Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Chuckster

Drives: 2012 2LT Convertible
From the factory or top enhancement?

I stop by dealers to check out the tops on both new and used Camaro Verts every chance I get. Up until finding this red SS in a dealer's new car inventory, I haven't found much that concerned me. Do you think it came from the factory this way, or has the dealership done the enhancement?
Attached Images

Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
That looks like nothing I have ever seen. My first 2012 had a crap top. The replacement had a different fabric. And my second 2012 is totally different. Did you happen to get the year or VIN off of it?
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
That piece is supposed to be tucked inside and that 5th bow is on it's way out.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Chuckster

Drives: 2012 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
That looks like nothing I have ever seen. My first 2012 had a crap top. The replacement had a different fabric. And my second 2012 is totally different. Did you happen to get the year or VIN off of it?
This is a new 2012. Hard to believe that a dealer would put this into their inventory looking like this. VIN is 2G1FT3DW7C9129308

Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
It is an early build. Probably around last September early October. Doesn't have the fix in it. Stay away from that one.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Rudy9929

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT Convertible
That is the exact same issue I have on my convertible (minus the 5th bow issue). The weatherstipping that is sticking out (triangular piece) pushes the top away from the body of the vehicle leaving a 1" gap. It binds as the top goes up and down. The dealership tried to repair it, then replaced it nothing fixed it. So they tried to center top on vehicle only causing other issues, I now have that triangular piece sticking out, air noise, water leaking in the passenger seat, and a pin hole. Chevy Engineering team has told my dealer that there is no fix. I asked my dealership what my next step was...they told me to call Chevy Customer assistance and start a claim. That's been a joke.

Last edited by Rudy9929; 06-25-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: edit for 5th bow
Rudy9929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
cactuseater

Drives: .
RUN !!
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy9929 View Post
That is the exact same issue I have on my convertible (minus the 5th bow issue). The weatherstipping that is sticking out (triangular piece) pushes the top away from the body of the vehicle leaving a 1" gap. It binds as the top goes up and down. The dealership tried to repair it, then replaced it nothing fixed it. So they tried to center top on vehicle only causing other issues, I now have that triangular piece sticking out, air noise, water leaking in the passenger seat, and a pin hole. Chevy Engineering team has told my dealer that there is no fix. I asked my dealership what my next step was...they told me to call Chevy Customer assistance and start a claim. That's been a joke.
I am sorry to hear about this! If you could please PM me with any information, including your case number with Chevrolet Customer Assistance, I will be able to see if there are any options available to you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
dpartch

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertable rs/ss
Mine had the exact same problem. No TBS so they refused to touch it. I have changed dealers. The problem is caused by the top down stop not being adjusted correctly. You may notice the top when down is not even. One side down the other up. Also there are 2 stops. It is the lower stop not the top stop.

When not adjusted the top folds wrong.

To fix it. First the stop screw needs to be adjusted to raise the top when down. Then you need to push in the weather striping that has been pushed out back in.

After that has been done you need to retrain the top when it folds. With the top down crab the bottom flap that folds wrong and pull so it folds out instead of under the top.

Let is sit in the hot sun for a day or 2 so the plastic reforms. You may need to do this for couple of days.

That should fix it.
dpartch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Uh oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikess581 View Post
...that 5th bow is on it's way out.
I thought the 5th bow was above the rear window. Is the 5th bow the one that runs around the rear lid?
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
5th bow is beneath the rear window, runs along the trunk deck lid.

When the 5th bow is bent or broken, the rear gasket/seal is really noticeable and protrudes out along the deck lid and the fabric will sag somewhat around the rear window. (Unfortunately, learned all that first hand)
IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Michael Rophone

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL-Tracker View Post
5th bow is beneath the rear window, runs along the trunk deck lid.
Thanks for the info. Mine looks OK, but I'll still not put the top down.

I noticed that not putting the top down does not prevent rear-window defogger wires or bows or cables from rubbing from within (while driving).

I guess when driving with the top up still wears on the fabric, it's time to say "bye-bye" to my big blue baby (with its original top).
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Thanks for the info. Mine looks OK, but I'll still not put the top down.

I noticed that not putting the top down does not prevent rear-window defogger wires or bows or cables from rubbing from within (while driving).

I guess when driving with the top up still wears on the fabric, it's time to say "bye-bye" to my big blue baby (with its original top).
Oh man sorry to hear that. Get that thing to a dealer bud. It's gotta get fixed right.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
Michael Rophone

Question Cause?

What breaks the 5th Bow?
Is it from putting the top up and down...or does it fail just by driving over bumpy roads?