Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #43
Visago

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Royal Purple full synthetic here...every 7,000 miles with a high mileage premium oil filter. Believe the filter is Mobil-1.
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #44
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
I posted something earlier, and in the interest of fairness I would like to tell you how many miles I have on my car.

I bought it on 04/29/2011, and driving 3 miles home from work today (01/16/2014) it hit 5,790 miles.

So if I waited for 5k miles, I would only have had ONE oil change so far. I change it every April, which will make April of 2014 my Third Oil Change.

I do use Synthetic, and believe it or not, my Camaro is my daily driver (it's just that work is only 3 miles away).

I have enjoyed reading just about every post on this topic though, I have wondered about a lot of the things being discusses. Thank you all for your input.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #45
delta6
USN-MSC

Drives: 2012 Camaro TF3 #427
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post
I posted something earlier, and in the interest of fairness I would like to tell you how many miles I have on my car.

I bought it on 04/29/2011, and driving 3 miles home from work today (01/16/2014) it hit 5,790 miles.

So if I waited for 5k miles, I would only have had ONE oil change so far. I change it every April, which will make April of 2014 my Third Oil Change.

I do use Synthetic, and believe it or not, my Camaro is my daily driver (it's just that work is only 3 miles away).

I have enjoyed reading just about every post on this topic though, I have wondered about a lot of the things being discusses. Thank you all for your input.
that's why it's ideal that if you don't reach 3-5k in a year, change your oil at least once a year...twice would be nice.

delta6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #46
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
One thing to remember is that just because the oil is still good doesn't mean you shouldn't still check it every so often between changes. All engines consume a little oil. Some more than others. So although the newer oils are capable of last far longer you can still run dangerously low if you don't keep an eye on it and top it off should it need it.

Personally I change it every 2,500 miles. I'd rather keep fresh oil in it then save a few bucks. I also prefer Royal Purple but there are many other high quality synthetics.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #47
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
If you using Mobile one every 5K miles should be fine unless you driving the car really hard.
On my Toyota P/U I have 170k miles and change the oil every 5-6k.
Never had ANY! issues with engine.
I would recommend changing your differential and transmission fluid as well on a regular basis.
That's like saying I ALWAYS fill up with gas when my gauge gets to a quarter tank and i've NEVER run out of gas. I guess no one should let their gas gauge get less than a quarter tank. You've never had issue because you're changing your oil WELL within the lifespan of the oil you're using. I'd bet you still wouldn't have had an issue if you had increased that to 7.5-10k miles between changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
my oil Amsoil signature series is rated for 25,000 miles Amsoil filter 15,000. or one year. I change it every year. I put 6k on it this year. but car is new so its been changed 3 times in the 1st 1500
This.

Mobile 1 along with most, if not all good synthetics, is good for well over 10k miles. That doesn't mean it should be standard that everyone change their oil every 10k miles, but it does tell you that your engine won't seize up if you go 3001 miles on your synthetic oil. It's HIGHLY dependent on how you drive and what mods you have. If you're drag or road racing your car A LOT, you'll want to change your oil a lot more often. If you're DD'ing, you're good for 7.5k+. Anything sooner than that and you're just throwing money in the Walmart oil barrel. It amazes me how people will say that todays cars are technologically superior to cars from the 60's and 70's, yet they refuse to understand how oils can be.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #48
HollyVenus
The girl with the 2 Danes

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
I was just told by mine every 5K they use full synthetics now in these.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #49
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
I've even heard that changing oil too frequently can actually be bad for your engine. I wish I could remember the reason I was told this though.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #50
Titan

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
In all my cars I change the oil after the first thousand miles. This is simply for peace of mind. After that it depends on the vehicle. My company car gets full synthetic every 10,000 miles. My Silverado's get an oil change at every 5,000 Miles and My Camaro gets one every 3,000 miles. The truck and Camaro done more frequently in terms of mileage for two reasons, one is because they are mine and I like to take care of my stuff and the second reason is for maintenance records. I like to get top dollar for my cars when I sell them and people often are more willing to pay that when you can show them you have documented your efforts to take good care of your vehicle. My company car is driven VERY hard and very often it stands up fine to the 10K mile maintenance schedule that is set forth by my employer. I am sure my cars would stand up fine to that schedule, but I would not want to see that interval if I was buying a car.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #51
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
When i had turbo cars i did full synthetic oil changes every 3k. with my camaro i have 3 more free oil changes left but i let them do it every 4-5k miles and they use a synthetic blend.
After my free oil changes are up ill keep changing it myself every 4-5k miles.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #52
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruckenbrod View Post
This is the first car that I have owned that tells me what % life my oil is at. I just hit 3000 miles on my car and it is still showing greater than 40% oil life.

Here's the question: Do you change your oil based on what the car is telling you % wise or just go by the mileage, IE every 3k, 5k, etc. miles?
JTruckerbrod,

In both my GM cars I intend to go by what the OLM tells me unless one year go without an oil change. The way yours looks like yous will give you your indication to change oil at around 6K. For myself that's fine as these days oil is expensive especially if one decides to use synthetic version instead of typical dino. I'd just continue to wait for another 3K and observe carefully when the OLM tells you it's time as I do.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #53
CamaroRyan

Drives: 11' Camaro LS (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
I usually change my around 20% which is around 4500 miles for me. GM engineered a complex algorithm that takes into account many factors such as how quickly you accelerate and so on to determine oil life, so I use that instead of the "Come waste your money every 3k miles!"
I personally dont beleave in the "oil life" %

It ALWAYS reaches 9-10% when I hit the 5K mark.

Personally i do a full synthetic and filter change every 5K.
CamaroRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #54
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
RP and K&N filter every 5K.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #55
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
since we are on oil talk how is RP for the LLT?
when it comes to RP its like 50/50. some hate it and others love it.... they say it breaks down a lot faster than other brands so you have to change it early(3k).
Old 01-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #56
SuzanneClerkin

Drives: Camaro
Hi JTruckenBrod, you should change your engine oil based on the oil life percentage indicator. - The Pennzoil Team
SuzanneClerkin is offline   Reply With Quote