Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
amairmech

Drives: Camaro RS
Jack Points loud popping sound

So i did my first oil change and as i lifted the car with my floor jack at the front jack point pinch weld i heard a loud popping noise. Lowered the car, nothing wrong. So lifted again and same thing. proceeded to place the jack stand in the second forward pinch weld area and again the popping noise. Same exact noise on the opposite side of the car too. After i was done and car was back on the ground i didnt see anything wrong. the welds look like new. Is this normal?? I lifted the car exactly like i was supposed to..??
amairmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
ihatecats78

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by amairmech View Post
So i did my first oil change and as i lifted the car with my floor jack at the front jack point pinch weld i heard a loud popping noise. Lowered the car, nothing wrong. So lifted again and same thing. proceeded to place the jack stand in the second forward pinch weld area and again the popping noise. Same exact noise on the opposite side of the car too. After i was done and car was back on the ground i didnt see anything wrong. the welds look like new. Is this normal?? I lifted the car exactly like i was supposed to..??
Same here.. I'm assuming it was the jack shifting on the pinch weld. I'm curious too.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
NightSkyCode
Owned gen 4, 5 and 6

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Popping sound? Pinch weld? Not a good combo... good luck
Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyCode View Post
Popping sound? Pinch weld? Not a good combo... good luck
That's what I was thinking........ Have never had that happen to me.....yet.....
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
amairmech

Just strange that it was on both sides and nothing visibly wrong. Is this car frame/unibody weak or something? I thought it was even better than the 5th gen...
Old 08-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
amairmech

Those were the exact points i used, Thanks for the post. Maybe some settling since it was the first time i lifted it...
Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
argus

Drives: 18 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT Duramax
Just lifted the Camaro last weekend for it's first oil change at 1300-ish miles. I don't recall any popping noises. My pickup will creak and pop a bit when I lift it, though. I used this rubber jack pad to lift the Camaro. Worked great.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
amairmech

Thanks, i'm going to pick a set of those up from amazon. I think its worth the money to have piece of mind.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I wonder if you caught the edge of your molding. The plastic is popping. I use a ZL1 add on and a hockey puck to make sure the jack does not hit the molding.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Baker

Drives: 2010 camaro RS,2017 camaro 1Le
I've noticed if I jack it up right after driving them creaks and pops but not if I let it sit all night but that could be coincidence.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Does your jack have rollers front and rear and was it able to properly re-align itself with the lift point as the car went up? It could be binding on the lifting points causing slight shifting. Look on the surface you were lifting from and see if you notice any abrasions that weren't there before.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
amairmech

The jack does roll. The loudest noise came when i lowered it on the jackstands. I made sure i didnt catch the molding. Just looked and the paint is missing on the sharp edge of the pinch weld and my jackstands are pretty rough at the top mating area.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Well at least you have your answer.

I just got a new jack, stands, am making pinch weld pucks and have rubber caps for my stands...

Have been digging through a lot of these threads before we lift mine for the first time.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
On the lifting blocks everyone is using, does the block support from the bottom of the pinch weld, or upper base?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attach...1&d=1502811930
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LIFTING POINTS.pdf (82.6 KB, 171 views)

E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote