Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-23-2024, 08:48 AM   #1
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
Brake Pedal Lock-Theft Deterrent

Hi,
Anyone using (or tried) this brake pedal lock as an additional step for a thief to steal your car?
Seems like using the steering wheel club can be easily bypassed by simply hack-sawing the steering wheel to remove the club.
The brake pedal lock seems as though it might be a more difficult option to remove?
Thanks,
Tyrolblue67
Attached Images

Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 01:29 PM   #2
roostere4

Drives: 1987 IROC, 2020 ZL1
I have one that I use from time to time as needed. It completely locks the break pedal in my car from moving and since it's a auto the car can't be started.

It's made from what appears to be a decent steel. However the weak point on this which practically all devices have is the lock. It looks like it is also hardened, however with the right bits and a powerful enough cordless drill I don't doubt it can be drilled out.

Though I suspect for most thieves they might not be carrying that and even if they are. It's going to add some time, hopefully on the order of several minutes to defeat the car and then continue.

That's why I also have an OBD lock and IGLA installed. All about layers to the security.
roostere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:14 PM   #3
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
As above mentioned, the lock is always the weak point as it can be drilled out, and I agree with the layering approach. Donut on YouTube did a video where they went through several of these types of anti-theft products and how they could be defeated without much difficulty.

That being said, I'm probably going to invest in one and a steering wheel club as well to pair with the other anti-theft measures I've installed. The multi-layered approach seems to be a solid one, to me at least. If they get past the club, pedal lock, they have to then figure out the killswitch/immobilizer.

Plenty of time to grab old Betsy, at least
Deacon Blues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:09 AM   #4
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
Thanks for the info and input.
There is no 100 percent solution, but maybe if you take steps to make it a bit more difficult, they "might" move on.
Tyrolblue67
Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:01 AM   #5
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolblue67 View Post
Thanks for the info and input.
There is no 100 percent solution, but maybe if you take steps to make it a bit more difficult, they "might" move on.
Tyrolblue67

100% agree.
Deacon Blues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 05:04 PM   #6
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
This device is easily defeated by drilling the lock out in just a matter of seconds. Sad to see this video at 23:35, I was hoping this would fair better. Need to find a better device than this for the brake or clutch.

Watch the whole video. Great entertainment.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:20 PM   #7
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Pretty silly video, I watched it along with some others. I'm considering adding that, just as another layer. First the thief needs to have a drill, which they very well might have. But imagine a thief getting into a car, then having to drill out a steering wheel lock, brake pedal lock, then having to remove an OBD port lock, then finding out the port is dead. Even if he finds the OBD port tucked up in the dash, the car still doesn't start (kill switch). They just might run screaming from that car, even at some point before they get to the end of that line. Every little thing helps.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 05:32 PM   #8
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
But imagine a thief getting into a car, then having to drill out a steering wheel lock, brake pedal lock, then having to remove an OBD port lock, then finding out the port is dead. Even if he finds the OBD port tucked up in the dash, the car still doesn't start (kill switch).
Agreed. Multi-layers are needed to discourage a thief to move on to easier targets. The video had good entertainment value though.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:17 PM   #9
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Tyro, thanks for this post. I've been following all the theft threads, and I didn't care about going crazy with the OBD pull out and fake one. I ordered this for my 1SS with an M6 after seeing it, and I'm going to put it on my clutch pedal.

It's a daily driver for the next 3 years or so, and if the M6 doesn't deter anybody, maybe this will fit the bill.

I appreciate it. Getting it soon,and will use it when I go to work in Houston and park in parking garages for my depositions for hours on end. Only time I'm really worried about my car being jacked.

Thanks.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:01 AM   #10
MadeInHB

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
Tyro, thanks for this post. I've been following all the theft threads, and I didn't care about going crazy with the OBD pull out and fake one. I ordered this for my 1SS with an M6 after seeing it, and I'm going to put it on my clutch pedal.

It's a daily driver for the next 3 years or so, and if the M6 doesn't deter anybody, maybe this will fit the bill.

I appreciate it. Getting it soon,and will use it when I go to work in Houston and park in parking garages for my depositions for hours on end. Only time I'm really worried about my car being jacked.

Thanks.

I’ve been seeing videos of manuals being stolen. They weren’t driving them. They put it into neutral and then had their buddies in another car drive by pushing the Camaro. The their just steered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MadeInHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:21 PM   #11
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInHB View Post
I’ve been seeing videos of manuals being stolen. They weren’t driving them. They put it into neutral and then had their buddies in another car drive by pushing the Camaro. The their just steered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I hear you on that. I saw a Ring camera video of somebody pushing a Dodge down the street since it was probably a manual. I'm guessing that happens more at night with people parking their car outside, but mine is garaged luckily.

The M6 might deter some, but not all for sure. Why this is a pretty cool option. Just one more thing to slow them down. And if anybody orders one and has a M6, don't get the V15 if you want to put it on the clutch pedal. I got it in today, and it won't fit. Thing is too wide.

It will only fit on the brake pedal. Looks like the V35 is wider, but not sure if it's wide enough to go around the clutch pedal. Thing is way more solid than I expected. I know it can be drilled, but better than nothing.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:00 PM   #12
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInHB View Post
I’ve been seeing videos of manuals being stolen. They weren’t driving them. They put it into neutral and then had their buddies in another car drive by pushing the Camaro. Then they just steered
I’m trying to figure this out:

1. If you set the parking brake, there is NO WAY you’re pushing the car anywhere - those rear wheels are locked tighter than a Catholic school girl on a first date. If you try to push it with a car you’ll be reving the other car’s engine up, smoking the tires, making lots of squealing noise, and probably crunch the bumpers and back/front ends.

2. You cannot disengage the parking brake unless you engage accessory mode.

3. How does anyone steer if they haven’t engaged accessory mode? The wheel is almost impossible to turn without the electric power steering active.

4. Of course I’m assuming the thugs haven’t hacked the OBDII port. Of course they’d have to hack the port first to engage acc then turn off the parking brake. Then I guess they could push and steer without starting.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:02 PM   #13
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
I’m trying to figure this out:

1. If you set the parking brake, there is NO WAY you’re pushing the car anywhere - those rear wheels are locked tighter than a Catholic school girl on a first date. If you try to push it with a car you’ll be reving the other car’s engine up, smoking the tires, making lots of squealing noise, and probably crunch the bumpers and back/front ends.

2. You cannot disengage the parking brake unless you engage accessory mode.

3. How does anyone steer if they haven’t engaged accessory mode? The wheel is almost impossible to turn without the electric power steering active.
It’s called horse power over friction, they don’t care if the tires have a flat spot at the end of the journey
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:09 PM   #14
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
It’s called horse power over friction, they don’t care if the tires have a flat spot at the end of the journey
The amount of meat on the rear tires would make an awful screeching noise. If they were trying to be quiet about it that would certainly blow their cover.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote