Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
yardstick

Drives: 2012 Black 1SS
Reliability of the Camaro SS

Just a question for those who have maintained their cars in stock form or with just a CAI/axle back and no tune. Have you had any problems with your SS?
yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
camoman

Drives: 2010 1SS IBM L99
2 1/2 years with only flowmaster AMT axle back,edelbrock resonator delete x-pipe and AFM tuned off,and no problems at all
camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
I'm about to hit the two year mark and I'm at 35k miles. I've had absolutely zero issues aside from an AC compressor problem that was covered under warranty. The drivetrain on these cars are proven and, unless you get a factory lemon that could happen to any car from any manufacturer, you will have no major problems.

Might I add I drive a tuned L99 A6 car that has been beat on since new.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardstick View Post
Just a question for those who have maintained their cars in stock form or with just a CAI/axle back and no tune. Have you had any problems with your SS?
Ive wondered about this to because most of the posts are people that have problems with their cars, I suppose its like the news, no one reports good news, only bad.

Ive had ZERO issues with my SS but its not a DD but either this car seems solid...
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Only problem was a failed seal on the engine block fitting to the hose that routes coolant to the oil cooler.

Repaired under warranty.

There are no mods on my SS.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Pure stock. 20.4k. Zero issues. No problems. Zip. Zero. Nada.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
camarogolfguy
Camarogolfguy

Drives: 2012 ssrs
My engine melted at 3k on the 2010 model (2ss Gs 6spd). Not due to me. got rid of it. have a 2012 to replace it. No problems so far into 3600 Miles.
camarogolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic Dusk Ed.
2010 2ss Abm 43k miles had my longtubes full exhaust tune and cai for almost 20k miles and have had no major mechanical problems just a strange computer hiccup but got that resolved quickly by a reflash
TRIPWIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Have had driver rear backup light fill with water and replaced less than a week after purchase. Had passenger outer turn signal blow out on Saturday. Always seems to be this light that goes first on these cars. No other issues other than tires will need to be replaced very soon. 19k and 19 mos old.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
The cars have 100k mile power train warranties. Why even ask this qestion about stock cars unless you specify something like over 50k miles or something? Maybe I'm missing the point here?

Btw my car is stock but not been best on too much yet, and no issues other than the SDM being replaced under warranty, but that's nothing.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Consumer reports rates the SS a bit better than the V6 - about average.

My V6 has been flawless.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
My 2010 SS is 30 months old with 15K miles and no issues. I have GMPP cat back and airaid CAI but otherwise stock. I just love this car. My 7th Camaro (plus a Firebird Formula and a GTO in the mix). Loved every one.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
I've had the clutch pedal lose all pressure twice in 16000 miles. and I get the very infrequent grind shifting into 2nd or 3rd. Other than that, no problems with the engine/tranny.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
The cars have 100k mile power train warranties. Why even ask this qestion about stock cars unless you specify something like over 50k miles or something? Maybe I'm missing the point here?

Btw my car is stock but not been best on too much yet, and no issues other than the SDM being replaced under warranty, but that's nothing.
I find it to be a legit question. Besides all bumper to bumper being gone at 36/3yr so is all of the below and more.

You do realize a ton of stuff is only covered for 36k and plenty of actual powertrain stuff is excluded that costs a bundle to repair yourself right?.

Here are a few that are only good to 36k that one MIGHT think are pretty significant to your "powertrain".

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.
Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors. Also excluded are the clutch and pressure plate as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, electrical connectors as well as the transfer case control module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs,drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.

Last edited by daveagogo1; 07-16-2012 at 10:33 PM.
daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote