Fuel (due to the Turbo), and maybe even the SS (because it's a Corvette engine) but I have been using Regular gas in my 2011 1LT since I bought it and I just can't believe they would make people use Premium now. That is something I will have to Seriously Consider before I buy it, and I will see what the dealer tells me too.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:

Are you kidding me?!?! I would understand the 4-cylinder Turbo probably needing Premium Fuel (due to the Turbo), and maybe even the SS (because it's a Corvette engine) but I have been using Regular gas in my 2011 1LT since I bought it and I just can't believe they would make people use Premium now. That is something I will have to Seriously Consider before I buy it, and I will see what the dealer tells me too.
From my 2015 Malibu manual (yes I have the 2.0 turbo)

If the vehicle has the 2.0L L4 turbo engine, use premium unleaded
gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted
octane rating of 91 or higher.Regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy
will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. If this
occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as
possible. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #35
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Did you sit in the rear seats by chance? Specs say there is less headroom and legroom, and at just 5'8", I couldn't even sit upright in the back of the 5th gen. I've had 2nd gens and 3rd gens and ridden in the back of 4th gens and I could fit into all of those (barely, and only if the front seats were not back too far). It sounds like the 6th gen back seats will be the smallest ever, and unusable for anyone over the age of 8 (or thereabouts). However, I guess 8 or so years is quite a while if you need to shuttle around 2-3 kids in it.

As for practicality, other than the (probably smallest ever for Camaro) back seats, the Stingray honestly beats the 6th gen in every aspect (albeit for more $$$). It's smaller in every external dimension and has better visibility (so I read) so easier to deal with traffic and parking, it has a much larger rear opening and just as much (or more?) luggage capacity, and is lighter and more aerodynamic so gets better gas mileage to boot (than an SS anyway). Not to take away anything from the 6th gen, but for those of us without kids (or with older ones) and who can afford it, I feel that the Stingray is the more practical choice.

I personally did not get a chance to sit in the back seat. Mr Wyndham did get in the back seat with someone up front that was 6' and said its not confining, but its not overly spacious in the rear either.
Quote:
Thank you for posting the Trunk Shot. Again, not a deal breaker, but I thought they would have opened it a little more. It really does look like they have room to.

Oh, and after seeing your picture of the gas cap, I almost think it's better now. This way it can't be accidentally cross threaded when putting it back on. Just insert the pump handle, and go.

I wonder if anyone knows if the windows will still index. You know how they open a little, when you open the door, and then close up again when you close the door. I'm assuming they will, but nobody has talked about it yet.
in addition to the cross threading, it also eliminates the vapor issue of not screwing the cap on fully that can sometimes pop an SES light.

I believe the windows index. I don't see how they would take the feature off the car from the 5th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
How did it feel, driving a million dollar car?
Too fast?
In the rain?

Good write-up, thanks
no comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Awesome history and review. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
My thought are that this car will impress alot of people as time goes..

The 5th gen started kindda poor performance wise, and ended up creating it's own class of car. A league of it's own, much like the Nissan GTR did. Using the Zeta platform GM made future legendary vehicles in mainly the 1LE and Z28. Almost physics defying performance for their starting point when launched.

What will GM not be able to do with the 6th gen then?
Im guessing even greater things. We might not see a 7liter LTx, but im confident we will se "halo" variations of the 6th gen one way or another.

Everytime i see pictures the styling grows on me. Some people say GM was lazy and didnt come up with something "new".
The way i see it they made the difficult bold and logical thing to improve on what was already quite the car. When porsche does it, people applaud it. In time, people wil do so to with the camaro. Why invent the wheel every time and go with the flow of what is new and trendy? I prefer they took a winning formula and improved on it. Not only visually, but in every other aspect as well.

It defintely creates ripples in the automotive world already. I just visited the mustang forum to check their reactions out. Some like it. Some fear it. And some wishes GM people hung from the trees and head bashed in with a bat(i kid you not).
The worst that could happen would be for people to not notice. So far people are defintely noticing it!

Those are my thoughts one week after the reveal.
There's a few companies that already have 7.0 LT1's in their stingrays... I can pass their contact information on to you if you want.

GM will have another "halo" camaro for this gen. whether its a ZL1 or a Z28 has yet to be determined. I would imagine that the 1LE package might make a return after a year or so. but considering the 6th gen is already outperforming the 5th gen 1LE, GM might not push for it and focus more on the Z car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
I too like the new handbrake and push button start.
What im not liking is the complexity of these systems. But. All cars get increasingly complicated so thats something i worry about in all new cars.
I like push button start, but I'm not a fan of electronic parking brakes. I like mechanical linkages personally. I know its a weight savings and all that, but electronics can fail. sometimes with disastrous results. That and its a lot harder to do a handbrake turn with a pushbutton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
It's amazing how GM was able to meld the 5th gen with the new Corvette. I like it, and I like how it represents as a new Camaro without making the last one look "old". They stand as two different cars with a family heritage, and both look great.
The design team for the Stingray also worked on the 6th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Nice wall "o" text there spike! Lol

Next time you're driving me around all weekend in your sixth gen!

Quote:
One other thing that I wanted to mention is how ingenious Chevrolet was to premier this 6th Gen Camaro about half a year before you could actually buy one.

If they had released it on the Chevrolet website, let's say a week before they would be ready to sell, many people's opinions may very well have been: "I don't know, maybe I'll wait a while" (or something similar).

But by releasing it early, so people could see it on Chevy's website, and they could see YouTube videos on it, and they could come into this forum and talk about it, and find more information every time they look on other sites, etc... It's building up such a desire for it that people will be so ready buy the time they can buy one that I think they will even sell more of them.

It's almost like as each day passes the new Camaro gets more and more awesome. I heard recently that there is an available wireless charging pad for cell phones that you can get in the 6th Gen. Just place your phone on it while driving and it's charging. Why is that amazing? Because in addition to not having to fuss with a cable, if you have music on your phone and you've synced it with your stereo using Bluetooth, you can play the music off of your phone through your speakers and you won't be using up battery while you do it.

This car just keeps getting better and better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Spike, a very nice and concise article about the new car. I completely understand your "lust" for the C7 Stingray. I lusted after the stripper as well but I brought her home with no regrets. My 2012 ZL1 wasn't real happy with her new bunk mate but they have stopped bickering about garage space for the moment. The one question I have for you is about the seats. You said that the sixth gen. has better bolstering and holds you better. Is that better than the stock fifth gen. seats? and, are they better than then the fifth gen. Recaro seats? Thanks i appreciate the feedback.
For the seats, its a relative thing. To me, they feel more fitting than the stock 5th gen seats. but my butt might be the perfect size for it too.
It feels similar to the stock Stingray seats for comparison.
As for better than the 5th gen recaros, I can't speak to much of that.
I haven't gotten a lot of (drivers) seat time with the recaros to compare. The last time I drove a 1LE with recaros, I never got above 30mph. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
My understanding also, I think in the Playbook and maybe in the GM Media it states Premium Fuel Recommended.

As for the 2.0T, I can not conceive that anyone would use Regular (87) in any Forced Induction engine, but I know Chevy does for some of its FI engines such as the 1.4T.

Laborsmith
Gotta keep in mind tho that with all the engines moving to direct injection, they can run lower octane requirements even with forced induction.

Quote:
Yeah, that does make sense now that you mention it. I think a while back Energizer came up with a Charging Pad that allowed you to just place something on it and it would charge, but you had to attach a special device to whatever you wanted to charge first.

you can run on 87, people have been doing it for decades.
And IIRC, the LLT v6 has 87 recommended doesnt it?
I believe theres a few fuel comparison tests out there showing power/mpg/etc with different octane levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
From my 2015 Malibu manual (yes I have the 2.0 turbo)

If the vehicle has the 2.0L L4 turbo engine, use premium unleaded
gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted
octane rating of 91 or higher.Regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy
will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. If this
occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as
possible. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged.
yup
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #36
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
"For the seats, its a relative thing. To me, they feel more fitting than the stock 5th gen seats. but my butt might be the perfect size for it too.
It feels similar to the stock Stingray seats for comparison.
As for better than the 5th gen recaros, I can't speak to much of that.
I haven't gotten a lot of (drivers) seat time with the recaro.lol"

Thanks Spike, telling me that they are like the Stingray seats is very helpful. Sounds like they have a lot more bolstering then fifth gen. seats. Always a good thing.