Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-27-2024, 02:55 PM   #169
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
One of the biggest and likely most important things Tesla did was create their own charging network. From owners, you can plug in a trip and he Nav is integrated to get you he easiest way there around locations of their previously proprietary chargers. Takes all the pain and worry out it. For the ID4? It shows where chargers are but it’s a hodgepodge of companies. And reading about it shows these unmanned chargers are much better maintained by Tesla.

This was huge for early adopters and those with anxieties on EV ownership.
Old 01-27-2024, 03:11 PM   #170
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
When you realize how convenient and easy lugging in at home is you will probably have a different opinion on at least your regular transportation. I won’t have this EV long as it’s my company car and the only reason I probably will get an ICE to replace it is cost of the vehicle.

China is HUGE in EV sales. Long story of how they came over here, paid engineers big salaries to teach them how to do it. BYD has past Tesla but there may be some accounting gymnastics but either way, like Tesla they are coming to Mexico and Europe with new plants (UAW pleas ask why all these new plants are in Mexico) and the pay make fantastic products from the reviews I’ve seen.

I live at an apartment complex no where to charge at home. Gas is also more convenient for road trips as our Subaru can go over 500 miles on a tank of gas. The Garage that the Camaro is in does not have an available outlet which is the same for the other garages as well.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:20 PM   #171
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
When you realize how convenient and easy lugging in at home is you will probably have a different opinion on at least your regular transportation. I won’t have this EV long as it’s my company car and the only reason I probably will get an ICE to replace it is cost of the vehicle.

China is HUGE in EV sales. Long story of how they came over here, paid engineers big salaries to teach them how to do it. BYD has past Tesla but there may be some accounting gymnastics but either way, like Tesla they are coming to Mexico and Europe with new plants (UAW pleas ask why all these new plants are in Mexico) and the pay make fantastic products from the reviews I’ve seen.
If someone doesn’t get a charging station, plugging it directly into a 120 VAC standard outlet will take all night to charge. That’s if they have access to a standard wall outlet wherever they park to begin with.

No one seriously has the patience for that. People are going to want the faster 220 VAC charging station.

Not everyone owns their own house and can install a charging station in their garage. For starters not everyone who owns a house and can install a charging station is going to want to spend the $3k or so to do it.

Then you have the people who rent, either apartment or house. The landlord or property management company may not want to spend money on charging stations. And more likely than not, someone renting might nit even be able to afford to pay for a charging station even if the landlord/property manager allowed it.

So home charging is limited to those in America who own their own home, have a parking space that can support the access and installation of a charging station, and are willing and able to afford paying a lot of money for it.

No, three grand isn’t a lot of money to you. But I know plenty of people who have far more important things in life they absolutely need that 3 grand for than a charging station.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:32 PM   #172
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I live at an apartment complex no where to charge at home. Gas is also more convenient for road trips as our Subaru can go over 500 miles on a tank of gas. The Garage that the Camaro is in does not have an available outlet which is the same for the other garages as well.
This situation is exactly why I say ICE will be around for several more decades. The people who could most benefit from EVs (people living in apartments in big cities) typically don't have the ability to reliably plug in overnight. People who live in single-family dwellings where there is a garage and/or driveway to install a plug-in EVSE is where the volume growth will come from over the next couple decades. There are people working on the apartment dilemma, but it isn't really solved yet.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:40 PM   #173
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
If someone doesn’t get a charging station, plugging it directly into a 120 VAC standard outlet will take all night to charge. That’s if they have access to a standard wall outlet wherever they park to begin with.

No one seriously has the patience for that. People are going to want the faster 220 VAC charging station.
That depends. If you are charging it from single digit percentage of range to all the way topped off, yes it will take all night. Maybe longer. But most people will only be replacing the amount of range that they used that day. So if Monday morning you have 250 miles of range and you do what you do all day Monday and wind up driving 55 miles. When you plug it in Monday night, you only need enough charge to replace the 55 miles. Then Tuesday you wake up with 250 miles and do the same thing. But no doubt, having a Level 2 (220V / 240V) EVSE is the way to go. There is actually a much less costly option, at least for Tesla. I expect other EV makers will soon follow suit. Tesla has a portable charge unit for $250 that can operate at either 110V or 220V depending on what its plugged into. I carry one around in the trunk of our Tesla. You just plug it into a wall and fagedaboutit. So if you have a circuit that your dryer works on, it's probably 220V, and if your mobile charger can plug into that and reach your car, you have a Level 2 solution without spending a lot of money for a dedicated wall unit.

