Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a track day class.
YES 11 57.89%
Maybe depending..... 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
mtmtx

Drives: 2SS/RS convertible, 6M
Send a message via Yahoo to mtmtx
I need to find out their requirements for convertibles, but I am interested!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmtx View Post
I need to find out their requirements for convertibles, but I am interested!
From what little knowledge I have of these things I think you'll only need to keep the top up and helmet on.

I'll forward your question and get back to you.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
mtmtx

Drives: 2SS/RS convertible, 6M
Send a message via Yahoo to mtmtx
I talked to driveway yesterday. I can run the short loop, no speed runs. They require a cage on anything breaking 100 mph.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Answers from the track

Beth got back to me the other day but this is the first chance I've had to post what she said. Sounds good to me. The body of a second email is under this one.

(Email Response) #1

Let me know if you have any other questions. Another person from your general group named Keith came out yesterday and took a track tour.

Answers to your questions,
1) What is the general schedule - how much will be class room instruction vs. seat time?

Approximately 70% of the day is spent on track. The biggest portion of classroom time is at the beginning of the day where we go over safety, flags and the introduction to techniques. (30-45 minutes) Over the course of the day we'll cover seat position, hand and foot position, steering, braking and throttle techniques, reading the track, both surfaces, (slope), and types of corners, and weight transfer on the flat plane

2) What is the difference between 'Foundations of Road Racing' vs. 'Advanced Road Racing Techniques' - and are those the 2 options that are available to the group?

Foundations covers 90% of race/performance driving, Advanced Road Racing adds in elevation and high speed techniques. Foundations of Road Racing is a prerequisite for Advanced. Beyond that we also have a class called Advanced Race Craft which can be taken if you'd like to get your road racing license with SCCA or NASA. It deals with race traffic, passing, start procedures, maximizing your car for the race and just generally what to expect. Students who have gone through the whole series can then apply for their novice licenses through SCCA and NASA.

3) Does the instructor ride along the whole time? Or is it follow the leader type thing? Or both?

After the first classroom session we do a lead follow session to show students the line, after that it's a mix of instructor ride along and driving alone.

Convertible cars are fine for the Foundations class, they are allowed for the the Advanced course without a roll bar as long as the students head in a helmet is not higher than the windshield.

Beth StrelnieksSenior Racing Instructor
Driveway Austin
512-971-9100

(Email Response) #2

Hi Karl,

One last thing, I did look at your forum thread and noted that some folks were concerned about the cost. It is a lot of personalized instruction from experienced drivers with national level road racing licenses. From a race class perspective I have not seen a better deal for the amount of instruction and seat time. Additionally, once your group has gone thorough the class, any time y'all want to get together and come out you can drive during open practice, (there is practice time available every day we are open) and just pay by the session. $25 for 20 minutes on the upper course.
So singly, or in groups now you have a place to play relatively inexpensively.

If you go on to take the Advanced course, you can run any of the configurations of the track, upper course, elevation course or the full Grand Prix course. (Elevation course is $50 for 25 minute sessions and Grand Prix course is $100 for 30 minute sessions. There are also monthly unlimited packages available if people know they want to come out and run a lot of sessions)

(From Me)

I would think there's enough information here to make a choice and pick a date. I'd like to suggest the weekend of October 5th Sat or 6th Sun. Generally speaking I would only be able to do something on a Sunday, Monday, or a Tuesday due to work. I'm going to be on vacation during that particular weekend that's why I'm hoping to fit it in during that weekend.

We need at least 8 people willing and able to put half up front to secure the track on our chosen day. That's $175 each up front and the same on the day of. While I've not asked, I'm sure we can call in individually and put it on a card over the phone. I'll start a new reply and list the call signs of those ready to put down their hard earned cash for this event.

Thanks all and I'm really looking forward to this and meeting y'all.

:b urnrubber::bur nrubber:
Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

THOSE READY TO PLAY

List of people ready to put down 50% ($175) to hold the track for one day event. We need at least 8 to lock down the track.

1. Krazzyk01
2. RoadieWingZ
3. SSx2JAMES

Last edited by krazzyk01; 08-20-2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Add to body count
krazzyk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
white ZL1

Drives: none
I wish I were a little bit closer.

While the $350 isn't bad, Apex Driving Academy does HPDE days at Motorsports Ranch and their $185. That's probably a better option for me.
If I were closer to Austin and could take advantage of the open practice stuff on a semi-frequent basis, I'd be a whole lot more interested.

Plus, the weekend of 10/5 is the Camaro vs Mustang Shootout at Texas Motorplex and Apex is having an HPDE at Motorsports Ranch!
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post

While the $350 isn't bad, Apex Driving Academy does HPDE days at Motorsports Ranch and their $185. That's probably a better option for me.
If I were closer to Austin and could take advantage of the open practice stuff on a semi-frequent basis, I'd be a whole lot more interested.

Plus, the weekend of 10/5 is the Camaro vs Mustang Shootout at Texas Motorplex and Apex is having an HPDE at Motorsports Ranch!
Well...The date isn't set in stone. I'm good any Sunday and I'm on vacation from 9/22/2013 until 10/09/2013. So I've got a couple days open. Mom's coming down for a visit during that time too so I've got to plan around that as well. Besides, mom would love to see this! She's that cool.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post

I was just looking over Apex's website and their $185 class is their ADVANCED class.

Event Pricing

BYOC(Bring Your Own Car) Event Pricing

Novice Group - $225

Intermediate Group - $210

Advanced Group - $185

They are a bit cheaper but, like you indicated, are a bit out there for me. It's a solid 3 hour drive each way from Mid-Austin. I like the look of their track. Maybe someday I'll make it up there to run their course.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
SSx2JAMES

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS + 2010 Camaro SS
better chance for me on sun the 6th
SSx2JAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #24
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzyk01 View Post
List of people ready to put down 50% ($175) to hold the track for one day event. We need at least 8 to lock down the track.

1. Krazzyk01
2. RoadieWingZ
I'm good on Sundays generally speaking. I'm in for Oct 6 but can flex if needed to get enough participants.

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSx2JAMES View Post
better chance for me on sun the 6th

So is that a yes or still a maybe? I'm all about Sunday.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #26
SSx2JAMES

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS + 2010 Camaro SS
ok in for sun oct 6th
SSx2JAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #27
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSx2JAMES View Post
ok in for sun oct 6th
All right! Let's keep it going people!

Thanks for joining the group. Who's next?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #28
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
sorry guys - I'm already doing an autocross event on 10/6. I'll keep my eye on this thread if things change, otherwise I'll catch up with you next time around.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote