Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Be aware 1LE owners & wanna be owners

A true story from a Chevy dealer employee and 1LE former owner I persoanlly know ...he had someone take over his lease because of this!

LONG STORY SHORT .THE 1LE HAD THE GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 THAT CANT GO OUT IN ANYTHING BELOW 20 or THEY WILL CRACK,THERE WAS ALL KIND OF ISSUES WITH THEM... NO TRACTION IN ANY WEATHER BELOW 50 IT WAS HORRIBLE .

THERE WAS ALL KIND OF HIDDEN BULLITINS I FOUND ON THEM AND STOP SALE ON ALL 1LE FOR 3-4 MONTHS IN THE WINTER , SO I WROTE GM ABOUT THE ISSUE AND HOW THE 1LE ALSO HAS NO TRACTION CONTROL EITHER WHICH MAKES THE CAR COMPLETELY USELESS IN 75 % OF THE TIME .... AND IN NJ A WASTE... GM WROTE BACK THAT SINCE I WORK FOR CHEVY I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT I WAS BUYING AND SO ON BASICALLY SLAMPPED ME IN THE FACE AFTER SPENDING 47,000 THAT WAS BS. THEN I TALKED TO THE SERVICE MANAGER AT OUR DEALER HE CALLED THE AREA REP AND THEY BLOW ME OFF FOR 2 MONTHS AT THE POINT I SAID I HAD ENOUGH I DONT NEED TO DRIVE A GM CAR AND THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE REALLY SUCKS AND GOT SOMEONE TO TAKE OVER THE LEASE... I STILL HAVE MY FJ CRUISER ....I WILL NEVER EVER BUY GM AGAIN AFTER THAT ISSUE AND THEN I FIND OUT WE HAVE A CAR IN OUR BODYSHOP WITH THE SAME TIRES AND A 1LE AND THE GIRL WASTED THE SIDE OF THE CAR AND CLAIMS SAME THING AS ME GM TOTALLY BLOWING HER OFF AS WELL.... CUSTOMER SERVICE IS BAD

Last edited by camguynj; 02-26-2014 at 09:55 PM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Most of us already know about the tires...at least those of us that have been around here on the forum and interested in the 1LE or ZL1.

And ALL of the SS's have traction control.

In any event, blame your dealer, not GM. I already knew this information, and my dealer informed me when I picked up the car.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
elarson5757
Obsessed and Loving It...

Drives: 2013 1LE-SS
All kinds of miss representation in this. Hell I was surprised as I drove mine with 700 hp today to move it and it was 19 degrees outside just how good it still was.
elarson5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
I agree with GM 100%.

The guy buys a specialty car and then complains about it? And the guy works for Chevrolet and bad mouths the company he works for? Listen...that sigh of relief are 1LE owners knowing that this fool is no longer one of them.

Did he complain to his PC manufacturer that his cap lock is stuck?
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
Even the PZeros have problems in cold weather. Everyone on this forum knows that driving summer only tires in the winter or in the snow is a combination for disaster if you aren't careful. Apparently that girl needed to invest some money in a winter beater or snow tires. I'm sure she learned her lesson the hard way this time. Bottom line it is the dealer's fault for not informing you that you would need to change tires not GMs.
OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
Isn't it pretty common knowledge that you need to switch out the SUMMER only tires in the winter time on even the regular SS and RS Camaros?

Now as far as the traction control...I find the salespeople are not knowledgeable when it comes to variations within models...This to me is a problem GM should try to work on. My salesperson didn't know half of what I did when I bought my Camaro.

I do think if someone can afford 47k for a vehicle, why not drop an extra 3-4k for a winter vehicle? Just my opinion there...I know not everyone wants two cars.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I'd say she did poor product research.

As for traction control, my 1LE sure has it, but all the TCS in the world won't stop a 1LE from spinning those Goodyears. I could put the back end around all I wanted below 60* with all the nannies active. Was only good in a straight line. The tires are simply too slick when cool/cold.

I knew going into the purchase of my 1LE that the Goodyears probably wouldn't suit my needs. I do not drag race or autocross, simply wanted a badass stock SS, so when I picked up a nail right at the sidewall over this past weekend I used it as an excuse to order four Michelin Pilot AS3's for my car. All season awesomeness coming my way.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #9
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfinkharley View Post
I agree with GM 100%.

The guy buys a specialty car and then complains about it? And the guy works for Chevrolet and bad mouths the company he works for? Listen...that sigh of relief are 1LE owners knowing that this fool is no longer one of them.

Did he complain to his PC manufacturer that his cap lock is stuck?

hidden bulletins? you mean the official TSBs about the tires? that were posted up here months ago? and the unofficial statements that have been around since winter of '12 when people started taking the first deliveries of 1LEs?

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #10
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Why are you shouting?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
You may not have heard but it is possible to buy different tires if you don't like the goodyears. Those tires make the 1LE what it is. GM has always been honest about how the tires are SUMMER ONLY and the possible cracking issues, etc. The owners manual that your dealer recommends you read has all this information in it. Not sure why they stopped production this winter and not the last. Maybe this winter was more harsh in Oshawa, I know it has been down south. This thread is confusing. Is it your car that had the issue? Do you still have a 1LE? PZEROS aren't too much better in the off season. The 1LE is a wild pony when it gets cold. I leave the nannys on in mine on the street reguardless and have lost traction very briefly. Enough to know what kind of car I'm dealing with.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Who writes like this?

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #13
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I CANNOT CONTROL THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE!!!
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #14
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS

Also, I want to make sure I understand this because I had to reread it a few times;

It's GM's fault your summer tires don't work in winter.

Did I interpret this correctly?
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote