Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-19-2015, 02:18 AM   #113
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
If you’re going to lower the hood by an inch, why then block the view with superfluous bunting? Dunno."
This is my biggest beef with this car, is the Gauge cluster blocking your view. It's so out of place, compared to the rest of the front dashboard.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #114
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
Motor trend never ever pulled any punches when it came to the mediocre cars that the big 3 used to make. They were always high on the BMWs', Mercedes, and the like. ( I used to hate them for that...) Now that the General is making some world class/world beating vehicles, MT must all of the sudden be in GMs' back pocket.
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:39 AM   #115
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
Ya know, the small block Chevy, in all of it's variants has managed to shake things up time and again since 1955. That's something to be proud of if you're an American. That's right, an "archaic" push rod engine that is/was/will be (Jesus' engineering reference) so versatile of a platform it has powered everything from supercars to Harley Davidsons has done much more than any other engine that has ever been conceived. This thing has proved time and time again that the acronym, K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) is more than often the wisest way to go. All of those extra camshafts and valves just complicate things and in the long, run slow ya down...
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #116
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
What I meant was "in general", of course there are some people like you that would not fit. I liked the older Mustangs, but really none since the 1970 models ever appealed to me. I've always considered myself a Camaro guy but there are a couple generations I did not even consider buying, mainly because of my situation at the time. But I have at least driven every generation Camaro except the 6th. I'm afraid to drive a 6th....

I'm dying to drive the 6th gen Camaro. It certainly sounds like a benchmark car to reset my driving expectations against. I remember my first drive in a 3rd Gen IROC Camaro, that car was a revelation and the first time an American car made since the 60's exceeded my expectations. Plus compared to anything else sold at the time, it looked like a supercar. Shame the car did not evolve over its production run, but that was typical of North American cars at the time; build a great car then let it whither on the vine. That car might be why I'm disappointed in the new car actually, I guess I want the car to visually match the advances they've made in dynamics.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #117
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
I'm dying to drive the 6th gen Camaro. It certainly sounds like a benchmark car to reset my driving expectations against. I remember my first drive in a 3rd Gen IROC Camaro, that car was a revelation and the first time an American car made since the 60's exceeded my expectations. Plus compared to anything else sold at the time, it looked like a supercar. Shame the car did not evolve over its production run, but that was typical of North American cars at the time; build a great car then let it whither on the vine. That car might be why I'm disappointed in the new car actually, I guess I want the car to visually match the advances they've made in dynamics.
I don't understand, the new Mustang is just an evolution of the past generation, to me it looks very similar to the last generation, but you wanted the Camaro to be visibly much different than the previous generation? Shouldn't under your expectations the new Mustang should have looked completely different too?
Old 11-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #118
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
I don't understand, the new Mustang is just an evolution of the past generation, to me it looks very similar to the last generation, but you wanted the Camaro to be visibly much different than the previous generation? Shouldn't under your expectations the new Mustang should have looked completely different too?
The new Mustang looks far more different from its last generation than the Gen 5 to Gen 6 Camaro.

No reviews stated "while the styling remains largely unchanged" in regards to the Mustang, they did about the Camaro.

The Mustang focused on quality, refinement and building a better car this time around while maintaining performance, which they did.

The Camaro focused on delivering a new level of performance and driving dynamics while leaving the styling intact...which they also sid.

Different goals, both achieved.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #119
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The new Mustang looks far more different from its last generation than the Gen 5 to Gen 6 Camaro.

No reviews stated "while the styling remains largely unchanged" in regards to the Mustang, they did about the Camaro.

The Mustang focused on quality, refinement and building a better car this time around while maintaining performance, which they did.

The Camaro focused on delivering a new level of performance and driving dynamics while leaving the styling intact...which they also sid.

Guess it's just me but I have to look twice to make sure if its a new Mustang or old one when I see them. I have to see the side windows or tail end before I can tell, I just dont see that much difference. It's still evolutionary and not revolutionary.
I bet it's more that each generation of the Camaro has been significantly different from the one before it and people were expecting the same thing this time. I also think if there had not been the refresh in 14 there would not have been the comments about it being too similar.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #120
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post

The Camaro delivered on the "quality, refinement and building a better car" as well. Camaro delivered on every point, except for the "revolutionary" exterior sheetmetal that some felt was mandatory.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:44 AM   #121
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:

Never said it needed to look different, just evolve. The new Mustang looks lower, sleeker wider, whereas to my eyes (and as a potential buyer, that's all that matters), the new Camaro looks busy, and almost has an appearance of a 4 door sedan rendered as a coupe. I keep reading it's an evolution of the previous car but to me it looks the opposite. The previous car was clean, uncluttered, down to business looking. The only superfluous design element was the "gills" behind the doors. Take away the great colour options and it's not as sexy. It's like an overdone case of plastic surgery. Generally the Camaro has been a better looking car than the compatible Mustang. Just not this time. That's why, perhaps instead of trying to steel elements from the C5, maybe they would have been better off just reimagining the Camaro completely for the new platform. Frankly I'm not sure what disappointed me more, the weight gain of the Mustang or the looks of the Camaro. In either case, as they both sit right now, neither GM or Ford will be getting my money. I look forward to the refreshes.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 11-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #122
EE7

Drives: New
Quote:
Never said it needed to look different, just evolve. The new Mustang looks lower, sleeker wider, whereas to my eyes (and as a potential buyer, that's all that matters), the new Camaro looks busy, and almost has an appearance of a 4 door sedan rendered as a coupe. I keep reading it's an evolution of the previous car but to me it looks the opposite. The previous car was clean, uncluttered, down to business looking. The only superfluous design element was the "gills" behind the doors. Take away the great colour options and it's not as sexy. It's like an overdone case of plastic surgery. Generally the Camaro has been a better looking car than the compatible Mustang. Just not this time. That's why, perhaps instead of trying to steel elements from the C5, maybe they would have been better off just reimagining the Camaro completely for the new platform. Frankly I'm not sure what disappointed me more, the weight gain of the Mustang or the looks of the Camaro. In either case, as they both sit right now, neither GM or Ford will be getting my money. I look forward to the refreshes.
I'm confused as to how you think it looks like a four door sedan. It is leaner and way more streamlined than the outgoing 5th gen and smaller in every dimension. The only one of these cars that has anything that remotely resembles a sedan is the fusion-esque nose on the Mustang.
EE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #123
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
lol, have you even seen a 2016 Camaro?
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #124
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
lol, have you even seen a 2016 Camaro?

I was at the Belle Isle reveal.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #125
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
To me, the 6th gen Camaro makes the new Mustang and the 5th gen Camaro look absolutely soft. The 6th gen Camaro also makes the pre-refresh Camaro look like its a 20 year old box on wheels.

This is coming from someone who absolutely despised the 5th gen refresh, and did not initially like the 6th gen.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #126
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
See, I never really liked the 5th gen, and I owned one. It just looked too much like a 11/10 scale '69 Camaro to me, and not in a good way. (no offense to current 5th gen owners LOL.) The changes on the 6th gen are IMO just right, the same basic, classic '69 Camaro shape, yet made smaller, and more aggressive looking. To the point where they will have my business again.

The new Mustang is nice, I won't deny that. But I have two main issues with it. One, the front looks just like my daily driver (a new Ford Fusion), which I obviously think is a good looking car, and I get brand identity, but it's just too close. Two, the fit and finish on the new Mustangs is terrible, and it's very, very common. The hood to fender alinement is bad, and really can't be fixed without lots of work, the rear windows are commonly installed out of whack, and is a royal pain to fix, the bumpers side tabs are too weak and can crease the bumpers, etc, etc. It's all over the forums, and no better for the '16s. I have personally looked at over a dozen close up, and the fit and finish is very disappointing. The fit and finish on my '11 GT is spot on...not sure what happened.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote