Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Burnt_RS

Drives: '10 1LT/RS
GM has no shame. 2012+ steering wheel also in the buicks

I like the look of the new(er) steering wheel, but the use of it in the volt was enough to make me glad I have a 2010. I saw this today (maybe it's old news), but thought I'd share anyway Thanks GM. As if it wasn't enough already sharing Camaro and Vette colours with the most inexpensive models (gotta love driving the IOM Camaro and having an IOM Aveo, or whatever it's called now, pull up beside you). Oh well, had to vent. Things like this sure do p!ss you off. I understand parts commonality for mass production, but come on!

Maybe they can offer an RS package, they already do for the Cruize.
Attached Images

Burnt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
ex-SS-ve

That thing looks alot bigger and thinner then the one in my 13 zl1. Also looks like a wider gap at bottom where the two silver spokes meet.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Hmmn i think all car makes do this its called parts bin sharing its been around forever it saves money so the cars can be made cheaper. I for one would rather have a cheaper camaro than one costing 5 to 10 grand more cause its got exclusive parts and colors. Its a camaro not a exotic supercar its mass produced. I believe that wheel was in the buicks before the cruze. Oh and its not a Aveo anymore its a Sonic a much improved compact car have u driven one?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
Hmmn i think all car makes do this its called parts bin sharing its been around forever it saves money so the cars can be made cheaper. I for one would rather have a cheaper camaro than one costing 5 to 10 grand more cause its got exclusive parts and colors. Its a camaro not a exotic supercar its mass produced. I believe that wheel was in the buicks before the cruze. Oh and its not a Aveo anymore its a Sonic a much improved compact car have u driven one?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Burnt_RS

Drives: '10 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post

5-10 grand more? Other than some minor components, this is the only VISUAL part that is shared. And, it's a major one! I agree, use common parts to keep the cost to manufacture down, but i would pay slightly more to have a sportier car not share things like a steering wheel with other models in the lineup. Keep the common parts where I can't see them (brakes, cables, engines, etc) The blue-circle boys have their own steering wheel. Just saying is all. This is no different than having 14" Camaro-style plastic wheel covers. haha

I don't have anything nice to say about GM compact cars, so I wont respond to that.
Burnt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Oh come on! It's not like they put the Buick emblem in the middle of the steering wheel on the Camaro.
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_RS View Post
5-10 grand more? Other than some minor components, this is the only VISUAL part that is shared. And, it's a major one! I agree, use common parts to keep the cost to manufacture down, but i would pay slightly more to have a sportier car not share things like a steering wheel with other models in the lineup. Keep the common parts where I can't see them (brakes, cables, engines, etc) The blue-circle boys have their own steering wheel. Just saying is all. This is no different than having 14" Camaro-style plastic wheel covers. haha

I don't have anything nice to say about GM compact cars, so I wont respond to that.
Not so fast there...

MyLink, various buttons (door locks, window up/down), seats, speakers, fabric, stitching, paint....are all shared?

Even look at the old malibu steering wheel, that is shared with the top of the line zr1 vette...

The cost of making a one-off vehicle where all the parts are specifically for that vehicle is enormous.
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_RS View Post
I like the look of the new(er) steering wheel, but the use of it in the volt was enough to make me glad I have a 2010. I saw this today (maybe it's old news), but thought I'd share anyway Thanks GM. As if it wasn't enough already sharing Camaro and Vette colours with the most inexpensive models (gotta love driving the IOM Camaro and having an IOM Aveo, or whatever it's called now, pull up beside you). Oh well, had to vent. Things like this sure do p!ss you off. I understand parts commonality for mass production, but come on!

Maybe they can offer an RS package, they already do for the Cruize.

You would think the Buick people would be embarrassed considering the vehicle they are driving is more expensive eh. Sheeze some of the stuff you people cry about. I bet if you look closely they share a lot of technology. That wheel does not look like mine as I have thumb bolsters and the bottom hole is not that wide.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
I get what you are saying. You bought the Camaro for its unique features and distinctive styling. I completely understand that. Unfortunetly business doesn't work that way always and they will over the years lean toward cheaper cost cutting solutions more and more.

I do have to agree with you though that I hate it as well. I bought my 2011 - and a large unique styling feature that I loved was the retro inspired wheel - this is what made me chose it or the 2012.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
I have the newer steering wheel on my 12' and i like it. Very comfortable.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
It's a mass produced Camaro. It's not an Aston Martin. Take a chill pill and enjoy your Camaro.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #12
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
I like my steering wheel.........

Cant you find anything else to B!TCH about?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
They lost money on the 2010/2011 wheel. A bunch of people said they didn't like it so it got canned for a parts bin wheel, and we got a different dash and lock buttons on each door instead, which the cost of designing those probably surpassed any discounts by using a generic steering wheel.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
A 1969 Z28 with a standard steering wheel was also the same as a 1969 Nova 4 door. GM has been doing this for almost 50 years, no big deal. Really helps you years down the road if you need parts, lots of other cars to pull from.
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote