Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-14-2024, 08:45 PM   #15
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfin View Post
I had planned on changing the oil every 3000 miles instead
Of 7500. How often do you guys change your oil?
My schedule is every 3k miles

.....3100 miles if you wanna get specific. I do it every 5,000 km on the odometer to make it easy to remember. With the earlier first and second oil changes I'll have to do another early change to get it synched up with the 5,000 km mark (will I guess be at 10,000km by then).
I've always done that schedule with all my vehicles.
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:26 PM   #16
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
Totally agree. I've ignored the OLM in every vehicle I've ever owned. Those systems are designed for environmental reasons (less oil to dispose of) and so consumers believe they dont have to worry about maintenance for a year, or 10k miles. I guarantee they are not designed so your engine lasts 200k+ miles. It's every 3k-5k miles for me, or once a year whichever comes first.
That's why Mobil One has a 10k mile warranty, either change it by the oil life monitor or at 10k miles and Mobil One guarentees the motor. This is not the oil we grew up with in the 70s that was refined out of the ground with a certain amount of impurities it's synthetic and has no impurities just all the good stuff an engine needs. I used full syn in my last car and followed the monitor and it had 260k when I sold it and is still on the road and numerous of those oil changes went over 10k miles.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:15 AM   #17
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
That's why Mobil One has a 10k mile warranty, either change it by the oil life monitor or at 10k miles and Mobil One guarentees the motor. This is not the oil we grew up with in the 70s that was refined out of the ground with a certain amount of impurities it's synthetic and has no impurities just all the good stuff an engine needs. I used full syn in my last car and followed the monitor and it had 260k when I sold it and is still on the road and numerous of those oil changes went over 10k miles.
Lemme guess….. your last car had neither cylinder deactivation, variable valve timing/cam phasing, or direct gas injection.

Now, while I still won’t recommend anyone go longer than 5,000 on an oil change, its IMPERATIVE to change it at under 5k on these engines no matter what the oil life of Mobil 1 or your dealer or the manual says.

Old school fuel injection (and carburetors) delivered fuel through the intake manifold. So it cleaned your valves of soot and buildup on every cycle. Your valves could stay cleaner longer even if you went a little longer on the oil change.

With DI the injector is in the head itself, after the valve train. So the fuel can’t wash the intake valves. Now, if you change you oil every 5k or less you reduce your risk for that soot buildup called “coking”. Now, even if you follow the OLM, you exponentially increase the risk for coking.

Thats not me talking. Thats experienced machinists and engine builders who know a heck of a lot more about engines than me talking.

And variable cylinder management is a whole other can of beans.

Just change your oil every 5k unless you plan on selling the car before 80,000 miles then let the next guy deal with a walnut blast or vale job.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:08 AM   #18
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I had a 2016 focus st, di and turbo. Changed oil at 8-10k mile intervals. Sold it at 94k miles and it ran better than ever. It now has a tune and 110k miles no problems. I did put a dirty side occ on at 35 k miles. The lgx v6 has a strange crankcase vent system. My instinct tells me to change it at 4-5k intervals. Oil changes are very easy on the Camaro, no bottom pan to remove, and I love this car and want it to last.