Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
Misfit1

Drives: 2012 White/Inferno 2SS
2012 2LT Victory Red Vert Bathtub

So, Purchased the 2012 Vert 2LT in July of 2013 brand new for the wife. She simply fell in love with the car. Traded in an 07 Scion TC which she loved as well and I think even shed a tear or two over. Anyhow dropped the top, she took it for a test drive and was sold! She began to dream of the warm summer nights cruising with the top down and the ambient light shining through her cabin.
Shortly after getting her car, I started to notice white marks on the top. These weren't your basic white marks, almost like sandpaper had been used to make them. So a few short weeks after owning the car, took it to the dealership and showed them the marks. Also noticed some wind noise coming from the Passenger side rear window area. Went home and did my research, found out about the top issues and worked with the dealer to have the whole top and mechanism updated to the 2013. Got the wind noise fixed, picked up the car. Keep this in mind as this is where we thought the breath of fresh air was.
A short time later, the rear passenger side window motor began to make a crunching sound. Took the car back to the dealer and they replaced that. At this point I figured everything was good. Had to have the top adjusted a few times, but it for the most part did what it was supposed to do.
Well a short time after this we had a few nice days to drop the top, the tonneau cover would seat properly. Noticed that the passenger side arm did not go down all the way without pushing it down a bit more after we dropped the top. I thought that maybe this was just a bit of the top being new, and needing a bit of break in to settle.
all seemed well, made it through the summer and fall of 2014 without incident, or so we thought.
Came out to the car and one morning in the early winter when the sun had already come up and noticed that the car was completely filled with moisture. I thought, what the heck did we have in the car that could be damp...she is meticulous about this car and stuff in it due to the leather. so I look inside, nothing. I pop the trunk and everything in the trunk is soaked. Take the spare tire cover off and BAM! filled with water. check behind the rear seats, push down on the carpet, SQUISH! water comes bubbling up through my carpet.

Take it to a new dealer and they tell me third brake light seal. Ok sounds logical, replaced. A week later, same thing. Take it back to the dealer, they said third brake light seal and diverter this time. Wait, what, you just replaced that seal. The answer.....defective part....Ok still logical, could happen right. I was erring on the side that the top is the good one and this is just a phenomena of some kind, but being more cautious.
Skip to a week ago, and the wife and I are at a car show, sitting in the parking lot at night before we leave, and notice that the passenger side Airbag light is showing that no one is sitting in the seat. Yet there she was sitting there. At this time I checked the rear floor board, Squish! What the?!?! Ran around to the back, pulled the spare tire cover, Boom Water!!! Ok at this point I was done. My wife then tells me that she has been hearing a squeak when she turns on the heat...Bam Rust from moisture, and a new squeak in the back and air from the driver side rear!!! UNREAL. So I take the car back to the original dealer that replaced the top...that I bought the car from and told them I wanted a Buy-Back. They called GM, wont mention any names yet and was told no!! Are you kidding me? There was mention of a trade up and my wife is not interested in a 2014 or newer due to the tail lights, she just cant get with them. So a Buy-Back is the only way and she would find a 2013...or should I say she found one, 1 owner 4k miles, sun roof (she is over the vert issues). Nice...as close to new 2013 you can get right?
So the update is that they are willing to give me an extended warranty and fix the car...I bought an extended warranty already!!! oh they will refund it, no thank you...I don't want the countless hassles of coming back over and over for an extended time when this continues to happen. Getting in rental cars, having the car torn apart and put back together countless times!! GM, you know its an issue, stop placating.
Well called GM customer service, filed a claim, posting on here and looking into this Class Action in process for VERT owners. I have owned multiple GM cars over the years, 87 Fiero, 87 S-10, 89 S-10, 77 Vette, 2000 Firebird, 95 Tahoe, 87 Vette, 90 Camaro and currently a 95 Suburban, 2012 2SS (Hard Top), 2012 2LT Vert!!! This is ridiculous as I have loved every car, I am a GM Fan!!! But this has got me fed up...Chevy, keep a lifetime Customer, switched my wife from Scion to Chevy, My son to Chevy, My dad Drives GM, My entire shop drives GM, 1 Nova, 2 Camaros, 1 Suburban, 1 Tahoe...hell I am surrounded by GM...and then I have to go to this length, because the first initial contact with GM was no, you don't have ability for a BUY-BACK?!?!?!? Everyone around me is watching how this gets handled...I am sure that it will make an impact. Only option that works for me is a BUY-BACK. More to follow.....
Attached Images

Misfit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
This sounds more like a water bag management system tear or failure, as well as plugged or unseated water drain tubes. If you are unaware of the Camaro Convertible top problems site, here is the link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692

PS You may try another dealer with more experience.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Misfit1

Oh I agree, but all that was supposedly checked...I am just over the hassle. been to that link too, that's how I initially found the Class action issue.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
OP, given the age of the car now, i think you will be hard pressed to get a buy back. i would take the approach on getting another car. you are right, it has issues, and you arent getting any younger, and i feel for you. get a 14, i bet your wife could live with the tail lights more than a ton of water. and really, is it the tailights the only reason she dont want a 14? comon. that seems silly in the overall scheme of things. the 14s are nice, and why dont you try to unload the car if yoiu can? just my opinion. i agree, the 14 tail lights arent my favorite, however, that would not prevent me from buying a great car otherwise. good luck
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Misfit1

I agree, we have talked about the 14, she just has an issue, especially since I have a 12 SS and I could just hear her now saying about how she remembers how her light used to look. as far as the age...bought the car new in mid '13, only 11k on it now, it sat on the lot for awhile...bought my 12 SS in 9 of 13, new, so she sat for awhile too. We still love the Camaro, just not the water. I think the Verts are sexy cars, I just no longer want to deal with the headache or future headaches. Everyone at my shop and in my family is waiting to see how GM handles this. In the end, I think GM will step up...but the waiting game sux.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit1 View Post
I agree, we have talked about the 14, she just has an issue, especially since I have a 12 SS and I could just hear her now saying about how she remembers how her light used to look. as far as the age...bought the car new in mid '13, only 11k on it now, it sat on the lot for awhile...bought my 12 SS in 9 of 13, new, so she sat for awhile too. We still love the Camaro, just not the water. I think the Verts are sexy cars, I just no longer want to deal with the headache or future headaches. Everyone at my shop and in my family is waiting to see how GM handles this. In the end, I think GM will step up...but the waiting game sux.
I am 100% with your wife on the 14s, cant stand the rear end/light set up, that is why I made sure I got a 13 leftover last spring, I refused to buy the 14.

On another note: I am having no issues with my vert yet, so ther ARE some good ones out there...
Old 01-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
Misfit1

@007 - I am quite sure there are good verts out there. look how many they sold and how many we have heard about problems with. I just don't want to gamble anymore. I have a hardtop as well and that removes the vert top fail thing. the 13 that we found is at a chevy dealer, it almost identical to my hard top, just a 13, soooo guess we will just wait and see.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit1 View Post
@007 - I am quite sure there are good verts out there. look how many they sold and how many we have heard about problems with. I just don't want to gamble anymore. I have a hardtop as well and that removes the vert top fail thing. the 13 that we found is at a chevy dealer, it almost identical to my hard top, just a 13, soooo guess we will just wait and see.
well good luck to you, im crossing my fingers for you on this one...
Old 01-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
Misfit1

Thanks for the support
Old 01-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
We have a '11 and if it weren't for one good dealer our vert experince would have been over quickly. I had to go to five or six dealers before finding one competent shop, Red River Chevy, Bossier City, La. The worst dealer we dealt with was Southern in Alexandria, La. Total dipshits. GM guys trolling around take note...Southern is a sorry excuse for a dealer.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
any news misfit? maybe you can find a good used 13 vert out there. i have a 13, and i purposely steered clear of the 12's. mine was actually built in sept. of 2012, but i found oiut that by then, gm was using the newer tops.

get your self another camaro vert. stay away from 11 and 12s. if you find a 14, go for it. its the same car. and really, you wont see the tail lites very often unless you are constantly standing behind the car
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
Misfit1

Ok, so here is the update. They will not do a buyback and told me to call the BBB and hire a lawyer if I did not like that. They then gave me the offer of an extended warranty or two car payments. Now I was willing to accept 10 years 100k from date of purchase, they fired back with 5 years from today, offering me a simple 2.5 year extension...keep in mind I paid for a 7 year extended when I purchased the car. They will not budge and have yet to talk to me...they continue to mediate through the dealership. Sooo... not sure who I will be contacting next....but this is a joke. My views of GM are truly changing.