Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 05-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Pivot ball Joint on BMR toe Rods Questions

Should the toe rods sit like this ? I am new to suspension stuff have done everything myself so far but just unsure of all the details. I feel like in standard position if they are pivoted all the way over what happens if it needs more room to move ?
Attached Images

Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
if I remember right, just rotate the bar itself down. the adjustment can be made with the ends attached, so as long both ends are roughly the same position shouldn't be an issue.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
Dustya

Thanks I'll give it a twist and see if it's free moving, it's the same position on both sides so that tells me something is causing them to fall into this position.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Need to buy some seals for the joint or they'll get sloppy before you know it
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
Need to buy some seals for the joint or they'll get sloppy before you know it
didn't know they made em. but are they something like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...ZLFGgIt2fD_BwE

this isn't the right size, I just picked the first ones I saw, BTW...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 05-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Dustya

With a company like BMR who is up front and pretty much honest about everything why would they not suggest or recommend the seals ?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
glenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
didn't know they made em. but are they something like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...ZLFGgIt2fD_BwE

this isn't the right size, I just picked the first ones I saw, BTW...
Yes, just need to size it properly, they come in different sizes dependent on the pivot pin size.

You can also get these local and trim to fit http://www.oscaroparts.com/dorman-st...FVU9gQodGA8Kkg
Old 05-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
glenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
With a company like BMR who is up front and pretty much honest about everything why would they not suggest or recommend the seals ?
why not include them with the part, easier than looking for them
Old 05-29-2017, 01:12 AM   #9
Dustya

Quote:
Yeah thats my point are they truly needed then ? If they were I think it something BMR would bring to our attention or include.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
glenB

Quote:
Yeah thats my point are they truly needed then ? If they were I think it something BMR would bring to our attention or include.
They're needed, look at the joint. I don't even see a liner on that joint. I'm guessing that's anti-seize all over it, but you can see the dirt.

You need to keep dirt out of the joint. At the least they should be using a nylon lined joint that sweeps the ball.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I remember asking Pete about em on the front radius rod spherical bearings. I got a general answer from Kent a while ago here http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...ight=spherical

about the product. maybe if more requested em, it would occur, but for the time being. they try to get a product to us at a reasonable price, and also most of their products are "race oriented" when you get to rod end and spherical ball joint level.

with that being said, once worn, a replacement is the way to go.

but if they were to add these from BMR, gotta expect the price to go up as they would have to invest in a supplier that meets their standards.

also, side note. the FE4 link I put the picture up of, its a spherical ball joint. gm also has the rubber boot thingy on it. so it can be done. but like said, it will come at an additional cost.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Should the toe rods sit like this ? I am new to suspension stuff have done everything myself so far but just unsure of all the details. I feel like in standard position if they are pivoted all the way over what happens if it needs more room to move ?
You want to have each rod end rotated so they are centered in the mounts. This will prevent any bind during normal suspension travel.

As far as cleaning, we recommend using a mild soap and water to clean them, letting them air dry, and treating them with a quality metal protector like this one from AMSOIL.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=AMHSC-EA

There are times we recommend the rod end boots and times we don't. Technically, with a Teflon-lined rod end like the ones we use from FK Bearing and Viking Performance, the Teflon lining gives it a self-cleaning property that takes care of a very large portion of the contamination that the rod ends sees.

I know people are going to agree and disagree with this, but this how we have treated this topic for years with very few issues. Our rod ends are also covered under warranty, so if there are any issues we will replace them. I can probably count on one hand the amount of rod ends we've replaced, and that's across all product lines.

You also need to remember that rod ends are a wear item, like wheel bearing or ball joints. If you neglect them, you're more likely to have issues. Inspect them, keep them clean, keep them lubricated and you won't have issues!

-Pete
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
Dustya

Perfect information!!! And we'll worded my 2 cents would be to include this information with the product so noobies like me aren't scratching our heads.