Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
socalloser86

Drives: Empty garage
ZL1 VS. Hennessey

Hey there,

New to the forum and I currently do not own a Camaro. My truck will be paid off around the time the ZL1 will be available. Im having a dellima about what to do when It comes time to get some Chevy muscle. Should I get an SS and have it upgraded by Hennessey or go with the new ZL1. What are the pros and cons of each and why is it so hard to come by some pricing on the Hennessy upgrade kits? Any idea on how much an HPE600 kit costs? What would be the biggest bang for my buck? A Hennessy kit or the ZL1? HELP PLEASE!!! Ready to buy in February 2012.
socalloser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
For the money, I'm not sure it'll be easy to beat ZL1 for value, performance, and a complete package. Look at what we know of ZL1 from GM and compare.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Again we say that the ZL-1 need to be released to actually compare.. the Hennessey surely is a beast and yet to find out the similarity with the ZL-1.

Right now i can only see their comparison with the appearance and accessories.
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
The problem I can tell you right now is that the dealer mark up is going to be stupid crazy come Feb. Good luck finding one at sticker. I would get one if they had one at sticker but I know I will have to wait a while.
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
socalloser86

Drives: Empty garage
Yeah, this is true. I guess it All depends on the price of the ZL1 when it actually comes out. Plus the ZL1 will have a better warranty then what Hennessey has to offer. I would just prefer a car in the 600 - 650 HP range. Chevy would be stupid to mark that thing up any higher than 50K base price. It would still be nice to know what a price is on a hennessey 600 or 650 package.
socalloser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Sales@Hennessey

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Sales@Hennessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalloser86 View Post
Hey there,

New to the forum and I currently do not own a Camaro. My truck will be paid off around the time the ZL1 will be available. Im having a dellima about what to do when It comes time to get some Chevy muscle. Should I get an SS and have it upgraded by Hennessey or go with the new ZL1. What are the pros and cons of each and why is it so hard to come by some pricing on the Hennessy upgrade kits? Any idea on how much an HPE600 kit costs? What would be the biggest bang for my buck? A Hennessy kit or the ZL1? HELP PLEASE!!! Ready to buy in February 2012.
Thank you for the post. The ZL1 is scheduled to be released with the LSA Engine, creating around 556bhp. It will be available for order in January 2012. If you would like to have a Camaro now with the same or more HP, that is where we come into play. Our HPE550 package offers our owners 562bhp for a fraction of the price. For those who want to be more powerful than the ZL1, we also offer our HPE600 and HPE650 Packages, all of which are available for both Manual and Automatic transmissions. While none of us know all the details on the ZL1, we do know that its going to be a highly sought after vehicle and dealers will definitely try to mark them up. Hennessey Performance Packages are set in price and can be installed on to any SS Camaro, including the convertibles.

Hennessey Vehicles are recognized by the NADA Guides and carry a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty up to 600hp that is serviced by your local dealer. In short, if you want power and performance now, we have the options available. If you decide to wait on the ZL1, we will also have performance packages available for that as well!

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to email me at james@hennesseyperformance.com. Look forward to speaking to you soon.

James
Sales@Hennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_h View Post
Again we say that the ZL-1 need to be released to actually compare.. the Hennessey surely is a beast and yet to find out the similarity with the ZL-1.

Right now i can only see their comparison with the appearance and accessories.
Uh huh. Is it that hard to compare; at least by proxy? What's your point? Are you going to knock down ZL1 just because it's not here yet and completely disqualify it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upheval View Post
The problem I can tell you right now is that the dealer mark up is going to be stupid crazy come Feb. Good luck finding one at sticker. I would get one if they had one at sticker but I know I will have to wait a while.
I bet you're right. But - if you don't want to pay mark-up - DON'T. I don't plan on it. Sure - it'll take longer and take some extra legwork, but there's no reason to let yourself get ripped off unless you want to. It's anyone's choice to pay mark-up.

Quote:
Yeah, this is true. I guess it All depends on the price of the ZL1 when it actually comes out. Plus the ZL1 will have a better warranty then what Hennessey has to offer. I would just prefer a car in the 600 - 650 HP range. Chevy would be stupid to mark that thing up any higher than 50K base price. It would still be nice to know what a price is on a hennessey 600 or 650 package.
Head on over to Hennessey's site and check out what they have to offer you Heck - give 'em a call! I'm sure they're happy to help anyone out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Hennessey View Post
Thank you for the post. The ZL1 is scheduled to be released with the LSA Engine, creating around 556bhp. It will be available for order in January 2012. If you would like to have a Camaro now with the same or more HP, that is where we come into play. Our HPE550 package offers our owners 562bhp for a fraction of the price. For those who want to be more powerful than the ZL1, we also offer our HPE600 and HPE650 Packages, all of which are available for both Manual and Automatic transmissions. While none of us know all the details on the ZL1, we do know that its going to be a highly sought after vehicle and dealers will definitely try to mark them up. Hennessey Performance Packages are set in price and can be installed on to any SS Camaro, including the convertibles.

Hennessey Vehicles are recognized by the NADA Guides and carry a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty up to 600hp that is serviced by your local dealer. In short, if you want power and performance now, we have the options available. If you decide to wait on the ZL1, we will also have performance packages available for that as well!

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to email me at james@hennesseyperformance.com. Look forward to speaking to you soon.

James

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
racebum

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Hennessey 700 Ashen Grey
WHY??

Why wouldn't you want a Hennessey - less money, looks better, and you'll give up 40 hp and 60 lb torque with the new ZL1.

Those of you that think the ZL1 will be $50,000 are living in make-believe land. Think about it. Add wider wheels, 1/2 shafts and drive shaft to handle the hp, brakes, shocks, carbon hood, better traction control, a SUPERCHARGER....how much is a standard SS??? Take that and add just a few of the upgrades... WAY OVER $50,000.
Attached Images

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
Why wouldn't you want a Hennessey - less money, looks better, and you'll give up 40 hp and 60 lb torque with the new ZL1.

Those of you that think the ZL1 will be $50,000 are living in make-believe land. Think about it. Add wider wheels, 1/2 shafts and drive shaft to handle the hp, brakes, shocks, carbon hood, better traction control, a SUPERCHARGER....how much is a standard SS??? Take that and add just a few of the upgrades... WAY OVER $50,000.
Perhaps you can share the source(s) for your information and support your claims...

Make no mistake that I think the Hennessey cars certainly deserve the highest respect. There are those people, though, that want a car with more history and has ties to the some of the best days of muscle and pony cars.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Quote:
Hey there,

There is a lot to consider...you can certainly buy a 2SS and modify it enough to eat the lunch of the ZL1 (as currently advertised) and probably about the same money.

Example: Camaro 2SS -------------------------36K
Stroker/blower with cam, clutch,fuel--20K
Suspension/drivetrain upgrades------- 7K
Wheels----------------------------- 5K

The downside of this is that there is very little resell for your mods, no warranty.

Hennessey--you will get some resell value but very narrow market for buyers (especially after the ZL1). Cost is more if you want the clutch, suspension wheels and drivetrain upgrades---and trust me...you will!

With the ZL1 you get stock upgraded suspension/drivetrain/wheels, modest supercharger with decent power (roughly 470hp to the wheels) and a warranty at a fair price...and will resale as a ZL1

I would have condsidered the ZL1 if they would have forged the internals, put a bigger supercharger on it...still for a production car it still blows the SS away....and folks will mod this car too...probably including Hennessey
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
Why not combine the solution in to a ZL1 HPE 750 package?
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
There is a lot to consider...you can certainly buy a 2SS and modify it enough to eat the lunch of the ZL1 (as currently advertised) and probably about the same money.

Example: Camaro 2SS -------------------------36K
Stroker/blower with cam, clutch,fuel--20K
Suspension/drivetrain upgrades------- 7K
Wheels----------------------------- 5K

The downside of this is that there is very little resell for your mods, no warranty.

Hennessey--you will get some resell value but very narrow market for buyers (especially after the ZL1). Cost is more if you want the clutch, suspension wheels and drivetrain upgrades---and trust me...you will!

With the ZL1 you get stock upgraded suspension/drivetrain/wheels, modest supercharger with decent power (roughly 470hp to the wheels) and a warranty at a fair price...and will resale as a ZL1

I would have condsidered the ZL1 if they would have forged the internals, put a bigger supercharger on it...still for a production car it still blows the SS away....and folk will mod this car too...
GREAT POST!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8GT4now View Post
Why not combine the solution in to a ZL1 HPE 750 package?
Now we're getting somewhere

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Slightly off topic but I bet that folks that modify muscle cars for a living have increased their yearly profits 400% or more since the Camaro came out. Not only are the Chevy guys beating down the doors...the Ford guys are scrambling back looking for more power...these are great times for all that love and work on and make parts for muscle cars! Wives of car enthusists...not so much
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote