Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #15
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I actually find the car to track better than the WS6 did, even with the wider front rubber. Of course, that car had about 200K on it and was slap worn out. Our roads in the south lead a less weather impacted life than the roads in the north, but I do know what you are saying about the groves in roads and wide tires. One final thought, if it is continually pulling one direction or the other, take a look at the tire pressure.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
To help mitigate some of the tramlining, you can try increasing the air pressure in your tires. This will help stiffen the tires up and prevent them from "grooving" into tracks/ruts in the road as much. I live not far outside of the Bronx and the roads around here are just abysmal, inflating all of my vehicles tires to max inflation PSI helps out in many ways.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Look up "tramlining" wide performance tires will enhance this effect.

Just think of it as the car telling you it wants to play! Like an excited dog tugging on a leash to run. Better keep a tight hold and let her loose every now and then!
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Wow a lot of feedback, Thanks everyone..
I just went on a two hour trip to a performance shop out here (highway roads)and the ride was spectacular.
I literally let go of the wheel for like two whole minutes just to see how the alignment was and it stayed incredibly straight, it was amazing!
I'm a firm believer now that it's the tires and type of roads (in town /choppy ones) and cold temperatures that were leading to the things I was seeing upon initial in town short drives. When I actually drove it longer then just going to the inspection shop the car was an absolute dream to drive..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
1BLWN/LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Yup same here, car is all over the road. people probably think I'm crazy. Ive noticed that its worse in colder temps (below 50) and that the electric power steering tends to assist in tire pull.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Boydr12

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLWN/LE View Post
Does anyone else find the steering of a 1LE a little much to keep straight?
It seems when I'm on normal roads I have to constantly grip the steering wheel like I'm fighting to stay going straight. It seems like the car kind of just wants to veer off in either direction if I'm not firmly grasping the wheel.
My car has roughly 3400 miles on it and has never been hit or anything.
I don't know if this is normal characteristics of the good years tires just warming up or just it's natural track oriented characteristics cause it does seem to be less noticeable after driving for some time.
All's I know my daily driver is a 2013 Nissan frontier and I don't have to fight not even a little to keep that thing straight like I feel I have to with the 1LE .

I think I'm having trouble putting into words what I'm really meaning here but I would love to know if anyone else feels the steering in these cars is a bit more challenging then say an everyday car.. Also when I had my 2012 SS L99 I didn't feel this was present like I do in this car...

Thanks for your feedback..
Have you checked to see if it is out of alignment? Mine got out of alignment naturally and had to be realigned
Boydr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #21
schecter7

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
I bet it's caused by the tires. I had a 2010 SS which probably had the same pirelli tires as your '12 SS. When I switched to 1LE, that's the first thing I noticed - it takes a lot more steering effort to keep it straight. However, things get better as these tires warm up. You'll get used to it.
schecter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #22
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by schecter7 View Post
I bet it's caused by the tires. I had a 2010 SS which probably had the same pirelli tires as your '12 SS. When I switched to 1LE, that's the first thing I noticed - it takes a lot more steering effort to keep it straight. However, things get better as these tires warm up. You'll get used to it.
Couldn't agree more now. .thank you!
+1

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #23
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydr12 View Post
Have you checked to see if it is out of alignment? Mine got out of alignment naturally and had to be realigned
Actually on the way out to the performance shop today (2 hour drive on the highway ) the car was amazing.
I let the wheel go for at least two minutes straight and the car went straight as an arrow.. I definitely don't think I have an alignment issue after doing this..

I realize now it was just the crappy in town roads and the tires being overly cold, not driving it long enough to warm it up...

Old 04-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #24
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLWN/LE View Post
Does anyone else find the steering of a 1LE a little much to keep straight?
It seems when I'm on normal roads I have to constantly grip the steering wheel like I'm fighting to stay going straight. It seems like the car kind of just wants to veer off in either direction if I'm not firmly grasping the wheel.
My car has roughly 3400 miles on it and has never been hit or anything.
I don't know if this is normal characteristics of the good years tires just warming up or just it's natural track oriented characteristics cause it does seem to be less noticeable after driving for some time.
All's I know my daily driver is a 2013 Nissan frontier and I don't have to fight not even a little to keep that thing straight like I feel I have to with the 1LE .

I think I'm having trouble putting into words what I'm really meaning here but I would love to know if anyone else feels the steering in these cars is a bit more challenging then say an everyday car.. Also when I had my 2012 SS L99 I didn't feel this was present like I do in this car...

Thanks for your feedback..
Hi 1B,

I have a question for you. Do you notice this only on the highway, or perhaps only on certain highways?

I own a 1LE and noticed the same problem, but only when I drove it on certain parts of highway 40 here in Montreal which is basically, has some really crappy parts. The mechanic told me that in the summer, heavy trucks are wearing tire groves into the soft pavement, and that the weird control problem I feel is the my car slipping in and out of these grooves. This sounds like bullshit to me so I'm interested in knowing your experience and what you find out.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Grooved roads with impressions from large trucks will make your vehicle do weird things from a tracking perspective, especially considering you have 10 inch wide tires on the front. If you've never owned a performance car before with serious rubber on it, then you may think something is wrong with your car. There isn't, you're overthinking it.

As to the above, you answered your own question. Only when driving on certain parts of the highway do you experience this. Your car doesn't magically change, its the road, especially here in northern climates we have the worst roads for driving a performance car on. Wait until you hit that giant pothole.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #26
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
Hi 1B,

I have a question for you. Do you notice this only on the highway, or perhaps only on certain highways?

I own a 1LE and noticed the same problem, but only when I drove it on certain parts of highway 40 here in Montreal which is basically, has some really crappy parts. The mechanic told me that in the summer, heavy trucks are wearing tire groves into the soft pavement, and that the weird control problem I feel is the my car slipping in and out of these grooves. This sounds like bullshit to me so I'm interested in knowing your experience and what you find out.
Hey man!
Yeah I find that I only notice it on initial drives, like when I first get her going in the morning and it's cold out. Once the tires are warmed I don't feel it at all anymore. It 's only on in town crappy city roads. Never on the highways, are highways here tend to be very smooth .

Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Does the 1LE standard alignment from the dealer/GM have negative toe compared to the standard SS? Does anyone here do track favorable 1LE alignment mods? I have not tried this.

I think at least part of that stock wandering has to do with the SS front bushings which are a little soft and loose IMO, even in the 1LE. And the very loose rear bushing compliance can add to this effect also IMO.

I have a set of Pedders HD Radius Rod inserts I pulled off my old SS and put them on my 1LE. This improved my 1LE tracking from my seat of the pants observations, but not so much to be nervous. On my old SS I never did all recommended bushings in the front, but did them all on the back with polys. My old SS felt tighter overall than my 1LE. But the 1LE feels like a better compromise and is quieter. To me more BMW like.

Wheelhop is a big problem sometimes even though I have installed BMR Trailing Arms and outer TA bushings. Might add Toe rods next even though the 1LE/ZL1 rods were deemed acceptable by Justice Pete. He did have a good point about how aftermarket toe rods and other aftermarket suspension braces and parts can cause additional damage to the car in the event of an accident or hitting a huge pothole. But when we start modding we take risks.

Sorry if I digressed.

I really like the OEM ZL1/1LE rear toe links. They have spherical bushings, which totally eliminate deflection. At the same time they don't restrict the suspension moving up and down. Rubber and poly bushing only allow the suspension to move up or down through stretch until they completely bind. Stick with your OEM toe links.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #28
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Once I put the 285 up front and the 305 in the rear I noticed this happening more.

Just have to get used it and be on alert when you drive. The tires will follow any bumps or tracks on the road.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote