Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
VASTREETRACER

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE on order
Koni shocks vs Megan Coil overs

First I don't know much about suspension stuff so I have some questions before I decide weather or not to buy the Koni orange shocks (425.00 from BMR) or the Megan coilovers (670.00 from ohio speed). My car is lowered 1.4 in the front and 1.5 in the rear using phastek springs. Its time for me to change shocks as my stock shocks are worn out and the ride is really harsh. I don't auto cross my car but do like to "drive" my car on some pretty curvy roads. I do drag race but for the most part its only about 2-3 times a year and the rest of the time I just cruise around in it. Im looking for a setup that will give me the best possible ride but also handle well on curvy roads. Oh and I have a budget around 700.00

What are your thoughts

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
azrickster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM 6M #38916
I have the Hotchkis Sport Suspension with their competition sways (much larger rear) and strut tower brace. I also have OEM size Nitto's on all four corners. My ride quality was harsh and bouncy at just shy of 55K miles. I thought about going with coil overs, but already invested funds in the springs.

I wanted shocks and struts that were made for the lower ride height. Was waiting for the KONI yellow's, but wasn't confident they would come out anytime soon. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of KONI STR.T (orange) and installed them over the weekend. Got the set from Race Consulting Agency (best price I could find). I also replaced the strut mounts since my Camaro was built in August 2009 and had the older style mounts. I didn't have any clunking noises, but didn't want to take any chances.

My Camaro's ride quality is now restored and it handles great! I've also heard good things about installing the 1LE shocks and struts too.

Hope your install goes equally well.
Rick
azrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I got a complete suspension upgrade from BMR and glad I did. My car is night and day diferent now. I got the Koni orange. Got everything installed and took it to a track the very next day and WOW. The handling is completely different, but the ride hasnt changed a bit. It feels almost the exact way it did before all the upgrades. Don't know about the coil overs since I dont have them, but the Koni orange i am happy with. My car is lowered 1.4 all around, ao you're good. Unless you start riding bigger tires that is. T.C. at BMR helpd me through the entire process and I plan on getting some more goodies here real soon. As soon as I figure out which brakes I want.
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
VASTREETRACER

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE on order
Sweet thanks. Rick im assuming your rear shock mounts? I do have a clunky noise in mine was hoping it was just the worn shocks. Sounds like Koni Orange it will be.

Thanks again
Mark
Old 03-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
azrickster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM 6M #38916
I only replaced the front mounts and rubber insulators. The rear mounts and insulators were in great shape, so they were reused.
Have fun!
azrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
I know this is quite old, buuuuut. Any other user can chime in on the Koni Yellows or Megan EZ? Was originally going with the Megan’s, but I like my BMR 1.4 drop on my 1LE suspension.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote