Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #71
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
I would think the v6 would be more expensive. The v6 is way more complex than the v8. Multicam, multi valve, di, ect.....
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #72
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
There is a similar thread on Corvette Forum in the C7 section and everyone is up in arms about a recent article in Motor Trend. Rest assured if the Vette takes the path of smaller V8's ad TT V6's, the Camaro will follow suit. The CAFE 2016 are strict and will certainly have an impact of 2017 models and the 2025 standards even more stringent. No one but GM knows at this point; but it's certainly something to think about.

thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ing-too-2.html

DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #73
urbancamarofan

Drives: 2005 Dodge Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I just wish someone could explain to me why we have these CAFE standards now. They are obsolete. They were introduced in the 1970's to help reduce the amount the US relied on foreign oil, as a response to the OPEC embargo.

Since the percentage of oil we import was 20% then and is 60% now, the CAFE standards have clearly proven to be another spectacular success story of regulatory actions! (Right up there with the war on poverty, which has increased in spite of trillions of dollars thrown at it).

CAFE has outlived its usefulness, and we must progress past these outdated documents from bygone eras. The people who wrote CAFE could not possibly know that in 4 decades we would have Hybrids, and Direct Injection, and the Internet. Obviously, they were a bunch of backwards old guys with thick glasses, funny suits, and odd hairstyles who could not possibly know how to write a regulation for the modern era.

We need to move forward past CAFE, and make sure that everyone who wants a V8 Camaro will be able to purchase one at a reasonable price. The biggest crime would be to deny the average Camaro enthusiast the ability to purchase and enjoy the Camaro he/she wants with whatever engine they prefer.
I Know that's right.
urbancamarofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #74
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
I would love to see an "oddball" base Camaro..... 325HP 2.0L 4 banger would be cool with me, if the car weighed in @ around 3400lbs.... And doesn't GM have a TT 3.0L V-6 in a sister European Auto Company ?? a Turbo V-6 would be sweet also...
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #75
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 1LE SS View Post
I would think the v6 would be more expensive. The v6 is way more complex than the v8. Multicam, multi valve, di, ect.....
That is a no brainer. Yet some people still think that there's some magic gold unicorn dust in the SS that costs $6000 to produce.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #76
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Google rules!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #77
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
If they get rid of the v8, they'd be replacing it with a turbo v6. Aftermarket turbo kits for the v6 are putting out 450 HP. You can all talk all the shit you want, but I bet you could count on one hand, the number of sales they would lose, offering a more fuel efficient, more powerful engine, that happens to be a v6 instead of a v8.
l008com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #78
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
a turbo 4-cylinder option as a base wouldnt be a deal breaker for me... but you know what I want to see? the 275hp turbo 2.0L in a Cruze SS... that would be a very nice car for the mid-$20k range, and a performance bargain like the turbo SS Cobalt was, high 13s/low 14s for $22,000 brand new and 320whp with bolt-ons and a tune was a reality... and in a 2800lb car, a stock SS Camaro wanted none

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #79
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
If they get rid of the v8, they'd be replacing it with a turbo v6. Aftermarket turbo kits for the v6 are putting out 450 HP. You can all talk all the shit you want, but I bet you could count on one hand, the number of sales they would lose, offering a more fuel efficient, more powerful engine, that happens to be a v6 instead of a v8.
That depends all on the MPGs. What the customer wants is irrelevant in the eyes of the regulations. If GM cant meet the CAFE standards and still offer a V8 Camaro, no more V8 Camaros. If they cant meet the CAFE standards with a turbo V6, no turbo V6 Camaro.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #80
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've attempted to put this train wreck of a thread back on it's tracks. I hope we can maintain an on-topic discussion...if this has to be closed again, I'm afraid it'll stay closed.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #81
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
Hey look my comment made the cut!
l008com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #82
Jason P

Drives: 2011 2ss
Cafe standards and government regulation sucks. If you can afford to drive a V-8 I say do it this is the USA not some third world country.
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, Texas speed 418 LS3 235 /243 .621 / .624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive and port matched blower plate, IW 8 rib pullies, AEM meth kit, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Jason P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #83
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
You must be kidding. The forced induction - v8 forum has over 4000 threads with over 100,000 posts. We can anticipate that more than five of those people would own something else if the camaro didn't come with a v8. We can further anticipate that there are more than five of those people with well over 450 hp on the LS3 block. You could dig through the threads and find their numbers in the 100s.

The v6 as it was built simply cannot handle the numbers desired by enthusiasts. The v6 in the camaro is not built at the same level as the v6 in the GTR (cost of course). Building a v6 camaro with the same build quality of the GTR would make it cost-prohibitive for the vast majority of people who would consider v6 camaros.

Of course, there are some early adopters for the v6 turbo or supercharger in the camaro. Many of these people seem to be very happy. However, I have seen at least one of these people selling their supercharged v6 on these forums for, gasp, a v8 camaro. There is something about a v8 that is desirable for enthusiasts more than the average consumer.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #84
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
That depends all on the MPGs. What the customer wants is irrelevant in the eyes of the regulations. If GM cant meet the CAFE standards and still offer a V8 Camaro, no more V8 Camaros. If they cant meet the CAFE standards with a turbo V6, no turbo V6 Camaro.
I still can't figure out why GM would not just build whatever car customers want, and put whatever engine in it that people check off on the options sheet.

if people ask for an I4, then stick an I4 in it. If they ask for a V8, then put one in. I see no reason to "allocate" certain numbers of v8 engines. Those people who can't get one when they shop for a car are simply lost sales. GM is in the business of selling Camaros, and should make it as easy as possible for anyone to afford one in any configuration they want. To make it difficult/impossible/expensive to order a V8 goes against the most basic business model.

If they didn't meet an arbitrary CAFE goal because they sold a bunch of cars that everybody wanted to buy, what law did they break? It's not like someone is going to go around and confiscate the cars people bought.

Just make all engines available because it is good business, and it is the right thing to do. if anyone makes a fuss, we will stand behind GM 100% because they did what was right.