Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #15
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Every fing scratch shows!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #16
Mongo36

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I have owned my last black vehicle, not the camaro she's red. I don't mind washing every week, but black means almost every day doing something to the exterior. Black looks the best when clean but it is only clean for about 20 minutes before needing something.
Mongo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
As everyone is mentioning, giving a damn about what your black paint looks like is a full-time job, there's no doubt about it. My last 3 vehicles (GTO, TBSS, and current Silverado) were all black, so I feel your pain.

Your wash technique is the most important part in properly maintaining your car's finish. If your process is bad, then your paint will be bad, as you probably know.

The key is to go through the steps to stop/slow/delay the rate at which swirls will re-appear. A 2-bucket wash with quality material is the key here.

Also, pass on the cover unless it's for LONG term storage (may years, not days/months.) What you heard is correct, you'll end up causing much more damage dragging the cover on/off that you will letting the car get dusty/dirty and cleaning it off properly.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #18
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
I've had a few black cars 2 Camaros in fact), and still have one, my Trailblazer (had it for 10 years). When I was going to buy my Camaro I decided I was not going to get black (even though they had a great price on a used one - it was very tempting). They are just too much work! My truck looks amazing after I detail it, it really does. Even though it's garaged the very next day I can see the dust on the paint :(. Total pain in the a$$.

Personally I went with a SIM. I wanted something that would be easy to keep clean. Sometimes I miss that deep reflection black offers but I sure as heck don't miss all the time I would need to be spending on keeping it clean.....garaged or not.

Just really depends on your desires and lifestyle. Probably also where you live lots of rain or lots of clear blue days). So, how are you leaning on the decision?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I have two Black vehicles presently, as a daily driver Black will keep you busy if you care about how the car looks. My SS is garaged and not daily driven and still is a lot of work. If the car was silver or white I would spent a lot less time keeping it clean, long story short if you like detailing your vehicles get Black.
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #20
CamaroRyan

Drives: 11' Camaro LS (Black)
DD, Black Camaro Here....

When clean nothing beats it....

I will say its a pain, and as much as i hate to say it I get lazy at times and it ends up looking.. well dirty.
CamaroRyan is offline   Reply With Quote