Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #29
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
I'll tell you my situation because frankly, you are in the exact same boat as me.

I was getting ready to literally trade my V6 for a V8.

I thought to myself: What do I want in a car?

For one, I grew SO attached to the Synergy Green color to the point that I wanted a Synergy GReen 8. But I would have settled for a black one...

Thing is, I really just wanted to keep up with the V8's. I also wanted the sound of a V8.

So after looking at the pros and cons. I decided that I would
1) Try and see what I could do to keep up with the v8's.
2) Get it to sound like a V8
3) See how much I could save in the process

So I solved 1) By getting the following: CAI intake, Ported Throttle body, Black Ice-olator, Plenum Spacer, Ported INtake Manifold, BBK long tube headers/Hi Flow Cats, MRT 1, and trifecta tune. But the kicker was I was MAYBE going to keep up with stock v8's with this setup.... So what did I do? Threw a freaking 150 hp shot of Nitrous in the baby

I solved 2) By literally getting the Ghost Cam with Trifecta on aggressive and Of course, the exhaust done. If you don't think it sounds like a V8... I have 4 buddies who have v8 camaro's and everyone of them admitted mine sounded better... I also have driven next to a couple supercharged v8's where they said "That is the best sounding v8 camaro in the city thus far" where I shortly replied with "Best sound v6 you mean" Followed with disbelief.

And of course, 3) Price, I spent about 4000-4500 on everything (That is canadian, so it would be lower for your american folk) to get the car the way it is.

Now I decided that this made me MORE then happy. The power of a v8 with this setup would be WAY faster and better, but lower fuel economy and insurance would mean I would have to spend 10+ grand out of my pocket to get the car, then 4000 for mods to get it fast as my v6, then insurance will go up and so will gas since it tends to burn more fuel.... My car gets about 100-150 miles more then my buddies v8's

In the end, the first year if I wanted to get the same speed (or atleast get the same setup) would be about 17 grand the first year.... Yeah.... And plus, I dont "race" in the city or anything, so the nitrous was a perfect "fix" for my "I NEED MOAR SPEED" at literally a FRACTION of the cost!

And even then, my v6 sounds WAY better then a v8 UNLESS it has cams.... (I dont think trifecta ghost cam is available for the 8) and with the setup I have, its LOUD, AGGRESSIVE and NOT raspy.... Like I said, my v8 buds wouldn't lie to me and think it sounds amazing.

And, after this car is paid off... I'll get as v8 camaro Best of both worlds!

DISCLAIMER
: I am NOT saying my car is faster then your v8 or that my car sounds better then yours. But from what I have seen, ALOT of people think that I have a v8 with cams, and they think the car is a v8. If you had the nitrous shot in your v8 like I do with my v6 you would no doubt, leave me in the dust... Don't worry, your 8's are FREAKING sweet... but I am working with what I got....
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #30
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
I'll tell you my situation because frankly, you are in the exact same boat as me.

I was getting ready to literally trade my V6 for a V8.

I thought to myself: What do I want in a car?

For one, I grew SO attached to the Synergy Green color to the point that I wanted a Synergy GReen 8. But I would have settled for a black one...

Thing is, I really just wanted to keep up with the V8's. I also wanted the sound of a V8.

So after looking at the pros and cons. I decided that I would
1) Try and see what I could do to keep up with the v8's.
2) Get it to sound like a V8
3) See how much I could save in the process

So I solved 1) By getting the following: CAI intake, Ported Throttle body, Black Ice-olator, Plenum Spacer, Ported INtake Manifold, BBK long tube headers/Hi Flow Cats, MRT 1, and trifecta tune. But the kicker was I was MAYBE going to keep up with stock v8's with this setup.... So what did I do? Threw a freaking 150 hp shot of Nitrous in the baby

I solved 2) By literally getting the Ghost Cam with Trifecta on aggressive and Of course, the exhaust done. If you don't think it sounds like a V8... I have 4 buddies who have v8 camaro's and everyone of them admitted mine sounded better... I also have driven next to a couple supercharged v8's where they said "That is the best sounding v8 camaro in the city thus far" where I shortly replied with "Best sound v6 you mean" Followed with disbelief.

And of course, 3) Price, I spent about 4000-4500 on everything (That is canadian, so it would be lower for your american folk) to get the car the way it is.

Now I decided that this made me MORE then happy. The power of a v8 with this setup would be WAY faster and better, but lower fuel economy and insurance would mean I would have to spend 10+ grand out of my pocket to get the car, then 4000 for mods to get it fast as my v6, then insurance will go up and so will gas since it tends to burn more fuel.... My car gets about 100-150 miles more then my buddies v8's

In the end, the first year if I wanted to get the same speed (or atleast get the same setup) would be about 17 grand the first year.... Yeah.... And plus, I dont "race" in the city or anything, so the nitrous was a perfect "fix" for my "I NEED MOAR SPEED" at literally a FRACTION of the cost!

And even then, my v6 sounds WAY better then a v8 UNLESS it has cams.... (I dont think trifecta ghost cam is available for the 8) and with the setup I have, its LOUD, AGGRESSIVE and NOT raspy.... Like I said, my v8 buds wouldn't lie to me and think it sounds amazing.

And, after this car is paid off... I'll get as v8 camaro Best of both worlds!

DISCLAIMER
: I am NOT saying my car is faster then your v8 or that my car sounds better then yours. But from what I have seen, ALOT of people think that I have a v8 with cams, and they think the car is a v8. If you had the nitrous shot in your v8 like I do with my v6 you would no doubt, leave me in the dust... Don't worry, your 8's are FREAKING sweet... but I am working with what I got....
that sounds awesome and you got great points on your behalf but i doubt 4500 and all that modding would be needed to make a v8 to were your car is and not affect the gas milage much...i think 2k max would make it really fast if there using nitrous.. but then i wouldn't know how fast your car is unless you have track numbers or at least dyno numbers.....

but i guess if you are having to trade your v6 in for a v8 it would make it harder to decide but if you didn't have a camaro yet i would say you get a v8 you wouldn't need heavy modifying to get it fast.. yours sound like you did some heavy modding compared to just bolt ons on a v8

but you already have that done on your car so getting a v8 after paid off would be bad ass have a fast v6 and v8 would be awesome but then you will see how much easy it is to mod a v8....

some ppl just on tune long tubes and 150 shot and some slicks run high 10s in my book that is bad ass for the mods thats not even spending more than 2k if you know how to buy your parts...
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #31
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
TBH, keep it and wait for the 6th gen car to come out. Then you can sale the v6 and get a lighter 6th gen. All new generations are coming out within the next couple years so just wait it out. Im 20 and i too want a v8 but we have all life to live... we will have plenty of time to get what we want.
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #32
mc_acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikss View Post
that sounds awesome and you got great points on your behalf but i doubt 4500 and all that modding would be needed to make a v8 to were your car is and not affect the gas milage much...i think 2k max would make it really fast if there using nitrous.. but then i wouldn't know how fast your car is unless you have track numbers or at least dyno numbers.....

but i guess if you are having to trade your v6 in for a v8 it would make it harder to decide but if you didn't have a camaro yet i would say you get a v8 you wouldn't need heavy modifying to get it fast.. yours sound like you did some heavy modding compared to just bolt ons on a v8

but you already have that done on your car so getting a v8 after paid off would be bad ass have a fast v6 and v8 would be awesome but then you will see how much easy it is to mod a v8....

some ppl just on tune long tubes and 150 shot and some slicks run high 10s in my book that is bad ass for the mods thats not even spending more than 2k if you know how to buy your parts...
Yes very very verrrry true. But like I said, for the guy who just wants to say "Yeah its a v8" but really its a 6, but can perform with the v8's, it will be cheaper (IN MOST CASES) to go with the 6 UNLESS you find a v8 for realllly cheap.

Mainly because my I use my car for city driving... I am saving close to 200-300 dollars a month on my gas then if I had a v8.

That comes to 1700-2200 dollars typically in driving season.... Which equals too = more gas for driving or more mods.

So yeah... I usually think of the "Saving" AND "How can I keep up"

Those were my "terms" with the car, so to say

Last edited by mc_acoustic; 07-10-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #33
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Wait a year or so and get the SS, even if you mod your 6 you will always be wondering about the SS.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #34
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Quote:
Yes very very verrrry true. But like I said, for the guy who just wants to say "Yeah its a v8" but really its a 6, but can perform with the v8's, it will be cheaper (IN MOST CASES) to go with the 6 UNLESS you find a v8 for realllly cheap.

Mainly because my I use my car for city driving... I am saving close to 200-300 dollars a month on my gas then if I had a v8.

That comes to 1700-2200 dollars typically in driving season.... Which equals too = more gas for driving or more mods.

So yeah... I usually think of the "Saving" AND "How can I keep up"

Those were my "terms" with the car, so to say
How many miles are you driving to save that much in gas?
My LT gets mid 20's to upper 20's on the highway, my SS gets low 20's in all around driving so mileage is not that much different for me.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #35
mc_acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
How many miles are you driving to save that much in gas?
My LT gets mid 20's to upper 20's on the highway, my SS gets low 20's in all around driving so mileage is not that much different for me.
Thats sick.

No highway driving whatsoever... All city.

Fill up about every 4-5 days from empty.

about 20 mpg in the city.

My buddy at work has the v8 camaro 2011 and oddly enough lives a LITTLE closer to work then me... about 4-5 blocks away from me... and he fills up about every 2-3 days (Yeah! CRUMMY!) works same days (2 hours later then me) and he drives it slow and steady... We've done tests to see who can last longer just driving to and from work.. no driving on days off... he got almost 3 fills in my 1 fill lolol

Its about a 45-60 minute IN the city drive....

On the Highway though I do get around 34-35 mpg
Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #36
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
The only advice I have on getting an ss is check how much insurance will be go to a dealership and talk numbers, add a bit more money for gas and go from there. If you can afford it and still have money in your pocket then go for it. You're in your prime years don't sign up for a six year plan and not have money to enjoy life. Good luck and whatever happens in the end you still got a badass camaro
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #37
coreyspindlah11

Drives: 2011 Camaro Lt
Thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts, got a couple dealers to check out. See what the best option is and go from there. I love the Fifth generation though, dont like the new look of the 2014 and because of it im nervous to see the new 6th generation camaro
coreyspindlah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #38
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
There is a V6 Camaro I see sometimes at Atco blowing off SSes and Mustang 5.0s.

Supercharger.

Very cool.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #39
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:

Very impressive sir

Last edited by JR 1; 07-10-2013 at 02:59 PM.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #40
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
My input is that you should do the mods and just have the experience of doing it anyway. A guy with a modded V6 deserves more respect than a guy with a stock V8. One can reach a brochure and the other can turn a wrench.

edit: BUT if you can afford to have the V8 AND mod it, then do that. That wins over all.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #41
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
I actually traded my V6 off on Saturday, I've been ready to get back in a truck and the *gasp* Ford dealership offered me a great deal on a new F150, fully loaded out XLT crew cab. I went with the 5.0 engine because I missed having a V8, and I love the sound.

If there's one thing I learned from owning a Camaro, it's that the V6 are respectable cars in their own right. Mine was black with IOM interior and an IOM stripe, 2LT/RS. The thing was BEAUTIFUL, and I believe it may have had mods as it was faster than the 12 2LT non-RS I had for a couple months.

No matter what though, I missed the V8 sound. If you have the funds, upgrade to an SS. I would've just gotten it off the bat had I been able to do it over. I won't say never, but as long as it's feasible to me, I will not buy a V6 when there is a V8 option. When I was asked why I didn't get the EcoBoost, since it was faster and gave a little better MPGs, I just said I couldn't fathom paying more money for a V6. And regardless of how quick it is, it's still a V6, and I'm old school I realized. I want the V8 rumble.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
family man

Drives: .
Get the SS.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote