Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 12-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #29
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
Someone needs to outline exactly how these cars are getting stolen. The rationale for keeping this a secret on the forums is not keeping these cars from getting stolen. Tell the owners how these thieves are getting easy access into the cars. That way, we as owners, can take steps to at least mitigate the potential for them getting stolen.

It's obvious the police don't care enough to seriously do anything about it. After all, insurance will take care of it and the raise their rates for all of us to make their money back. It's almost as if the system is feeding on us which is keeping theft process going with these cars.

Also, it would be good idea to find out where the demand for these parts are coming from. Most honest people just pony up the dough and get their short blocks from Summit or the dealer or some performance shop. However, it obvious to me that there are at least a few shady wrecking yards in on it.

Heck, maybe there are a few shady insurance companies in on it, too. The system is inherently gamed for their benefit. Create or work with a criminal enterprise that uses professional thieves to steal the cars, jack up the premiums for policy holders who claim the loss after the car is stolen, then sell the stolen parts to shady buyers to make a nice profit from the claims. It doesn't get any better than that.

Last edited by MikosV6; 12-31-2015 at 06:03 PM.
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:27 PM   #30
RichSS2006

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
We all need to take some control of the situation related to our cars whereabouts. I read these stories and feel for everyone that loses their car. As someone pointed out we all work hard for the the people and things we love. As I read this story tonight I started thinking about tracking devices.

The On-Star is useless. LoJack depends on the police. They are too busy and not all departments have the receiver. I use the new Tiles for my keys and have given them to my kids. It relies on everyone using and app to track the item that the tile is attached to. The cost is about $12 each. Can be attached to anything. Life span is 12 months.

So, I know fleet managers use GPS trackers to keep track of trucks on the road. Why can't we use these too? A well placed (hidden) device could at least give us some control over the situation. I've used these before. I did a quick search and found Brickhouse Security. http://www.brickhousesecurity.com NOT AN ENDORSEMENT! I have not used this brand, but for a few hundred dollars it would allow the user to track the car live and report to the police. I urge all of our members in the Bay Area to look into this technology. That along with a kill switch maybe you'll have some chance of either keeping it or finding it before your car ends up in pieces. I hope they eventually catch the B^ast^rds. Good luck to us all. Rich

PS: I'd also use a steering wheel/pedal lock. Maybe if they see something visual they may decide to move on to an easier target. We used to use cable locks or chains on our hoods back in the 70's. Even then we knew you had to keep the hood closed to have a chance of keeping it. Again, Good luck.

Last edited by RichSS2006; 12-31-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: adding thoughts...
RichSS2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #31
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSS2006 View Post
PS: I'd also use a steering wheel/pedal lock. Maybe if they see something visual they may decide to move on to an easier target. ...
I thought this too, and still use a steering wheel lock. But look up steering wheel lock cut on youtube, and you'll see a steering wheel lock can be cut and removed in seconds as well.

Having been another recent Bay Area victim of a stolen ZL1 from my work in middle of day in highly visible spot, these guys are relentless. Strongly suggest a kill switch or electronic interrupt like Ravelco to keep the car from being started in the first place.

Only value of Onstar is the ability to text you if your car is tampered with. If you have your cell with you at all times and you are close enough to run out and catch them in the process - this could help. Otherwise it's useless.

Mine was found in Stockton 3 weeks after the theft, completely stripped. No engine, drivetrain, interior, just a shell.

These guys are making out well now, but karma will catch up with them. Hope they burn in %*!!.

My empathy to the OP. The entire scenario sucks.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #32
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
A red ZL1 was stolen over the weekend as well. One of the members of our local Camaro club. A couple other members have had their Camaro's stolen as well.

I'd say it's getting out of hand, but it already has been for some time.

Until the local police departments start taking these thefts more seriously or we as owners actually catch one of these thieves in the act and commit a little self justice, this will keep happening until they run out of Camaro's to steal.

If I catch someone, I'm not calling the police. At least not right away.
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #33
2014camarossrsbymatt

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS RS
I am a police officer in northern CA. Do you have any pictures of it? I'll keep an eye out.
2014camarossrsbymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #34
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Unfortunately, California is having a huge issue with stolen LSA cars...this is all they found of this one:
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #35
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014camarossrsbymatt View Post
I am a police officer in northern CA. Do you have any pictures of it? I'll keep an eye out.
This is one of the recent thefts.

Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #36
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
Unfortunately, California is having a huge issue with stolen LSA cars...this is all they found of this one:
Not just LSA's. They're after all V8 5th Gens.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #37
DSSTER

Drives: Protoured 70 Nova & 70 Camaro
They finally found my zl1. The car looks good in the outside but with no motor and seats. The police found it in Stockton CA.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #38
DSSTER

No motor
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #39
DSSTER

No seats
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #40
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Wow, that sucks. Been following this thread with hopes you find it. But was wishing for better results. I feel for ya.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #41
DSSTER

They also took my sons recarro seats which is bullshit and the insurance **** me in the ass big time. It pays what I owed but not enough what I paid for originally.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #42
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Hope every thing works out. I cant imagine!
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote