Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
Adams H2O Guard and Gloss Question

I used it for the first time on a dark colored car. After wiping dry there were smear marks left in different places. Could it be I used too much product? The shine looks good. I had to rewipe the sections that looked smeared and dry again. Any help would be appreciated.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
A few possibilities.

First off this is a good product, I went through a gallon of it, everyone's car I put it on liked it.

Smears/streaks can be caused by a few things.

1) Not shaking the bottle really well initially. A few shakes afterwards per section done also helps.

2) Loading up the wet towel with product. In the application video for the wet method, 2 towels are used. I used 3. Two wet and one dry. Swap out wet towels after each section, this ensures an even application every time. Stick the used one back in the bucket under the fresh one, repeat each section done.

3) Not enough water on the car. HGG is a water activated acrylic resin. It needs water to activate. After washing, if the water is drying too fast, fill a spray bottle with water, distilled works best, and mist each panel before spraying HGG on.

4) Using too much product. A little of this goes a long way. Use less product. Streaks are basically unactivated product, so if you see them, after using the dry towel, wipe slowly with fresh wet towel to activate product. No pressure is needed, then wipe with dry towel. A 16 oz bottle should do around 11 applications to a G5 Camaro.

A plush microfiber works really well. I used RC Everest 1100's, but any plush towel will do.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 06-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Fireman124

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try some of the techniques you suggested. You are correct the shine it adds is great.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Z06-SS

Drives: 2016 Z06
Same issue...I use & like many of Adams products but the H2o is horrible to use imo.
Z06-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
I've used it with great luck and no smear marks.

This is not a product you let sit for any duration and wipe immediately. Not shacking it thoroughly before use and during use will also result in poor results.

Great product once you get the hang of how to use it.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman124 View Post
I used it for the first time on a dark colored car. After wiping dry there were smear marks left in different places. Could it be I used too much product? The shine looks good. I had to rewipe the sections that looked smeared and dry again. Any help would be appreciated.
I agree you probably used too much product, after you do say half the car your MF towel will get loaded up with product so you won't have to use as much H2O as you did for the first half of the car.
Hope this helps.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
A couple things I forgot.

If your using HGG as your ONLY protection, when you do your two bucket wash, use a strip wash to remove any old waxes or sealants that are on the car. This will give the HGG a better surface to bond to, prolonging it's lifespan. I've seen it last just over 4 months on a garaged car that was only driven on weekends.

Daily drivers will get at least two months.

If your using this as a topper over Adams Liquid Paint Sealant, the strip wash isn't needed.

If you want to apply wax, put it on top of the HGG, not underneath it. Waxes underneath will result in HGG lasting around 4-6 weeks.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Fireman124

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I must have used too much product because I used just the one rag for the whole car and sprayed each panel. I will try the first step with either two rags or not spray as much on next time I use it.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
I love the Guard and Gloss Especially on my Black car works Wonders

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
Tim417

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I’ve been happy with my Meguiar’s Xpress Wax as far as beading and longeity (for a liquid spray wax) but I recently ran out. I decided to try the Adams H2O G&G due to the rave reviews here, and I must say: wow. The shine is unbelievable, especially for a spray on/wipe off product.

I have black paint, but I stuck with the 2-3 spray per panel guideline and I didn’t have any issues with streaking. I can’t speak to its longevity as I’ve only had this stuff for about a week, but so far the shine gets 5 stars. Its as if I hand waxed and glazed the car.
Tim417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #11
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Do one panel at a time.
Don't use too much product, just a spray or two per panel
Level/even the product on the one panel with a wet microfiber
Buff/Dry the one panel with a second microfiber (a dry one)
Move to the next panel

Too much product or letting it dry will cause issues.

If there are some noticeable streaks of marks seen after you're done, wipe those with the wet microfiber you'd used to apply once you've ringed out any excess water/product and buff off that area with a dry microfiber.

I used Adam's H2O Guard & Gloss on an Audi A4 I detailed this past weekend and was able to apply with one wet microfiber and buff/dry with another; two towels, that's it.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
Wytlighting

Drives: 14 ss vert
Weather also plays a big role. Been using the H2O product for a while and love it, one time early on it was very humid in the pm the car had streaks that wouldn't go away. I left it sit over nite and the next morning it looked awesome.
Wytlighting is offline   Reply With Quote