Quote:
Not everyone owns their own house and can install a charging station in their garage. For starters not everyone who owns a house and can install a charging station is going to want to spend the $3k or so to do it.

Then you have the people who rent, either apartment or house. The landlord or property management company may not want to spend money on charging stations. And more likely than not, someone renting might nit even be able to afford to pay for a charging station even if the landlord/property manager allowed it.

So home charging is limited to those in America who own their own home, have a parking space that can support the access and installation of a charging station, and are willing and able to afford paying a lot of money for it.

No, three grand isn’t a lot of money to you. But I know plenty of people who have far more important things in life they absolutely need that 3 grand for than a charging station.
This is why I continue to say that ICE will be around for several more decades. The choices will be reduced, but they will still be around. This is (IMHO) the flaw in GM's Zero Emissions by 2035 strategy. I don't see where they are taking that into account.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM   #174
Hack

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
It goes to my point I put up about going from the horse and buggy to cars. If there were forums back then, I can imagine the same kind of comments against cars, and horse lovers being hesitant and thinking it's not happening and screaming at the top of their lungs that cars suck. We saw how that turned out.
I don't think that's a great analogy, because the only people who could own horses were wealthy city folks or lived in the country. It's always been that way. Horses need to be fed, they need space and they have to be cared for regularly. All of that costs a ton of money.

When low-cost cars came out, many more people could afford them. Forget about how far you could travel in a day, how much weight you could carry and how much more power they had. Just the lower cost made the car by far superior to a horse.

And the government never made a peep about those cars. People just did what they wanted to do... which was buy cars.

Anyway, on the original thread topic - I think it sucks that GM stopped building the Camaro. I hope fun cars come back into mass popularity again sometime soon. It used to be that hundreds of thousands of impractical, fun, 2 door vehicles sold every year in the US. Yes, lots of practical vehicles sold back then as well. But I hope the US can soon get back to being a country where lots of people buy fun vehicles.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 04:01 PM   #175
ZR1-OK

Drives: 22 ZL1 23 1SS Redline
Have fun selling your EV crap to battery humpers GM. Thankfully I’ll never have to deal with it
ZR1-OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 05:39 PM   #176
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
That is where the fast charging network becomes critical. It’s not bad to be on a DC fast charger for 30 minutes to an hour if you can do something but sit. Tesla added games to their cars to occupy your time,

But unless your landlord sets up the parking with at least Level 2 I see your situation as the one that has to addressed for EVs to get to mass adoption
Old 01-27-2024, 05:47 PM   #177
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:

2 errors. You can’t charge an EV overnight on a 120. This is Level 1 and might get you 2 miles of range per hour of charging. So 20 miles or so over night.

Level 2, can get you up to a 48 amp charger an with a 40 amp I’m getting 32 miles per hour of charging, this is a must.

I paid $350 to have my 30 amp outlet increased to 50. 8 was told this was about the same as adding the circuit but I already had a 50 amp circuit. Then paid $180 for the charger. Might be $3,000 if you need a new box but I, at Level 2 with charger for under $550. Which is probably stupid for a car I’ll have for 2 months.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:11 PM   #178
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Thank you Lord Jesus, this is a camaro site and not an EV site, can we move this over to the who gives a shit section?
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 06:16 PM   #179
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1-OK View Post
Have fun selling your EV crap to battery humpers GM. Thankfully I’ll never have to deal with it
LOL, it’s just a technology discussion
Old 01-27-2024, 06:35 PM   #180
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Thank you Lord Jesus, this is a camaro site and not an EV site, can we move this over to the who gives a shit section?
Amen to that!
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:06 PM   #181
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Amen to that!
Thank you!

And they wonder why their static isn’t bought around here (to paraphrase Frank Zappa)
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:03 AM   #182
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
With Mary Barra in charge....did you really think she would take GM to new heights? The woman was installed by Obama as part of the GM bail out agreement.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote