Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Lol! AutoTrader.ca SCAMMERS

Hi All,

I'm sure some of you have experience in this area but just in case you don't, I thought I'd help you look out for a scam.

Recently I put my 2SS RS 1LE up for sale on the website AutoTrader.ca. While I'm sure the service is good and legit, some of the people there definitely are not.

I keep receiving emails that look like this:

Quote:
Hi, I found your listing on autoTRADER.ca and would like to know more about the vehicle. Please send me more information about the 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS 1L#. Thank you.
This is the standard email sent to you when anyone is interested in your car from Autotrader because it is part of their script. No big deal so far.

The email address is "...@outlook.com". Female name.

So I reply with a short and polite email:

Quote:
Hello Ashley,

Thank you for your interest in my 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE.

What would you like to know?

Mark

A few days later I get this BS reply:

Quote:
Hello!

I saw your ad online and like what I see! I'm currently out of town and I'm excited because its just what i've been looking for!
Can you tell me more about the Condition, Rust, Service history, The final price accepted ?
How many owners? Any non-OEM parts or weird quirks I should know about? Why are you selling it?
Please understand that I wont be able to call you due to my sore throat, I am really sorry about that
Thanks so much! Looking forward to seeing more from you! Any extra pictures would be appreciated too!

Sincerely,
Thanks

Still seems fairly legit, but my spicy senses are tingling. This is BS and I know it. Here's the last email:

Quote:
Hi Again!!

Thank you for all the details, I love it! Have you had any other parties interested? I was hoping I could reserve it or something until I am back in town. Can I put down a full deposit? I can upfront you a payment immediately if this is cool with you.. Do you have PayPal? If not you should set one up at http://www.paypal.com/. Send me an invoice with your paypal for the full price and I will pay it so you know that I'm serious. Okay? I've a courier agent that will come for the pickup after the payment has been made in your PayPal account, thanks and keep me posted asap.

Talk soon,
Sarah Marc-Antonine
So unless you're really asleep at the wheel, you can now tell 100% that this is a scammer. I had another email, very similar to this one, but the guy claimed he was in Russia and would send someone to pick the car up "today" and put it on a ship back to him. Lol!!

No one will ever buy your car site-unseen. Never accept a Paypal payment for your car. Accept cash or certified check only, or have them wire it to you. Make sure you have the funds in your bank account before giving up the car. Etc, etc etc, etc etc etc....
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
slededorilllia
slededorillia

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
ya, i ve had a number of these emails which are a joke to normal people who buy and sell stuff....i get them when im selling a skidoo or something like that, i will normally send them back a totally ridiculous question that makes no sense to someone who knows the item. I will say something like, " My snowmobile runs better in the water and sometimes it goes really fast in the dirt".....just to see their response, then you know if they're legit or not.....ask them if they want the "bonus 4X4 off-road kit" with the camaro....and see their response....sometimes i get a good laugh at these scammers.....
slededorilllia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
I still trust Autotrader, more than any other site, and find that the SERIOUS BUYER is more likely to shop here.
However, we can't get away from these scammers, losers, etc.

A couple of years ago I was selling my dad's Camry and within 12hrs of posting my ad, I got an e-mail and then a phone call, from what I think could of been two different people.

BE AWARE OF THIS SCAM: Both interested buyers happen to be looking for a car for their father and/or uncle (I never mentioned that it was my dad's car I was selling).
These guys (both of them) just happen to be working offshore, for some oil company, and wanted to do the transaction via Paypal, even without seeing the car in person, not to mention insistent...I told them both, politely, to take a flying leap off their oil rig. NO MONEY IN HAND, NO DEAL!

My advice (the final decision is always yours how to complete a transaction) is to NEVER DO TRANSACTIONS unless you can get money in hand!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post

My advice (the final decision is always yours how to complete a transaction) is to NEVER DO TRANSACTIONS unless you can get money in hand!
I have never bought any parts sight unseen that's why I've never been ripped off.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
I still trust Autotrader, more than any other site, and find that the SERIOUS BUYER is more likely to shop here.
However, we can't get away from these scammers, losers, etc.

A couple of years ago I was selling my dad's Camry and within 12hrs of posting my ad, I got an e-mail and then a phone call, from what I think could of been two different people.

BE AWARE OF THIS SCAM: Both interested buyers happen to be looking for a car for their father and/or uncle (I never mentioned that it was my dad's car I was selling).
These guys (both of them) just happen to be working offshore, for some oil company, and wanted to do the transaction via Paypal, even without seeing the car in person, not to mention insistent...I told them both, politely, to take a flying leap off their oil rig. NO MONEY IN HAND, NO DEAL!

Lol! Yes I had that one a couple of years ago. He seemed legit but pushy. Couldn't come see it in person because he was on an oil rig.

He then sent me "proof" that he paid for the car in full by sending a screen shot of his Paypal payment to me. Then of course when I didn't see the Paypal payment in my account, he had the nerve to call ME a scammer saying he'd report me to Paypal. Lol!
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Philar299

Drives: 2021 Forte GT
lol yeah a bunch of fakes out there.

How did the name go from Ashley to sarah :P
Philar299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Rickerbucks
HP addict

Drives: 2 SS RS,
I am selling a bike... I received about 12 of these BS artists.

A text from a 281 area code about said "Hi. I'm interested in your bike. Anything that is not in the ad like service issues rust etc."

I figured I would save him the effort of sending me a reply so I replied... "Sorry .. I don't use paypal?"

Its disturbing that there are OBVIOUSLY folks that fall for this or else they would not keep doing it.

I had ONE guy send me the same email three times each time I kept telling him... "...wire transfer only".

Another one wanted to buy the bike and ship it to the US for when he was back off his cruise ship. It was ... "just what he was looking for."

Well you dumb ass.... you have a problem then... the BMW K1300R was never sold in the US and thus you are going to have a nightmare registering it.

The problem is that I get 12 wastes of time and only 3 or 4 legit inquiries.

Follow my 2013 One Lap Of America Blog here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ShaunAnd...page_new_likes

2014 Jeep SRT 8 - stock
2010 Challenger SRT 8 - stock
2007 Charger SRT8 Super Bee - not stock at all.
Rickerbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
I bought my car site-unseen over autotrader.ca so not all of us buyers are scammers.

Most of the communication was done over email at first but it became a must when the purchasing agreement became serious to have some communication over the phone.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote