Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #43
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceClark89 View Post
I disagree man the C7Z51-Z06 is not outpacing the C6 Grand Sport-Z06/Z07...or ZR1 for that matter in fact the grandsport and C7Z51 are nearly identical in every performance measure ....yes interior and handling limit and road refinement have improvements. ..but for god sakes C5Z06 3.9-4.2---- 1/4mile@12.2-12.5@113-115mph YES the car has become better developed and has a greater handling threshold ..but for god sakes I'd hope so after 11-15 years.....Weight IS an issue ..."Simplify and add lightness " Lotus engineering has used this motto like a bible GM could really take notes in that manner
I'm sorry but the C7 is a vastly better car in every measure than the C6, with particular emphasis on the lack of an interior that looks/feels like it was designed in the 80s.

And for that matter, the Z06 destroyed the ZR1's lap time at Milford. On its first engineering run.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #44
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I disagree man the C7Z51-Z06 is not outpacing the C6 Grand Sport-Z06/Z07...or ZR1 for that matter in fact the grandsport and C7Z51 are nearly identical in every performance measure ....yes interior and handling limit and road refinement have improvements. ..but for god sakes C5Z06 3.9-4.2---- 1/4mile@12.2-12.5@113-115mph YES the car has become better developed and has a greater handling threshold ..but for god sakes I'd hope so after 11-15 years.....Weight IS an issue ..."Simplify and add lightness " Lotus engineering has used this motto like a bible GM could really take notes in that manner
Not sure where you are getting that info. Take a look at the times at VIR for the Lightning Lap.

C6 ZR1 - 2:50.7
C6 Z06 - 2:53.5
C7 (pretty sure it was Z51) - 2:53.8

The C7 does exactly what it set out to do, the Z51 achieves the same level of performance the previous Z06 did.

Also take a look at the latest Motor Trend retest of the Z06. It did indeed best the time of the Nismo GTR.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #45
BryceClark89

Drives: 01 Alero GLSV6/ 07 ZX-14/ 06GTO
As I said I agree to disagree handling measures yes but the over all performance spectrum hasn't improved substantial amount in the last 15 years and yes yes yes iam on GMinside news and the tourqe report autoblog jalopnik exct exct exct all the damn time i know the C7Z06 is a track monster id hope so with that much areo ....iam speaking in terms of real world performance data ...and before everyone goes out to rip me a new one ...i like the C7 ..i dont see it as being that huge barhain yet...but enough about Corvette this is a Camaro forum after all I'm just saying the c7 was supposed to lose weight it didn't GM is saying with the Camaro is supposed to lose weight, but how much....I know all about VIR I lived in roanoke VA for 22 years I driven on the grand course its blindingly fast spooky track....the 1le camaro can also post sub 3min laps via set of worn out tires stoped it from doing so. The GrandSport also a sub 3min car....the track had also been resurfaced and widened....little Tid bit
Owned lifted 88 dakota two door short bed V6 4x4, Yellow/black LB9 powered 85 IrocZ28 MODS Edlebrock intake, throttle body spacers and mass air flow sensor, Edlebrock full exhaust, K&N drop in's, B&M 700r4 shift kit. 2001.olds alero GLSV6, BIKE~ 2007 Lazer Metallic Blue ZX-14

Last edited by BryceClark89; 03-19-2015 at 05:23 PM.
BryceClark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #46
z928

Drives: 500SL, 928 GTS, E36 328
Right hand drive please :P
z928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #47
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Ill tell you, after owning a C5Z06 and a C6 Grand Sport, the Z was quicker. But in all fairness, it had mods. Regardless, at the end of the day, Id had taken that GS ANY DAY over the older Z06. Far better car. I can only imagine what the new C7 is like.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #48
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by H13rarchy View Post
Wasn't the C7 supposed to lose weight as well? And that didn't happen either...
No, no it wasn't and I don't believe GM ever said it would be. Engine weighs more, steel torque tube for AFM? That added 50 pounds. Tech and interior added more. Just be pause we hope it would doesn't mean it was ever supposed to.

