Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #127
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Why do we need to add more gears!?!? I thought 6spd was excessive now they are talking 7?! Just dont get it...

and a turbo charged 4cyl!?

Hey Birm, I'll have to take you for a ride in my daughter's Sky Redline. I promise you will have a different feeling about turbo 4's ... This thing is running around 310 HP and 350 TQ and from a dig will keep up with my SS ...
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #128
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Aren't you forgetting to mention that there is a very steep "premium" being levied upon those who choose a V8 model over a V6? It is widely known that there is an effort to tamp down the V8 sales due to pressure from various regulatory agencies which GM must adhere to.

Since we have these these artificial "punishments" imposed on auto makers for producing too many vehicles that certain lobby groups disapprove of, they must artificially limit the sales of the V8 models through the pricing structure. There's no way an SS should cost $7,000 more than an LT. (2011 1LT = $23,880 / 2SS = $30,945 and 2LT = $27,225 / 2SS = $34,295)

If we did not have unelected beaurocrats meddling in the auto market, you would see a much different ratio of V6 to V8 sales. What do you think the sales ratio would be if the difference were a much more realistic $2,500?
I'm not sure how realistic that is (I sincerely doubt the premium is that steep)....but your point is taken, and valid. Another good question to be asking...

Nevertheless - the people with V6 Camaros enjoy them. They weren't forced to buy that car if they didn't like it...that was the point of my response to the comment trying to down trod a 4 cylinder because the 6 doesn't work, either....

Quote:
Oh... and don't forget about that little thing they call "Allocation" that basically means they can build V6 to V8 in any ratio they want, so even if the price was not being used as a V8 deterrent, they could simply not make more than whatever number they are "allowed" to sell.
It doesn't work quite that way, and that's not the intent of the system. It does, however, allow the company to react to market demand. You'll notice they produced about 50/50 V8/V6, iirc, during initial reduction. That's changed...

Quote:
Why can't they just make whatever cars people will buy and let the buyer buy the car they want?
Great question.

I think the thought is that the raw consumer/market relationship doesn't react quickly, or intense enough...which I could see. After all, it takes two years or more to design a proper car, and consumers are generally pretty dumb. However, I think there's a balance that can be reached...but what does that word mean? Balance? Moderation?