Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
Getting into gear

I'm going to try my best to get this to make sense.

I have a 2014 SS automatic. CAI is the only thing I've done to it so far.

When I am driving, say about 40mph, casual driving, and I apply the gas, you can hear it sort of "get" into the gear. Or try to, then it does. I don't know of anyone else has had this, or even if I'm making sense.

After that second or two, it'll engage the gear and that's that. But it also will happen at about 60 as well.

It's a brand new car. Like July 2 brand new. What could the cause be you think??

Thanks a lot

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
You mean like down shifting?
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
camarocruzer

No, just the opposite. If I'm on the gas, accelerating, it moves through the gears fine.

But say I'm leisure or town driving. The car is going like 40ish mph and I apply the gas to accelerate easily as opposed to "passing" or gunning it. That's when it does it. Just before the throttle gets into the gas I guess you can say.

If it was happening while downshifting, I would probably call it some sort of transmission slipping. But it's happening when I am accelerating.

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
camarocruzer

Maybe some sort of issue with throttle response?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Getting into gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
No, just the opposite. If I'm on the gas, accelerating, it moves through the gears fine.

But say I'm leisure or town driving. The car is going like 40ish mph and I apply the gas to accelerate easily as opposed to "passing" or gunning it. That's when it does it. Just before the throttle gets into the gas I guess you can say.

If it was happening while downshifting, I would probably call it some sort of transmission slipping. But it's happening when I am accelerating.

Sounds like normal operation of the TCC locking up. Is it like a small spike in rpm's and then it seems to "buckle down?" If so, it's the TCC lockup.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Likely its just the stock trans tuning which is very soft. Or you're hearing the AFM reactivating the cylinders.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
It's the speed at 40 that's the transmissions sweet spot so it will shift in and out of gear depending on what side of 40 you're on. To avoid this happening, like every car I've had, just go 35 or 43 and you'll avoid the magical gear shift number.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Sounds like the normal operation of AFM. When cruising, AFM kicks in and deactivates 4 cylinders. When you accelerate, those 4 cyclinders reengage.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
camarocruzer

i wonder if a ptb would change things. i have one coming next week....

i am also getting my borla atak installed on tuesday. big things a coming.

i am still getting used to an auto, i traded in my M6 2011 SS to get this, and i expected this to have more ... "oomph" off the line, like the M6 did.

like i said, still getting used to it.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
camarocruzer

UPDATE:::

Ok so I went out for a long drive today. This is what I found.

In fully automatic mode (no paddles):

When I am going any speed, and in coast - ie no gas at all - then I apply even a small amount of gas, that is when I feel the "rumble strips" feeling. Any speed, not just 40.

You lower your foot more to give it more gas to get the engine to "kick in". But before that, that's when you feel the rumble strip feeling.

Now, when I am in Manual/sport mode using the paddles, this doesn't happen at all. It's all beautiful driving.

???

Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
It's the AFM and it sucks!
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
UPDATE:::

Ok so I went out for a long drive today. This is what I found.

In fully automatic mode (no paddles):

When I am going any speed, and in coast - ie no gas at all - then I apply even a small amount of gas, that is when I feel the "rumble strips" feeling. Any speed, not just 40.

You lower your foot more to give it more gas to get the engine to "kick in". But before that, that's when you feel the rumble strip feeling.

Now, when I am in Manual/sport mode using the paddles, this doesn't happen at all. It's all beautiful driving.

???
You just described my post to a tee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Sounds like the normal operation of AFM. When cruising, AFM kicks in and deactivates 4 cylinders. When you accelerate, those 4 cyclinders reengage.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
camarocruzer

Aha -- that makes sense......oh active fuel mgmt. I didn't know what the afm stood for.

so what do we do about it?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
camarocruzer

...... A tune.......?