Quote:
Exactly exactly exactly! !!! C7 was supposed to loose weight...while the suspension and chassis lost weight over the previous model the car as a whole gained. ..Once again I say may not be the case but GM wasn't specific on the C7...or C7Z06 do that matter ...BUT anyway
Again no. It was not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Mustang and Corvette were already as light as possible. The Camaro was over weight from day one. You can't compare each situation.
Ding ding ding ........ Winner

Quote:
Quote:
As I said I agree to disagree handling measures yes but the over all performance spectrum hasn't improved substantial amount in the last 15 years and yes yes yes iam on GMinside news and the tourqe report autoblog jalopnik exct exct exct all the damn time i know the C7Z06 is a track monster id hope so with that much areo ....iam speaking in terms of real world performance data ...and before everyone goes out to rip me a new one ...i like the C7 ..i dont see it as being that huge barhain yet...but enough about Corvette this is a Camaro forum after all I'm just saying the c7 was supposed to lose weight it didn't GM is saying with the Camaro is supposed to lose weight, but how much....I know all about VIR I lived in roanoke VA for 22 years I driven on the grand course its blindingly fast spooky track....the 1le camaro can also post sub 3min laps via set of worn out tires stoped it from doing so. The GrandSport also a sub 3min car....the track had also been resurfaced and widened....little Tid bit
The performance envelope has expanded exponentially. I have no clue where you are getting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Ill tell you, after owning a C5Z06 and a C6 Grand Sport, the Z was quicker. But in all fairness, it had mods. Regardless, at the end of the day, Id had taken that GS ANY DAY over the older Z06. Far better car. I can only imagine what the new C7 is like.
Your admission of modification renders your comparison moot.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #49
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
people...we aren't buying a 300K vehicle made with the latest light weight composites...the 6amaro is going to be heavy....but I don't really care, as long as it performs well and is fun to drive, and at this point I have no concerns that it won't kick a$$.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #50
Gforce8
WFO all the way

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS, Kalahari, 6 speed
weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
people...we aren't buying a 300K vehicle made with the latest light weight composites...the 6amaro is going to be heavy....but I don't really care, as long as it performs well and is fun to drive, and at this point I have no concerns that it won't kick a$$.

Exactly
Nobody beats Camaro in bang for the buck.
My 1SS was $32,500 in 2009. The price of a loaded Accord with performance rivaling $80,000 cars!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #51
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Guy driving an alero says performance hasnt increased in 15 years. Maybe time to trade in my great aunts Oldsmobile.

Edit: still concerned about weight. It was/is a major hurdle to deal with the current gen. Just can't get passed it. Consumable cost, braking zones, acceleration, speed, and hell even economy are effected by weight. The current camaros unsprung weight is atrocious as well. ****ing 100 pound truck wheels and tire combo was a bad move.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #52
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Hey I was going to buy an Alero in college.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #53
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
It became acceptable when safety requirements dictated 16 airbags. And consumers decided that sports cars need power everything and touch screens and keyless entry and all of the things the expect in a s-class Mercedes. I don't know why people think they can have everything and lose weight. Every gadget adds weight and wiring and adds up.

and herein lies a part of the problem. Further, people want a solid car that is safe with a 5 star crash rating. (rightfully so)
Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #54
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Wasn't there a video "interview" of some of the engineers involved with making the c7 that mentioned the car being lighter?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #55
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Wasn't there a video "interview" of some of the engineers involved with making the c7 that mentioned the car being lighter?
They said the frame is lighter, which it is. They never mentioned the entire care being lighter due to reasons mentioned above. I do believe Ford claimed the Mustang to be lighter than the previous generation well before the release and we all know how that ended.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #56
BryceClark89

Drives: 01 Alero GLSV6/ 07 ZX-14/ 06GTO
what are you going to race with ...a skate board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Guy driving an alero says performance hasnt increased in 15 years. Maybe time to trade in my great aunts Oldsmobile.

Edit: still concerned about weight. It was/is a major hurdle to deal with the current gen. Just can't get passed it. Consource of tranpertationsumable cost, braking zones, acceleration, speed, and hell even economy are effected by weight. The current camaros unsprung weight is atrocious as well. ****ing 100 pound truck wheels and tire combo was a bad move.
At least then youd have a car. 4 Years ago i was tasked with a massive choice. A family and a house, or an ellectric blue 2004 Z06 red interior ...i flew to PA to buy the car ...i walked away at the last minute. I now actually own my house and have a reliable source of transportation. Iam sorry it doesn't quite meet your expectations. ..but iam willing to bet that ive spent More time at VIR than you or nearly anyone else on this forum ..I miss my camaro but my life progressed. ..now that iam situated ill more then like beable to afford a new SS when it released. ..ive had the fortune of beeing a passenger in a ZR1 and gad the joy of driving a friends Z06C5 and a C6 2011GrandSport. ..both of which were fantastic experience. I leased an 06 torrid red GTO for a while diablo sport tune K&N airintake and slp front and rear sway bars ..I may not own a barn burner but ive had my fun what you got ...
Owned lifted 88 dakota two door short bed V6 4x4, Yellow/black LB9 powered 85 IrocZ28 MODS Edlebrock intake, throttle body spacers and mass air flow sensor, Edlebrock full exhaust, K&N drop in's, B&M 700r4 shift kit. 2001.olds alero GLSV6, BIKE~ 2007 Lazer Metallic Blue ZX-14
BryceClark89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine speculation