Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Two sets of back wheels - Safety question.

I recently bought a 2010 2SS from the dealership where I work. It has 89,000 miles, so I got it for super cheap as a daily driver. Our service department put brand new tires on it, but the actual wheels are all four REAR wheel sized (but the new tire sizes are the correct, staggered size for an SS). After seeing this, I purchased a set of pre-owned SS wheels from a Facebook group, but haven't mounted them, yet.

My question is, does my current wheel/tire setup pose any safety issues? I'm somewhat debating selling my recently purchased SS wheels to buy something fun for my other SS. I've had two mechanics tell me that having the smaller tire on the bigger front wheel poses no safety threat, but I want to get some further opinions. We're going to be traveling pretty far in this car to Camaro Fest, and I don't want to have any issues because of the tires. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
macman2212
Alex

Drives: 2011 2SS
As long as the tires they used can fit on a 10" wide rim then you'll be ok.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
My ex-dealership sorta-kinda did this same thing to me, except they put a stock rear tire on a stock front wheel and a stock front tire on a stock rear wheel.

I don't give a crap if Mr. Goodwrench himself flies down from Heaven on the back of the 12 Apostles and swears to me on the original copy of the Bible that "it's OK". The shop is supposed to know how to spec out the correct tire.

Now in my case, the tires and wheels were therefore asymmetrical, and in yours they are not, but that's beside the point: the GM factory doesn't build them the way your shop installed them.

If it was me, the mechanics can say anything they like to me, but unless they can show me where GM specifies that tire for that wheel, I'd be making them buy the right goddam equipment for the car, and then install it correctly, whether I work there or not. There's right and wrong, and you're a customer too.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #4
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
My ex-dealership sorta-kinda did this same thing to me, except they put a stock rear tire on a stock front wheel and a stock front tire on a stock rear wheel.

I don't give a crap if Mr. Goodwrench himself flies down from Heaven on the back of the 12 Apostles and swears to me on the original copy of the Bible that "it's OK". The shop is supposed to know how to spec out the correct tire.

Now in my case, the tires and wheels were therefore asymmetrical, and in yours they are not, but that's beside the point: the GM factory doesn't build them the way your shop installed them.

If it was me, the mechanics can say anything they like to me, but unless they can show me where GM specifies that tire for that wheel, I'd be making them buy the right g****m equipment for the car, and then install it correctly, whether I work there or not. There's right and wrong, and you're a customer too.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. But, in their defense, I bought the car at cost, and they actually did come out of pocket for a few minor repairs, so we lost a decent amount of money on the deal. That was a car we could have made some good money on, too. I wasn't going to bitch to them about buying me a matched set of wheels. I bought a set online for a few hundred bucks, and I can get them mounted and balanced for pretty cheap.

I'm just wondering if it's even worth it, which is what this post is actually about. If there's no safety hazard having a smaller [less wide] tire on a bigger [wider] wheel, I might just re-sell the wheels I have sitting at my office.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
You're actually better off with the two sets of rear OEM wheels. When the present set of tires wear out (245/275), you can get 275's all around and the car will actually handle better with the wider rubber up front.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
You're actually better off with the two sets of rear OEM wheels. When the present set of tires wear out (245/275), you can get 275's all around and the car will actually handle better with the wider rubber up front.
Really? I've read on this forum before where people have complained about the 275s in the front rubbing the wheel well [when turning] when a dealer accidentally rotated an SS or V6 RS rears to the front.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #7
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Really? I've read on this forum before where people have complained about the 275s in the front rubbing the wheel well [when turning] when a dealer accidentally rotated an SS or V6 RS rears to the front.
You might be correct on that, but other posts have been about how a lot of people were looking for rears to put in the fronts. Might need a slim spacer?
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:29 AM   #8
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
You might be correct on that, but other posts have been about how a lot of people were looking for rears to put in the fronts. Might need a slim spacer?
That makes sense, actually.

Either way, I'm not looking to buy new tires, as the ones that are on there now are brand new. I just want to know if having that setup is in any way dangerous. Seeing that lip on the front wheel makes me nervous.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:39 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Adam.....there are a TON of people running a set of stock OEM rears AND with 275/40's all the way around. I have been running that combo for nearly 2-1/2 years with NO rubbing issues at all.....even lock to lock.

the reason that so many people have done it is for handling reasons.... it makes the car have a more neutral handling profile.... it removes the understear that was built into the car.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the advice, but does anyone have an answer to my original question? Is there any safety issue having that front set of tires on a rear wheel size setup? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
The OEM rear wheels are 20x9 not 20x10 as posted by somebody above.

A 245/45/R20 is fine on a 20x9 wheel which if you have 4 OEM wheels is what you have up front. That's perfectly safe, if you question it just go to the tire manufacturers site and they will list the approved rim widths for that tire. Every 245/45R20 i've seen is OK'd up to a 9" wheel.

So no, there is no safety issue.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #12
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. But, in their defense, I bought the car at cost, and they actually did come out of pocket for a few minor repairs, so we lost a decent amount of money on the deal. That was a car we could have made some good money on, too. I wasn't going to bitch to them about buying me a matched set of wheels. I bought a set online for a few hundred bucks, and I can get them mounted and balanced for pretty cheap.

I'm just wondering if it's even worth it, which is what this post is actually about. If there's no safety hazard having a smaller [less wide] tire on a bigger [wider] wheel, I might just re-sell the wheels I have sitting at my office.

Well, yes, then I can see the point
Old 04-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
The OEM rear wheels are 20x9 not 20x10 as posted by somebody above.

A 245/45/R20 is fine on a 20x9 wheel which if you have 4 OEM wheels is what you have up front. That's perfectly safe, if you question it just go to the tire manufacturers site and they will list the approved rim widths for that tire. Every 245/45R20 i've seen is OK'd up to a 9" wheel.

So no, there is no safety issue.
Great! Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm putting up my extra set of SS wheels for sale.

Thanks again!