Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Focus ST - Anyone have one?

Saw a 2013 Focus ST yesterday. Has the ST2 package so its got the Ricardo seats. 252hp & 270 torque w/ the six speed & 26mpg real world is fairly impressive. Since I really need a hatchback or SUV as a dd it's tempting. The one thing keeping me from this specific one is it being yellow (no offense to the Transformer Camaro crowd).

Wondering if anyone has driven one long term or knows anything about them. Also would have to spend a few bucks for winter tires which is something I'm not too thrilled about. Another one I like is the Subaru Crosstrek but it's only 148hp & AWD - so I'm not sure it can get out its own way going up a good hill.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
If you like the Crosstrek, you might like the Forester XT. 250hp.
The Focus ST is a very impressive car.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
If you like the Crosstrek, you might like the Forester XT. 250hp.
The Focus ST is a very impressive car.
THis, or what about a WRX? THey can get out of their own way
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
WRX is great but you mentioned a hatchback or SUV.
Insurance could be expensive on the WRX.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Member scrming on here has one. He has performance mods and a tune on it as well....makes way over 300 TQ...like 350TQ I think.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
WRX is great but you mentioned a hatchback or SUV.
Insurance could be expensive on the WRX.
WRX comes in Sedan or Hatchback or have they discontinued the hatchback? Probably right about the insurance though.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
dkp2LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Trying to stay cheap!

Dealer has a '13 ST w/ 10k miles pretty much loaded for $23.5k which is an excellent asking price. Bought 2 cars from them so far & they're an honest Ford dealer.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
Trying to stay cheap!

Dealer has a '13 ST w/ 10k miles pretty much loaded for $23.5k which is an excellent asking price. Bought 2 cars from them so far & they're an honest Ford dealer.
You can easily get a WRX hatch with similar miles for the same price. New WRXs aren't much more than that. The ST is a great car for the $ though. The ST has a nicer interior too. Somebody else mentioned scrming has one, I saw him post about it in another thread.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Love my Focus ST!

I have an ST2, with moon roof. I have about 12,000 miles on her... and those are not easy miles either! This car is an absolute blast around town! Straight line it's fairly quick, but it's in the corners the ST really shines.

The ST2 and ST3 do come with Recaro seats... They are pretty agressive seats! Definitely keep you snugly in place! LOL

The aftermarket companies are jumping on the ST bandwagon, making a lot of options available.... One of the biggest things is a tune. The 2.0 EcoBoost is pretty detuned from the factory. Here is one of my later dyno sheets.

Made this video the 2nd day I had the ST... 100% stock:

Little video showing 3rd and 4th gear pulls:

And just for fun:

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I would love to have one of those as my DD...
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
dkp2LT

Hummm.. Getting more interested... May go look at one of them this week.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Fiveg56

Drives: -
I just test drove one yesterday. The car was quick, but the seats were terrible. It was a ST2 with the Recaro seats and I was extremely uncomfortable. The transmission also left something to be desired, as the throws seemed pretty long. Also, the torque management system lead to some pretty strange/artificial feedback through the steering wheel. All in all, it was a cool little car, but I’d probably buy one at the entry level with normal seats (they start at around $23,200).
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I just test drove one yesterday. The car was quick, but the seats were terrible. It was a ST2 with the Recaro seats and I was extremely uncomfortable. The transmission also left something to be desired, as the throws seemed pretty long. Also, the torque management system lead to some pretty strange/artificial feedback through the steering wheel. All in all, it was a cool little car, but I’d probably buy one at the entry level with normal seats (they start at around $23,200).
I am very morbidly obese. The first time I simply sat in an ST2, it was horribly uncomfortable... to the point i didn't even bother to ask for test drive. Couple weeks later I was talking with a different salesman, who I insisted I take an actually test drive. Got in the ST and pointed out how uncomfortable I was and there was no point in a test drive.... Well, he wouldn't give up... he insisted I actually drive it for a while... Much to my amazement, after about 10 miles I completely forgot about the seats and was blasting around town with a huge smile on my face! LOL! Bottom line, you have to get some real seat time in the Recaros..

Yes, the shifter is amazingly LONG! No doubt about that! While it is a very long shifter, it's seem to work pretty well. I've basically never missed a single shift... I probably have 50 or so passes at the drag strip. If you are so inclined, Steeda does make a short throw shifter.

Speaking of shifting... if you do a really hard 1-2 shift you will get a horrendous BANG! The rear motor mount is really way to soft, so on a hard 1-2 shift, you get this bang and it feels like the motor is coming through the firewall! There are numerous aftermarket rear lower motor mounts that help eliminate the bang and help reduce wheel hop... I not only replaced the rear lower mount but also an upper mount as well...

I picked up my ST last October as my non-snow, daily driver...it's been a real blast so far!!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I am very morbidly obese. The first time I simply sat in an ST2, it was horribly uncomfortable... to the point i didn't even bother to ask for test drive. Couple weeks later I was talking with a different salesman, who I insisted I take an actually test drive. Got in the ST and pointed out how uncomfortable I was and there was no point in a test drive.... Well, he wouldn't give up... he insisted I actually drive it for a while... Much to my amazement, after about 10 miles I completely forgot about the seats and was blasting around town with a huge smile on my face! LOL! Bottom line, you have to get some real seat time in the Recaros..

Yes, the shifter is amazingly LONG! No doubt about that! While it is a very long shifter, it's seem to work pretty well. I've basically never missed a single shift... I probably have 50 or so passes at the drag strip. If you are so inclined, Steeda does make a short throw shifter.

Speaking of shifting... if you do a really hard 1-2 shift you will get a horrendous BANG! The rear motor mount is really way to soft, so on a hard 1-2 shift, you get this bang and it feels like the motor is coming through the firewall! There are numerous aftermarket rear lower motor mounts that help eliminate the bang and help reduce wheel hop... I not only replaced the rear lower mount but also an upper mount as well...

I picked up my ST last October as my non-snow, daily driver...it's been a real blast so far!!
Good info, thanks for posting.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote