Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
Should'a got the L99
I think the OP is a Man, autos are for the girls!

It takes skill and and a good touch to put down great times banging gears.

Not to mention all of us who grew up with a fourspeed roasting tires.

Notice the team LS3 in my sig.......it will be settled at the strip!
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
In the stock configuration, I ran a best 12.7 at 113 miles an hour, and lost to an L-99 that ran a 12.6 at 108... She had a tranny tune, and thats it... We both blazed the tires for a burnout, staged and launched door handle to door handle... she shifted 2nd, pulled half a car, I hit 2nd, rolled up on her, same thing with third... and she hit 4th 100-150' or so before the finish line, and I rolled the traps in third, grabbing 4th right at the line, pedaling her down but but couldn't quite get there... I had a 2.1 60 foot, on P-Zeros, and hers was the same...

hell of a race... With 500 plus you should easily trap in the low 12's...or better... just get the hell off the throttle in a hurry if it does wheel hop... you can do a really good burnout and then leave fairly easy and then hammer it as you roll on... smooth is fast... clutch dumps and bang shifting is cool to talk about, but smooth is the fastest... I was leaving the line at around 2500 rpm with a hint of clutch slipping and as soon as I felt them bite, then I was on it hard... Now I have to learn to drive again...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
I have gown up around the strip and know all about clutch control. I used to race motorcycles down the 1/4 and although a car is different its still the same concept with a clutch. Im not worried about launching the car I was just curious to peoples opinions as to what I would should expect for times. The stock p-zeros do suck so I have been looking for some new tires also. After a few passes I should be able to get some pretty good launches down if I can hook up.

I have the barton short throw as well I love that thing!
Oxtar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #18
mws444

Funny thing about wheel hop, not every Camaro has it. Mine never did. A big thing like was said above is to be smooth, hammering hard all the time will only result in broken parts. If my new Weld Wheels get in in time I will have a set of Mickey Thompson DR's on CCW's for sale at the Fest if you are looking for some.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Ox, I wasn't in any fashion dfissing your driving skills, and if sounded like I was, i apologize...

I was just trying to justify that yes you can expect low 12's if not high 11's... especially if you hook...

About the P-Zero's... The first time I took my car to the track, I was told and had read on here to just spin them enough to clean the dust off and stage... This is what I had tried to date...

When I went to the Texas Camaro Nats in Houston, I decided I was going to find out if it was possible to make them stick, and I did... They will stick quite well... but they have to be boiling hot...

I pulled around the water, and dumped the clutch and stood on the brakes... kept her just off the rev limiter until I started pushing the locked front tires... (I have some video of it at home from a different time) and then got off the brakes and let her roll out,,, huge loud chirp and the front end came up and she lunged for the staging area... The starter held the race up for a few seconds as we had both done this burnout and I couldn't see the other car at all... neither could the starter... hmm....

I went to 2500- 3000 and almost completely dumped the clutch and went like a rocket... fastest 60 foot to date I had in this car...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
mws444

True of all tires, if you want them to really hook you have to get them hot! Dr's are better than street tires and slicks are better than Dr's. As your power comes up your tires need to get better to match it. Unless you are running full bias slicks I would stay out of the water as well. It will get thrown up on the fenders and then drip down on the tires when you stage costing you traction.
I know it gets expensive, but like they say "If you want to play....."
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Very consistent this weekend at 12.6 @ 115-116, 2.1 to 2.3 at 60'. No wheel hop. I think low 12s is a possibility on the P-Zeros and high 11s with some sticky tires and some suspension work. (and just a quarter tank of gas and taking the 200 lbs of stuff out of the trunk, and about 40 lbs off the driver)
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
Very consistent this weekend at 12.6 @ 115-116, 2.1 to 2.3 at 60'. No wheel hop. I think low 12s is a possibility on the P-Zeros and high 11s with some sticky tires and some suspension work. (and just a quarter tank of gas and taking the 200 lbs of stuff out of the trunk, and about 40 lbs off the driver)
What weighs 200 lbs in the trunk? You keep a body in there?

I get zero wheel hop on stock suspension with drag radials.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #23
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
honestly tires make all the difference. trust me on that. going from drag radials to hoosiers dropped me on average a half second at the track.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
What weighs 200 lbs in the trunk? You keep a body in there?

I get zero wheel hop on stock suspension with drag radials.
Fire extinguisher, Tool Kit, First Aid Kit, folding chairs, change of clothes, picnic basket, Mountain Dews and Coke Zeros, Helmet, spare parts and other misc. stuff required when WifeSS travels with me...Ok maybe not 200 but pushing 100.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #25
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
I think the OP is a Man, autos are for the girls!

It takes skill and and a good touch to put down great times banging gears.

Not to mention all of us who grew up with a fourspeed roasting tires.

Notice the team LS3 in my sig.......it will be settled at the strip!

Yeah I say we settle it at the strip!
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #26
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Ox, I wasn't in any fashion dfissing your driving skills, and if sounded like I was, i apologize...

I was just trying to justify that yes you can expect low 12's if not high 11's... especially if you hook...

About the P-Zero's... The first time I took my car to the track, I was told and had read on here to just spin them enough to clean the dust off and stage... This is what I had tried to date...

When I went to the Texas Camaro Nats in Houston, I decided I was going to find out if it was possible to make them stick, and I did... They will stick quite well... but they have to be boiling hot...

I pulled around the water, and dumped the clutch and stood on the brakes... kept her just off the rev limiter until I started pushing the locked front tires... (I have some video of it at home from a different time) and then got off the brakes and let her roll out,,, huge loud chirp and the front end came up and she lunged for the staging area... The starter held the race up for a few seconds as we had both done this burnout and I couldn't see the other car at all... neither could the starter... hmm....

I went to 2500- 3000 and almost completely dumped the clutch and went like a rocket... fastest 60 foot to date I had in this car...

I meant it like I have been to the track a bunch and am very confident in the ability to launch the car is all i was sayin lol. Sorry if i sounded like I was directing it at you
Oxtar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #27
mws444

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2010 View Post
Yeah I say we settle it at the strip!
The man with the 900 RWHP beast says! LOL I think you have me by default. I am saying apples to apples here! Maybe if you are on street tires.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #28
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
my stock car ran 13.002 at 110. best
13.2 at 115 most runs.
I had to learn to leave at 1200 rpm and shift at 5500 to get the 13.0
does not make sense BUT traction when leaving at 1200 is best for my car and very time i went over 55oo to shift it would blow the tires again.

probably going to do a run or 2 with the S/C here soon just not sure what to expect either?

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote