Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Millertime555

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
The SS will not have the V6, there's no way in hell. Plus you can hear the LT1 in the Camaro being tested on the Nurburgring in the spy shot video.
Millertime555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
The LT1 will replace the LS3/L99 in powering the ss, there is really no point debating this... and i highly doubt we see the LF3 TT V6 in the ss as the lt1 makes the same horsepower while getting better fuel economy and without the complexity of twin turbos
Old 11-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #17
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity149 View Post
We will not get the LT1 yet...
Not sure if trolling, or just trolling
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
I will be surprised if GM doesn't come out with a lineup similar to the Mustangs to match Ford in the market.

I expect a base model normally aspirated V6, a higher performance 2.0L Turbo I4 model with optional performance pack of some sort, and of course the obvious LT1 in the SS with a 1LE option.

This strategy would give GM the best chance to outsell Ford in this market segment and that's what the shareholders are looking for.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
I'm thinking a track pack optional on all trim levels except the base trim. Camaro will ultimately beat the new mustang in objectionable stats and subjective feel. Like last generation the Camaro will outsell the new Mustang.
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
I expect a base model normally aspirated V6, a higher performance 2.0L Turbo I4 model with optional performance pack of some sort
Personally, I hope that you're right because, as someone who prefers the NA V6, I'd save a few bucks if it were the base model. However, the scuttlebutt is that the LGX V6 will be bumped up to ~340 hp or so. At this point, it's hard to imagine GM doing a turbo 4 that'd be an upgrade to a 340 hp V6.

As such, I think that the more likely scenario is a base turbo I4 (270-300hp) with the LGX being the upgrade.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
You forget there are government regulations in place requiring a certain level of emissions/carbon footprint.

They may end up with both a LT1 for the "purists" but have a TT option to help conform to regs...
The assumption there is that a twin turbo V6 would be more efficient than a V8, and there isn't really any indication that that's true. At least not at General Motors.

The CTS-Vsport is about the same size, weight, and power as the current Camaro SS. But it gets either the same or slightly worse fuel economy as the LS3/L99. On the other hand ... the new LT1 is a bit more efficient than the current gen IV small blocks. So its pretty safe to say that the LT1 is more efficient than the twin turbo LF3. It certainly isn't any less efficient.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The assumption there is that a twin turbo V6 would be more efficient than a V8, and there isn't really any indication that that's true. At least not at General Motors.

The CTS-Vsport is about the same size, weight, and power as the current Camaro SS. But it gets either the same or slightly worse fuel economy as the LS3/L99. On the other hand ... the new LT1 is a bit more efficient than the current gen IV small blocks. So its pretty safe to say that the LT1 is more efficient than the twin turbo LF3. It certainly isn't any less efficient.
They tax according to engine displacement in many countries so a TT V6 is preferred over a compatible powered V8.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #23
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
I will be surprised if GM doesn't come out with a lineup similar to the Mustangs to match Ford in the market.

I expect a base model normally aspirated V6, a higher performance 2.0L Turbo I4 model with optional performance pack of some sort, and of course the obvious LT1 in the SS with a 1LE option.

This strategy would give GM the best chance to outsell Ford in this market segment and that's what the shareholders are looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Personally, I hope that you're right because, as someone who prefers the NA V6, I'd save a few bucks if it were the base model. However, the scuttlebutt is that the LGX V6 will be bumped up to ~340 hp or so. At this point, it's hard to imagine GM doing a turbo 4 that'd be an upgrade to a 340 hp V6.

As such, I think that the more likely scenario is a base turbo I4 (270-300hp) with the LGX being the upgrade.
I agree more with MikeT. Based on the "insider" type reading I've done, the LGX V6 will debut in the 6th gen. I can't imagine Chevrolet slapping a new V6 in there that isn't at least a hair more powerful than the current LFX, so well say at least 330HP. They would have to pump up the 2.0 turbo quite a bit to beat those HP figures.

The reading I've done says the 2.0 will be the base, with the V6 as the optional engine, and if they leave the 2.0 with a base of 270-ish HP or so, that makes sense, if the V6 gets 330 - 345 HP.

With that amount of power in the V6, and a very possible weight advantage, and last but not least, an 8 speed automatic....it will be quicker in the 1/4 than a stock Ecoboost Mustang which is their optional engine.

Of course the turbo 4s will have a torque advantage, but the V6 will pull much harder on top. When it comes to modding though, we all know if you put a stout aftermarket tune on either turbo 4 they will kill a stock n/a V6.

That said, I'd rather have the LGX V6 please, with around 340-ish stock HP. A few mods and a tune later and should be looking at a healthy 360 or so HP. That in in a lighter car than the 5th gen sounds pretty awesome to me.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
They tax according to engine displacement in many countries so a TT V6 is preferred over a compatible powered V8.
Except that very few Camaros (including V6s) are sold in those countries. Not totally sure on the global numbers for the Camaro, but I think something like 10% of Camaro sales are outside of North America, maybe less. As such, consumer preference in those markets isn't going to play that big of a role unless GM plans on selling several times as many international Camaros as they do now (regulations on equipment that can be easily swapped out, like side mirrors, is a different story).

But besides: I'd be willing to bet that a sizable portion of international buyers that want a Camaro want it to come with a V8 for the exact same reason as American buyers: muscle cars need a V8. I don't necessarily share that logic, but its hard to deny that such people exist. And, since we're talking about international buyers, I think the sentiment might even be stronger among them: if you are buying a piece of Americana why not go all the way & get it with a big thumping V8? Its already an expensive indulgence (the SS starts at the equivalent to $55,000 in the UK, for example).

Lastly ... from what I can tell, in Europe the Camaro is V8 only (I think Europe is the main region for displacement taxes). This would be a strange decision if displacement taxes were a driving force behind GM's global Camaro sales & marketing plan.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #25
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
I'm sure it'll be a performance monster, but am I alone in thinking that the ATS-V coupe LOOKS horrible?
Nope - I completely agree.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
I doubt that there will be a TT V6.

Last edited by oneredry; 11-18-2014 at 08:32 AM.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #27
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
I'm sure it'll be a performance monster, but am I alone in thinking that the ATS-V coupe LOOKS horrible?
The design theme certainly is not as fluid as an M3 unfortunately.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #28
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
The 2.0L turbo has had 270ish horsepower since 2008, I think it's time it pushes 300hp at least ...... needs more like 320hp ......... if the 6th Gen weighed in @ 3,400lbs(2.0L) with better gears, posi in the Auto and a PG tranny, i'd be happy .....
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote