Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
FiLTHy PHiL SS/RS
Me likes Blue

Drives: 1968 Camaro RS, 2010 SS/RS IBM
Just dive in and have fun.
Finish it or sell down the road..
The journey is what it's all about!
Own 68 Camaro RS 327 LeMans Blue, 2002 Vet Electron Blue
FiLTHy PHiL SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #16
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
This is way more than a winter project.

If you've never done something like this before, be careful how you go about it. Just from the few pics you have of it, this car is in extremely rough shape and it is easy to get in over your head very quickly. Those are the types of projects that people start and never finish, so they end up selling the uncompleted car for pennies on the dollar after they have had enough.

Just body repair and panel replacement is going to be well over $10k for you. If you have skills with that stuff, you will be able to keep it under $20k for that part of the project.

If you've never done this type of thing before, getting a solid body is usually the most important thing and I would also be very afraid of what is under that vinyl roof.

Whatever you think the project will cost you... Double it

However long you expect it to take you... Triple it

Once it's finished.. you will probably be vested into it for at least double of what it's actual value will be when done

Now with all that crappy stuff said............. Enjoy the whole process and take lots of pics along the way and NEVER ADD YOUR RECEIPTS!!!

As a man much wiser than me once said, "If you build a car and you make money selling it..... then you're doing it wrong"
Some valid points here, but some are well overstated. Evaluation and planning are key, but the goal is to enjoy the work and learn as you go.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #17
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Thanks guys! I expect to spend 20 grand and 3 to 4 years on this car at least. It is not about the worth, I don't expect to make money on it. I would never buy a car for an investment. But it has huge sentimental value and I will have my family (son in laws and daughter) work on it with me.

Tear down starts this Sat afternoon after open house at a media blaster.
It starts with the mold mitigation and taking the interior out. Then I get done what I get done when it gets done.

I am honestly a little nervous about the job. I have at least two very experienced and expert restoration friends. They have told me what I am in for. The good news is that I have them to guide me so I am not flying blind here.

I am hunting down a good media blast cabinet and starting to search for a welder and a good place to take a class. That is my start.

When it comes to body panels, I have a real expert that has done very high end restorations that will come and TIG weld them for me.

Anytime anyone wants to come and work on it, you are MORE than welcome! LOL.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Thats a heckuva find. I haven't rode in one of those since '73.

Use care when working around it. Looks like it might have been "occupied" for awhile. They leave stuff behind that isn't too healthy for ya !

Good Luck !!!!!
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
NH 2012 SS/RS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
This is way more than a winter project.

Whatever you think the project will cost you... Double it

However long you expect it to take you... Triple it

Once it's finished.. you will probably be vested into it for at least double of what it's actual value will be when done

Now with all that crappy stuff said............. Enjoy the whole process and take lots of pics along the way and NEVER ADD YOUR RECEIPTS!!!

As a man much wiser than me once said, "If you build a car and you make money selling it..... then you're doing it wrong"
Truer works have never been spoken....lol
I did not build my Olds with the intent on selling, I did it just cause...lol. My good friend had one like it back in High School.

Most all of the money I spent has been on materials/parts, not much labor as I did 90% myself. I did send out the Transmission and the heads to have them professionally done.

I am pushing 15k in it.
I decided to sell it this spring
I am asking $7,500 have not seen an offer over 6k...

Guess I need to build a bigger garage if I keep it another year...the Camaro never get to park in there....only time it goes in the garage is for winter storage, never during the summer
2SS/RS IBM * American Racing BLVD Wheels * 275/40 * 295/40 Toyo Proxes * Eibach 1" drop Springs * Elite Catch Can * CAI w/ scoop * CFD Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Shifter w/ Tap Shift * APR Carbon Fiber Splitter * Sequential Tail Lights * MPD1 Spoiler * Hex Vents (CF dipped) * GFX Skirts * BBK SS Shorties * MBRP 3"Exhaust w/ X pipe * Solo Hi-Flow Cats *
NH 2012 SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
Thats a heckuva find. I haven't rode in one of those since '73.

Use care when working around it. Looks like it might have been "occupied" for awhile. They leave stuff behind that isn't too healthy for ya !

Good Luck !!!!!
I bought a respirator last night and some Mold/Germicide stuff along with gloves and brushes. I am going to spray it before I go in and then spray it again, start to take stuff apart and throw most of the interior stuff away.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
FAIRNOT LZ1
It's in black & white

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Summit White #1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
I bought a respirator last night and some Mold/Germicide stuff along with gloves and brushes. I am going to spray it before I go in and then spray it again, start to take stuff apart and throw most of the interior stuff away.
If I were you I'd have that bad girl all torn apart by now, man I love that stuff ...Wish I was closer I would be there daily!
My ZL1 is the first hot rod I never had to do anything to
OH! and anytime you want welding tips or tricks stop by ...I know, to far away
Why the respirator? was this thing in a sewer or toxic vault or something?
DIG IN MAN!

FAIRNOT LZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
Northeast Rod Run

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Thanks guys! I expect to spend 20 grand and 3 to 4 years on this car at least.
like you said... At least.. LOL!!!
Quote:
It is not about the worth, I don't expect to make money on it. I would never buy a car for an investment. But it has huge sentimental value and I will have my family (son in laws and daughter) work on it with me.
That is much more important than the monetary investment

Quote:
Tear down starts this Sat afternoon
When you do the teardown, bag and tag EVERYTHING.. even if they are parts that you plan on throwing away later!!

So many people think they don't need to, saying "I won't forget what this bracket/bolt/clamp goes to" or, "I'm not going to use this so I don't need to save it", yet time and time again people wish they did it when they were told. when you literally have hundreds of nuts, bolt and parts around it is very easy to forget what many things go to.

Quote:
start to take stuff apart and throw most of the interior stuff away.
there is over $2,000.00 in replacement cost alone. Hell, just a complete console for my first gen is around $700.00

Before you start your teardown, you should make out a quick itemized spreadsheet or list. Something like:

Needed body panels cost:
Engine rebuild/replacement:
Suspension costs:
Paint & Body supplies:
Wheels & tires:
Interior:
Wiring & electrical:
Body hardware:
Exterior accessories:
Needed new tools:

That is just an absolute basic list and you can go much deeper, but either way costs will add up much quicker than you think it can. A big problem when restoring a complete car is that you usually end up planning on saving a lot of trim parts, but once you place them against a new paintjob, you realize that they look a lot worse than you thought they would

I'm not trying to scare you or be negative in any way AT ALL, but just trying to give you a little experienced insight into things that many people don't think about doing. The most important thing is to have fun and if you ever feel overwhelmed, close the door and put the tools away for a month or two.

As much as I would stress all of what I have been saying, I would stress even more that IT'S JUST A CAR SO DON'T LET IT GET THE BEST OF YOU.. and most importantly....... HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #23
Northeast Rod Run

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Here is probably one of the best forums you can join for information on your new toy.

Lots of the big boys hang out over there

http://www.camaros.net/forums/
Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Thats gonna be a great project.
Congrats and have fun with it.

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
When you do the teardown, bag and tag EVERYTHING.. even if they are parts that you plan on throwing away later!!

This is a must, invest in different sizes zip lock bags, sharpies and tags with strings or wires.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Thanks for the advice. I have been getting the same from all my contacts that have done numerous restorations. I will not throw anything away unless it's a health issue. I already have boxes of bags and a brother labeling machine. Also, I plan on getting a log book to track what I am doing and when. Anyone that knows me isn't worried about pictures. LOL.

I LOVE the idea about the spreadsheet! I will start that too and track everything I spend.

After spraying the mold, I am not even sure it's mold. It might just be a combination of dust and mildew. It is cleaning up pretty well inside.

Tomorrow afternoon I will start pulling the interior apart.
Come on by!

I NEED WELDING CLASSES BAD! Al!! Come up for a day after I buy my MIG.

Already a member of Team Camaro and Nasty Z28.
Both great sites (NastyZ28 is really great for second gens)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey Dan if you need some welding tips I'm close by. We didn't have a chance to get you laying beads last time I was there but anytime you want to use my machine let me know.

Sent from my Galaxy "LS3"

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #28
rickyrocket

Drives: 2015 blk 1 SS
make sure you buy a mig w/gas,not flux core wire,flux core wire makes crappy welds