Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I just watched gas monkey garage. They had a new 392 challenger....took the motor out of it and were attempting to put in 1970 challenger shaker. It was a nightmare from the beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
I remember seeing that episode. I just can't remember how it turned out.
I saw the episode too. Turned out perfect. The car looked and sounded amazing. They needed to work around the issue instead of giving up before even starting. I wonder where we would be in life if we just gave up on everything before trying, especially when we have the means to accomplish it.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #16
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaringa View Post
So what components do I need to swap? Can anyone help with guidance, please?
Seriously, remove the body, everything that is left you need. Besides the obvious motor, exhaust and trans, you need the rest of the drive train (drive shaft and rear diff), axles, hubs, all of the suspension components, all of the electronics (ECU, BCM, TCM if it is an auto), and all of the harnesses. You may also need a laptop with tuning software and knowledge or a shop close by that can do this for you.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #17
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Yeah...sell your V6 and part out the V8...If you play your cards right, you could end up with enough to buy a used V8 with low miles.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I saw the episode too. Turned out perfect. The car looked and sounded amazing. They needed to work around the issue instead of giving up before even starting. I wonder where we would be in life if we just gave up on everything before trying, especially when we have the means to accomplish it.
Im hoping to see that episode of it completed. They sure did alot of work....i wonder in real life just how diffulcult it was. Tv shows hide the good behind the scenes stuff.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #19
Chevycamarors@19

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro RS black
Quote:
Im hoping to see that episode of it completed. They sure did alot of work....i wonder in real life just how diffulcult it was. Tv shows hide the good behind the scenes stuff.
Not sure but im pretty sure I saw the car on Furious 7
Chevycamarors@19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #20
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevycamarors@19 View Post
Not sure but im pretty sure I saw the car on Furious 7
Really....I just watched that movie.....vin diesals car at the end was awesome.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #21
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
If it were me I would forget the SS, pull the LS3 and put it into a beater Porsche 944 with an "advanced adapters" bell housing.
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:17 AM   #22
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
It's super easy you just need a pen and sign your name like ten times at the Chevrolet dealership of your liking..
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #23
Chevycamarors@19

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro RS black
Quote:
Really....I just watched that movie.....vin diesals car at the end was awesome.
Yeahh wish I could explain which scene but don't wanna ruin the movie for anyone. Yes it was, I do wish it was more about the cars tho.
Chevycamarors@19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Being a mechanic and being able to do the work yourself is the difference here. I'm a mechanic and I don't see why it would be that big of a deal, maybe a little wiring and lots of swapping over. I would have done it if I had a wrecked ss for free. I would keep all the v6 body parts and brakes though and have a sleeper.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #25
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Being a mechanic and being able to do the work yourself is the difference here. I'm a mechanic and I don't see why it would be that big of a deal, maybe a little wiring and lots of swapping over. I would have done it if I had a wrecked ss for free. I would keep all the v6 body parts and brakes though and have a sleeper.

You might not see why it's a big deal, and I bet you'd make a really slick build but respectfully if you don't consider equipment like brakes something that at least deserves a very serious investigation when swapping a more powerful and heavier engine into a car, I have to say you're a great mechanic but only a great mechanic, and you've made a mistake. Being able to build things flawlessly will only take you so far. Knowing what to build is also key and is actually, arguably, more important than merely being a great mechanic.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #26
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
I just watched gas monkey garage. They had a new 392 challenger....took the motor out of it and were attempting to put in 1970 challenger shaker. It was a nightmare from the beginning.
That build put those guys to the point of just quitting. Never seen those guys so frustrated like that.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #27
skidawgz

Drives: 2004 Mustang v6 w/m112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Have you ever thought about getting a first gen Camaro shell and do a resto mod?
I have seen this done on Overhaulin and thought it was awesome, although I think it was a Firebird.
This.

I was going to join the crowd and say "don't do it" which is what you do not want to hear. I modified my Mustang v6 heavily and I can't wait to sell it for a Camaro soon.

If not, buy lots of tools and Tylenol, Advil, Eccedrin, or headache medicine of choice.
skidawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #28
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
You could always part the wreck one on ebay, LS3's can go for a couple thousand dollars. Use the money to buy a supercharger kit that you know will be easy to install and result in a successful project rather than end up with a car on the side of the house with tall grass around it and scrap wood stored underneath it.

Plus it would be cooler than a car that is a duplicate of something they sell at the dealer.
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote