Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Fury

Drives: 2016 Chevy camaro
Car been at the dealership for a month for paint. Normal?

Just like the title says. I was wondering if it is normal for a dealership to take a month to paint a car. My car had paint defects. Some panels were missing paint or for example the roof edges had thin paint where the color was a light brown Instead of black. I've been waiting a month and still no news as to when it will be done. Planning on calling tomorrow. But wanted to know if this is a normal wait time. As I don't want to be that "guy" who just keep bugging them. Thanks!
Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
I've heard of cars taking into a third week for painting, but a month does seem long. However, the key is that they are good and meticulous at what they do. If it takes 4-5 weeks, but comes out fantastic, then I would be happy still. lol If it comes back to you anything less than excellent, then I would take issue with the length of time it took as well. That's how I would handle it.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
Gunsmokez

Drives: 1LE
No, it does not take that long. Few hours for R+I maybe 2 hours , Then prep max 4 to 6 hours. Paint 1.5.
Then give say 1 hour to wet sand and quick polish of dust spots and maybe a run. Then give it to wash bay dude, 10 minute.
So , 1 month? lol your getting screwed

This is the time it actual time, they will probably pay the shop to get this done. Now, flat rate guy working it, will prep that vehicle in 2 hours. That car would be done in 1 day max. So no idea why i would take another 29 days lol of being backed up? sounds like BS.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Anytime a large job is involved, in the dealers ran, the serv advisor was required to email/call the customer Every Monday morning and give a status update. That's what good CSI is all about.....

And no one here can tell you if a month is too long or too short, it always involves the other jobs that are in that department at the time. What was the estimate they gave you at the outset?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Id call call chevy customer relations. if your cars been in the shop for 30 days they can pay your car payment
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
OMEN

Drives: Camaro SS
ummm seems fishy
Middle East, Oman
1LE front splitter, ZL1 Corsa Xtreme quad tips, x pipe, ZL1 Rear Diffuser, 1/LE Rear Emblems
CoCo 4 Life
OMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:37 AM   #7
Fury

The problem is I never got an estimate. And they are not painting the whole car. Just parts of it. I don't get call every Monday also. I have to text my advisor or even call him. The last time I heard they had the cart keen apart. But hasn't paint it due to the fact that they are waiting for gm to give them the funding. Like why did you keep my car for so long if your not going to paint it soon. They gave me a camaro as a rental. But it's not the same. I probably won't be reimburse for my car payment.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:13 AM   #8
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
A lot of dealerships contract the work out to regular body shops. Had a friend who did cars for Audi and Mercedes. He received a few cars a week and was always slammed and in a time crunch.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #9
Fury

Yeah. That's why I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm pretty considerate to people and how they do there job. After all everyone just trying to make a living. That's why I asked if this wait time is normal. Since I have been really patient with them. Trying to see what my next step should be. And how I should approach this.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:23 AM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I would inspect it real close, do all the body panels match, orange peel. I would ask to see the car, I bet they have not touched it yet.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:36 AM   #11
Gunsmokez

Drives: 1LE
Still fishy as hell, Even if the dealership subcontracted it out (very good chance). The body shop owner would want to keep the business of the dealership. Even though they pay the shop peanuts.

So, it essence if the dealership wanted it done. The paint shop will get it done period. There is no other reason.

Something else is holding up the delay, and I would seriously go find out wtf is going on. Find out where they are taking it too, and go to that shop take a look talk to that manager and see why the hell it is taking so long.

Also, never ever let your car sit in a auto body shop longer then it needs to. Trust me!

Overspray,scratches,dents,bird shit from outside, broken into, More dust inside, interior damage. Can list so much more. If they have done the R+I , then the car is sitting in the shop and depending on how large it is, which i doubt. It will be next or near bodymen , sanding grinding, and or near prep guys painting . So, yes get the car out asap.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Cal them or visit them. Hear their story. Ask for an estimated completion date since this apparently wasn't stated before. Tell them you want regular updates and agree to a day of the week they will do so. If they farmed it out (my local Chevy dealer does that), ask them who it went to. Visit them if that curious.

I had some asshat do a hit and run in a local Safeway parking lot. Caved in my passenger real quarter panel. Took it to my Chevy dealer (Suburban Chevy in Sandy OR - same place as the Trunk Monkey parts), they don't have a body shop. So I took it to their preferred body shop. Took two weeks and it came out perfect. Like Glen said, they gave me a call (every Friday) with progress and estimation of work to be completed. There was an issue where they ordered a side marker lens, the wrong part came in. They called me to tell me, and gave me the option to get my car back without the cracked one replaced yet, or they will keep it locked inside until the replacement came. I picked up my car, two days later they called and said to come in as the replacement and correct part was in. Took them 10 minutes to swap it out. And I am a very satisfied customer of theirs.

It's all about customer service and workmanship.

Last edited by BrianL; 08-15-2017 at 09:57 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #13
Camarofan93

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS & 2018 ZL1 1LE
they're probably out joyriding your car.
Camarofan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmokez View Post
No, it does not take that long. Few hours for R+I maybe 2 hours , Then prep max 4 to 6 hours. Paint 1.5.
Then give say 1 hour to wet sand and quick polish of dust spots and maybe a run. Then give it to wash bay dude, 10 minute.
So , 1 month? lol your getting screwed

This is the time it actual time, they will probably pay the shop to get this done. Now, flat rate guy working it, will prep that vehicle in 2 hours. That car would be done in 1 day max. So no idea why i would take another 29 days lol of being backed up? sounds like BS.
You are so far off on your times. Unless that is per panel.

To the OP, 30 days is close giver or take.
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote