Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM   #15
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paudea4 View Post
Called today and made a complaint
Thank You paudea4
Anybody else Call ? Or are you just flapping gums or keyboards in this case ?
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #16
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
Thank You paudea4
Anybody else Call ? Or are you just flapping gums or keyboards in this case ?

I called today and got a case number. The GM Customer Service girl seemed a bit clueless as to what I was trying to achieve but I think I got through to her.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:44 PM   #17
L2SS455

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
I called today and got a case number. The GM Customer Service girl seemed a bit clueless as to what I was trying to achieve but I think I got through to her.
Thank You, so much bandier. We need everyone in the 6th Gen. community to do the same.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:52 PM   #18
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post

They passed my call around to 3 people in different departments before my call was dropped and I gave up. Maybe if someone can tell me the magic words to say to get me to the right person I'll give it another shot, but until then I'm not wasting another 20 minutes on hold.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:30 PM   #19
L2SS455

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
They passed my call around to 3 people in different departments before my call was dropped and I gave up. Maybe if someone can tell me the magic words to say to get me to the right person I'll give it another shot, but until then I'm not wasting another 20 minutes on hold.
Thanks tenargo57. When I called the lady, she was super nice. She took down the concern that the OBD system for 6th Gen. Camaro's needs an security update ASAP, to prevent unwarranted key cloning. I also told her GM' competitor JLR had the same issue with their vehicles from 2016 on and they fixed it for their customers Free of charge with an security update. And thefts went way down thereafter. Just ask them to write it up and send the request on to the powers that be. This s### is going tiktoc ,you won't be able to leave your Camaro outside unattended.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:24 PM   #20
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
We need to ban TikToc. All of the Chinese criminals will know where all of the Camaros and Hellcats are.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:45 AM   #21
L2SS455

Wish GM would do what JLR did.
Jaguar Land Rover:
BCM hack technology
As relay car thefts have waned, body control module (BCM) hacking cases have risen to take their place. Once a car has been unlocked, thieves are plugging a BCM hacking device. into the on-board diagnostics (OBDII) port then programming a key ID into the body controller to start the vehicle.

Overcame it with a body module control software update. There’s now a form of customer authorization required before key programming is allowed to take place.

JLR has updated its vehicle keys and remote security systems with additional locking capabilities to curb opportunistic thefts when the car is particularly vulnerable.

Free update only takes 20 minutes at a dealer.

Going back to 2016 model year, they’re cars that are coming up to 10 years old and have been out of warranty for six and seven years. It’s a huge group of cars to go over, but shows the focus that their putting into making their cars resilient for their customers.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:18 AM   #22
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
The methodology that works the best, is one that makes the consequence of this action far worse than the reward. It’s not GM’s or any other manufacturer’s problem that we are devolving as a society.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:08 AM   #23
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
The methodology that works the best, is one that makes the consequence of this action far worse than the reward. It’s not GM’s or any other manufacturer’s problem that we are devolving as a society.
I agree with this. Blaming those that suffer these intrusions for not using "adequate security" when the very definition of adequate is like shifting sand is very counterproductive. Living in a society where you can leave your car or your house open or have no fences is way superior to one where you have to look behind your shoulder and are helpless despite locking yourself and your property down as if it was you who lived in a prison. It is somewhat ironic and sad that places like Dubai are so far ahead of vast swaths of the US in that respect.

We shouldn't have to install multiple defeat devices and degrade our ownership experience, and especially not with a purpose of "steering" these criminals towards someone else's vehicle, which is also very counterproductive (and selfish, and shortsighted etc.). Along the same lines, while GM could retroactively update software or do a recall to install more security hardware, they shouldn't have to either.

A combination of simple and enforceable laws, minimized and uncomplicated legal processes coupled with strong deterrents is the only one that works. Best of all, this is completely achievable.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:22 AM   #24
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Looks like Hyundai/Kia did something.

What bothers me is GM's OBD2 vulnerabilities could have been anticipated since everything is working exactly as intended. Nobody found a magic point to hold a USB cable tip or anything through experimentation.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:10 AM   #25
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I agree with this. Blaming those that suffer these intrusions for not using "adequate security" when the very definition of adequate is like shifting sand is very counterproductive. Living in a society where you can leave your car or your house open or have no fences is way superior to one where you have to look behind your shoulder and are helpless despite locking yourself and your property down as if it was you who lived in a prison. It is somewhat ironic and sad that places like Dubai are so far ahead of vast swaths of the US in that respect.

We shouldn't have to install multiple defeat devices and degrade our ownership experience, and especially not with a purpose of "steering" these criminals towards someone else's vehicle, which is also very counterproductive (and selfish, and shortsighted etc.). Along the same lines, while GM could retroactively update software or do a recall to install more security hardware, they shouldn't have to either.

A combination of simple and enforceable laws, minimized and uncomplicated legal processes coupled with strong deterrents is the only one that works. Best of all, this is completely achievable.
You nailed it…..
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:25 AM   #26
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

Too many bleeding aortic valves, not enough cardio thoracic surgeons.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:04 PM   #27

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Interesting all this data collection by GM. Curious though about the connection between all the auto thefts and GMs ability to collect elaborate data. That is, does the data collection stop as soon as the car is stolen? Why can't the data be used to trace the car's movements and locations as soon as it is stolen? On-Star claims to be able to do this, but yet it seems the thieves are able to defeat the tracking, which should be a function of data collection.

So many threads and ideas about how to defeat the On-Star and the data collection by GM, yet owners seem to be struggling to do this, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the car thieves.

Why can't this data collection system be used to track down stolen cars? So many want to end unwanted data collection and the loss of personal privacy, yet ironically the only ones capable of doing this are car thieves....lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:24 PM   #28
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Interesting all this data collection by GM. Curious though about the connection between all the auto thefts and GMs ability to collect elaborate data. That is, does the data collection stop as soon as the car is stolen? Why can't the data be used to trace the car's movements and locations as soon as it is stolen? On-Star claims to be able to do this, but yet it seems the thieves are able to defeat the tracking, which should be a function of data collection.

So many threads and ideas about how to defeat the On-Star and the data collection by GM, yet owners seem to be struggling to do this, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the car thieves.

Why can't this data collection system be used to track down stolen cars? So many want to end unwanted data collection and the loss of personal privacy, yet ironically the only ones capable of doing this are car thieves....lol
It is used to track down stolen cars. Sometimes.

But then we rely on our uniformed public servants to go track the vehicles down for us. Vehicle theft is a lower priority than violent crime and other types of theft.

Police aren't paid very well. Folks aren't willing to foot the additional tax bill to seriously bolster department resources and add 200,300% more officers or fund vehicle theft units fully.

Let's say they catch the crook who stole your car. Then what? Put them in prison, pay all their food, housing, and medical expenses? And when you let them out, they go back to stealing?

Arpad might be on to something, although we elected not to have an authoritarian government, and our police aren't that crooked. There's all kinds of corruption in the UAE, you just have to be someone in order for authorities to look the other way.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote