Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
ATX211
Custom User Title

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
What made you go with the 5th Gen?

Are you a Camaro Die Hard, or a convert?

I am actually both. My first car was a 92 RS (Texas DPS car). It was a ragged out smog box, but I loved it. Pops had a 95 Z28 vert that he got totally bored with after about 20 minutes and subsequently dropped a blown 383 in, and Mom had a 96 SS.

For years since then I drove trucks, and in the absence of Camaros for so long, I kind of wrote them off when they came back out. Bought an 11' Charger R/T a couple of years ago after I had my kid because I wanted something quicker, not realizing how miserable the no option slushbox transmission in those are.

So for fun, I rented a 2SS L99 from Hertz when I was in Cali in September, and was blown away. What a machine these things are! Could not stop thinking about it after I got home, and my Charger felt worse than ever. So after 6 months of prodding, and since I have the greatest wife ever, I convinced her that I didn't want a new SS...I needed it. Car seat fits just fine back there.

So Saturday I picked up my new off the lot 2012 2SS/RS LS3. Happy guy right here. Good to be back behind the Bowtie.

So to ask again after that diatribe...Are you new to Camaro on the 5th Gen, or just a die hard Camaro owner?

ATX211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Never had a Camaro until the 5th Gen but as a teen loved the Camaro's. When I could afford one though I didn't really care the for the late 3rd Gen and basically none of the 4th. Went the Corvette route.

Then when I saw the concept 5th - love at first sight. Just had to wait because life got in a way a couple years. GM has set the bar really high for the next generation, but if the new Corvette is an indicator I think they'll raise it higher when the time comes.

And since above was your first post - Welcome to a great forum. Hope you enjoy your stay!
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Tell you the truth i always loved the look of the Camaros with the first Gen being my favorite and not liking the forth Gen at all (sorry i don't mean to insult anyone i just don't really care for it).

Well fast forward the timeline to Transformers and i fell in love with the new Camaro. It was set to come out right around the time i was supposed to get my license (I was 15 when the camaro started to hit the street). At that time i was supposed to get me dads 97 BMW 318i which was a great car that me and him did a lot of work on. One day he surprised me and said he had ordered a 10 2LT/RS Camaro just the way i had wanted. Now 3 and a half years later i still have my dream and love every moment of it.

Also welcome to Forum and the Camaro world.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
I also like body style of 5th generation over of last twenty years. I also wanted to wait few years and hope all the bugs were worked out before purchasing. I know several people who owned 4th generations as DD with 300,000 plus miles with minor problems.

Btw that nice SS like the Summit white
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Convert...I'd driven SUV's for the previous 10 years. My nephew liked the Camaro. My wife found the car, I drove it...DONE DEAL! It's the funniest car I've had, and I've had plenty of cars over the last 15-20 years. Ready to bump up to a ZL-1 for even more !
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Wasn't a "car" guy or a Camaro guy. I loved the looks of this car so I got it for that reason.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Transformers convinced me to be honest . . when the old camaro turns into the concept . .
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Convert. Awesome body style at a good price. Then you add the LS3... icing on the cake!!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Also, Wecome to Camaro5!!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
evergrn

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
Transformers convinced me to be honest . . when the old camaro turns into the concept . .
Best part of the movie. It still give me goosebumps.
That was also what convinced me go with Camaro, that and Jazz was no longer being made.
evergrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Never had a Camaro till now but have been a die-hard fan my whole life. I always wanted a Camaro but the timing was never really right till the 5th gen and now I'm a very happy camper
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
When I was a teenager, I almost bought a '69 Camaro (yellow with black stripes, but 6-cyliner) for my first car. The guy wanted too much for it. Fast forward a couple of years, my father (a car salesman for a Chevy dealership) took me and my friend for a ride in a dealer IROC-Z. When I realized that the speedometer was reading close to 130MPH (I know, not father-of-the-year), I was hooked. I bought my first Camaro a few years later, a 1992 Camaro RS Heritage edition (white with red stripes). Unfortunately I was an impulsive kid. I drove past the dealer, saw it, and then bought it based on looks alone without test driving it. It wasn't until I popped in the Camaro cassette tape (which I still have, btw) on the way home that I realized it only had like 170 horsepower (so much for my dreams of beating Mustang GTs). Boy was I disappointed! I loved the car though. When they changed the body style, I was disgusted. Then they discontinued the Camaro. That was tragic, and my hopes of buying another Camaro someday vanished....until now! I test-drove a ’69 Camaro convertible from a local dealer. I loved the car, especially the color scheme (black with white rally stripes), but didn’t love the price ($45K) and the owner was a douche, so I decided if I was going to spend that kind of money, I would get a new one. So far, no regrets….although I still have my eyes open for a nice ’69.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Kerr

Drives: 67 vette
Yes,

68 SS, 93 Z28, 96 SS, 99 SS, in the past... we ended up with the 5th gen because a C6 was to small and had no rear seats... and well they gave us a ton of money for the trade in which was a pos bmw 650 convert..

I kinda wish we had held out and tried the ZL-1 but that just a LOT of cash for a camaro in my opinion..
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
I had a number of V8 Chevys and Olds in the 70's. '69s-'72s. No Camaros though.

I had an '84 Camaro for about three months until a courier ran into me and totaled it.

Then I had other cars for decades.

In 2011 I was ready for a new car. I pre-ordered a Launch Edition Turbo VW Beetle. According to the deal, I was not bound to the purchase. I saw one of the new Beetles in person, was disappointed, walked across the street and bought my 45th.

(VWs and the 5th Gen Camaro were on my short list. I had test drove a bunch of each. I still really like VWs, but currently they are making them all look like Toyotas.)

My wife was thrilled with my decision.