Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #57
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I still believe he meant the 6th gen SS will be a well rounded car. It will be fast, powerful and light, handle well and still be a comfortable street car, just like the ZL1. It won't need the blower because the car will be lighter and the extra power and torque from the LT1. Magride may be an option but I don't take his comments to mean it will be standard.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #58
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Very good analyzis.. I also took his words as the 6th gen ss will have ZL1 like performance even though it wont pack the same muscle. A more nimble, smaller, lighter, high reving corner carver that stops on a dime will follow the Zl1 around a track. Not on the drag strip though. Unless they somehow made the 6th gen out of carbon fiber and helium it could be close though.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:45 AM   #59
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

That news, is great news! for all present and new future owners of Camaro, I will be one of the first ones making line to buy the new Camaro with the magnetic suspension, Recaro's, etc. But please GM allow this great performance std. also to be available in automatic transmission, which it was the only limitation that kept me out of buying the 1LE, which really impressed me to immediately replace my present Mustang GT.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #60
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
a lot of talking.. words don't mean much.. I'll reserve opinion UNTIL GM releases the BEAST!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #61
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
In my opinion, even a 7% reduction would be awesome.
Let's see: a 1SS is listed as 3908 lbs. a 7% reduction would come to 3634, which would be a 274 lb. weight reduction. The 2015 Mustang GT with manual is listed (so far) at 3704 lbs.

SOLD!!!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #62
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
I think when the GM executive was talking about a 15% weight reduction, he was talking about a 15% weight reduction on average across all GM. That is achievable since today's normally asperated 4-cylinders are making the power of yesterday's 6's (and today's 6's are making the power of yesterday's 8's). That weight savings alone is pretty big. Add to that a focus on lighter platforms, and I think this is achievable.

BUT, a 15% weight reduction to an SS Camaro would come to about 3315 or so lbs. This is unrealistic in my opinion, as it would be about a 585 lb. reduction. I have been guessing that there will be about a 100-300 lb. redution in the Camaro on the new platform. I would be jumping for joy with 300lbs lighter. That would put the Camaro around 3600 lbs., or about 100 lbs. lighter than the new Mustang GT. Wishfull thinking perhaps. That's why I think we will be in the range of a 100-300 lb. reduction.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #63
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I see a 15% weight loss(considering the current gen Camaro) all but an absolute, impossibility. At least not without CONSIDERABLE use of CF and titanium. Which would drive the prices up to Corvette range, thereby defeating the purpose of the Camaro's very existance.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #64
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I think when the GM executive was talking about a 15% weight reduction, he was talking about a 15% weight reduction on average across all GM.
Agreed, this was most certainly what he meant.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #65
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
That news, is great news! for all present and new future owners of Camaro, I will be one of the first ones making line to buy the new Camaro with the magnetic suspension, Recaro's, etc. But please GM allow this great performance std. also to be available in automatic transmission, which it was the only limitation that kept me out of buying the 1LE, which really impressed me to immediately replace my present Mustang GT.
I'm hopeful with the new A8, your needs shouldn't be excluded like with the current 1LE. If it'll handle 650 ft.lbs. of TQ from LT4, it shouldn't have a problem in SS I imagine

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #66

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I hope they don't backstroke on the weight reductions...The '16 Camaros were supposed to be a double-whammy of lighter weight and more powerful V-8s....

....We are constantly brainwashed that CAFE must be met....If the Camaro weighs the same for '16 I call BS....

If the 15% doesn't apply to the Vette or the Camaro, which model lines are losing 30% or more of weight to achieve the average?....If they can't achieve significant weight reduction for the 6th Gen Camaros, I say we've been had again...oh well, won't be the first time...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #67
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm hopeful with the new A8, your needs shouldn't be excluded like with the current 1LE. If it'll handle 650 ft.lbs. of TQ from LT4, it shouldn't have a problem in SS I imagine
The 8L90 is rated to 1000 Nm (738 lb-ft) so there is room to go bigger than the LT4

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #68
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
By most accounts, they intend to make a cheaper, weaker, crappier version for most car platforms (think trucks and super/forced-induction versions of cars get the big one, everyone else gets the 4L60 glass-version).

Quote:
Next year, a lower-torque version of the transmission is expected to roll out in some Cadillac ATS and CTS models and the Chevy Camaro muscle car.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...o-get-wide-use
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #69
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I hope they don't backstroke on the weight reductions...The '16 Camaros were supposed to be a double-whammy of lighter weight and more powerful V-8s....

....We are constantly brainwashed that CAFE must be met....If the Camaro weighs the same for '16 I call BS....

If the 15% doesn't apply to the Vette or the Camaro, which model lines are losing 30% or more of weight to achieve the average?....If they can't achieve significant weight reduction for the 6th Gen Camaros, I say we've been had again...oh well, won't be the first time...
It's not brainwashing.

CAFE dictates every single decision made on product. It rules the roost.

Not sure how you've "been had". Who promised anything? No one. We hoped and we speculated. Only Reuss saying "it won't be heavier" is all we've really had from GM.

Now, as I've said all along, if you want an ATS based Camaro, you'll get your weight savings.............................and a very, very small car. Smaller than any Camaro yet made. A Camaro barely bigger than a Cruze, which is what the ATS/Alpha is.

And when you say, "significant" you sound like you are one that has convinced yourself of a 3,300 pound Camaro, about the weight of the current 1.4L T Cruze. Just not likely to happen for us in the Gen 6.

And keep in mind as we go to hybrid and alternate propulsion systems get ready for mass to start going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
By most accounts, they intend to make a cheaper, weaker, crappier version for most car platforms (think trucks and super/forced-induction versions of cars get the big one, everyone else gets the 4L60 glass-version).

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...o-get-wide-use
Cheaper, weaker, crappier? Where does that come from? A lower rated A8 for the 6 cylinder crowd will still be awesome as is the Aisin in the CTS V-sport.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #70
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I think when the GM executive was talking about a 15% weight reduction, he was talking about a 15% weight reduction on average across all GM. That is achievable since today's normally asperated 4-cylinders are making the power of yesterday's 6's (and today's 6's are making the power of yesterday's 8's). That weight savings alone is pretty big. Add to that a focus on lighter platforms, and I think this is achievable.

BUT, a 15% weight reduction to an SS Camaro would come to about 3315 or so lbs. This is unrealistic in my opinion, as it would be about a 585 lb. reduction. I have been guessing that there will be about a 100-300 lb. redution in the Camaro on the new platform. I would be jumping for joy with 300lbs lighter. That would put the Camaro around 3600 lbs., or about 100 lbs. lighter than the new Mustang GT. Wishfull thinking perhaps. That's why I think we will be in the range of a 100-300 lb. reduction.

I would not be surprised to see the C6 Camaro 300 lb lighter than the C5.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote