Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 11-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Need help finding a differential shop in the Austin area

Called a few local places to see how much they'd charge for swapping out the gears. Most have never done them on this car and one guy said 3k and told me I'm better off replacing it with a complete unit..

Anyone know of any shops around here who has done the swaps and at a reasonable price? Thanks
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
for 3k, just come to houston and book a room for the overnight stay, or maybe you could line it up in such a fashion that you don't need to stay overnight if you plan it well enough...PLENTY of choices in this area
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
for 3k, just come to houston and book a room for the overnight stay, or maybe you could line it up in such a fashion that you don't need to stay overnight if you plan it well enough...PLENTY of choices in this area
Wouldn't mind but I'm not looking to spend anywhere near 3k or go to Houston, lol.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
ShawnHX

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Procharged/Cammed
ADM was $1400 in DAllas, HP in Katy was about the same. I dont know anyone in Austin area that has a ton of experience with the Camaro rear end....
2010 2SS/RS, D1 Procharger @ 11lbs with Stage II intake, BTR Stage III CAM, ported intake, 2" Kooks LT's with full Kooks exhaust, ID1000's, LPE Dual fuel pump, KB BAP, VMAX thottle body, MGW Shift assembly, BMR LCA, springs, toe rods, trailing arms, Mickey Thompson DR's, Rohana wheels, Billet fuel rails, ZL1 rockers and Front end, Heritage Grill

753rwhp / 670rwtq
ShawnHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnHX View Post
ADM was $1400 in DAllas, HP in Katy was about the same. I dont know anyone in Austin area that has a ton of experience with the Camaro rear end....
Called two local Chevy dealers near me for the 1LE 3.91 gear. One quoted at 10 hours labor for replacement, the other quoted me at 6 hours! Going to get it done at the dealer and they'll do the recal too!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Who did you contact in Austin? No reason giving you the same people you have already spoke with.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortious View Post
Who did you contact in Austin? No reason giving you the same people you have already spoke with.
Aikmans. S 1st said they never did it on that model so they weren't sure how it's done. I'll get it done at the dealer for the six hours of labor, and they'll reprogram it too.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
mtmtx

Drives: 2SS/RS convertible, 6M
Send a message via Yahoo to mtmtx
Which dealer? I would like to get in line behind you!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmtx View Post
Which dealer? I would like to get in line behind you!
Henna. Mark Wilson was the one I spoke with. I haven't had mine done yet, so I don't know exactly what the price will be. But he emailed me and said 6 hours of labor with programming. I also checked Capitol Chevy and they said 1200+ twice, so I hope Hennas price is really 600.

The one thing about Henna though. I had a 2012 Silverado and had the pinion gear seal replaced because it was leaking. I had to go back a second time to get it fixed beacuse it leaked again so I am a bit hesitate about bringing the Camaro there, especially to have this gear touched.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
tmaleck

Drives: Replacement 2SS 'Vert 67 Cutlass
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Henna. Mark Wilson was the one I spoke with. I haven't had mine done yet, so I don't know exactly what the price will be. But he emailed me and said 6 hours of labor with programming. I also checked Capitol Chevy and they said 1200+ twice, so I hope Hennas price is really 600.

The one thing about Henna though. I had a 2012 Silverado and had the pinion gear seal replaced because it was leaking. I had to go back a second time to get it fixed beacuse it leaked again so I am a bit hesitate about bringing the Camaro there, especially to have this gear touched.
I tried Capitol last week to get a spare key made for my new 'vert. The parts guy was unable to understand what I wanted or how to get a fob programmed for less than $300 and a trip to the service dept. This is my third try with Capitol, and my last.
Tim
tmaleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
I have received several referrals to these guys...
http://www.seguinequipment.com/

I haven't had the diff rebuilt and the gears put in yet, but the gentleman I spoke to on the phone asked me all the right questions, and gave me the answers i was looking for.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #12
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaleck View Post
I tried Capitol last week to get a spare key made for my new 'vert. The parts guy was unable to understand what I wanted or how to get a fob programmed for less than $300 and a trip to the service dept. This is my third try with Capitol, and my last.
Tim
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about them myself. I want GM to install it to retain the warranty and them supposedly knowing how to do it.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
havelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
I have received several referrals to these guys...
http://www.seguinequipment.com/

I haven't had the diff rebuilt and the gears put in yet, but the gentleman I spoke to on the phone asked me all the right questions, and gave me the answers i was looking for.
Nice. Know what the cost was?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #14
tmaleck

Drives: Replacement 2SS 'Vert 67 Cutlass
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about them myself. I want GM to install it to retain the warranty and them supposedly knowing how to do it.
I used Valmark to do the one service done on my 2LT. I work in New Braunfels, so it was easy. The seem to do good work.
Tim
tmaleck is offline   Reply With Quote