Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #71
GA Camaro 2SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Rev Match = Computer. Great now they are taking over the sticks too. When will this insanity end ???
GA Camaro 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #72
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
It used to be overheating the trans fluid was the biggest concern driving an auto hard.

Today it's the myriad of solenoids, computers, and valves that are frankly scary. With 8+ gears and at least three different programable shifting algorithms reliability is not confidence inspiring driving it hard and fast. I mean, anyone who is that serious about their transmission in a drag race should swap the 8 speed out for a two speed powerglide.
So true regarding the modern automatics. Their main issues seem to be the electronics and programming. Most drivers have no idea how complex they really are.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #73
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camaro 2SS View Post
I can guarantee the auto is going to give out before the stick. Sad thing is everything is disposable now a days.

Honestly when you get down to .2 it’s the driver and luck not the car. Same scenario 10x will give you 11 different results.
Quote:
THIS exactly!
The 8l90e is built to handle 800whp in stock form. The TR6060 is rated for about 200 less. Go into the drag racing section and look at the fast list. The A8's are at the top. They ET better and trap higher. The manual has the advantage on a road course. They both have thier pros and cons.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:18 PM   #74
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Toyota just released an all new 6 speed maual gearbox with rev matching they will use in various cars. Toyota. The company that makes soccer mom appliances
on wheels engineered an all new manual gearbox for 2019.

Honda still offers a stick on all their cars.

Rumors of the demise of the manual has been greatly exaggerated.

In the corolla no less. Although stripped econoboxes can be a load of fun. You can drive to their limits while barely going fast enough to get a ticket.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #75
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Autos on high end cars these days are better, but I think you have to pay a pretty penny to get one that's actually worth it, either DCT or high end traditional. Even though a car may have an ZF 8spd for example, a ZF 8spd is not necessarily the same spec ZF 8spd that comes in a different car. Make no mistake though, the fastest cars are now autos and it will be the future. There are cars though where the manual option is better in that specific car, or where it just seems to be more within the nature of the car. I got the 1LE specifically because it was manual and the trim did not come in an auto. I wanted to shift gears again. I think this is one of the last great shifting-gears cars that we are going to see. As we go on less and less attention will be given to manuals until they finally just disappear.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #76
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I’m here because I bought a 6th gen daily to add to the 57 other cars I’ve owned including many 11 second stick cars, a 2005 Lotus, an imported RHD, and some classic cars. I don’t need a forum to tell me anything, almost every manufacturer is moving away from manual transmissions simply because the autos have advanced so much. BMW, Lamborghini, Audi, Ferrari, mclaren, almost every company is dual clutch or auto only. The “mullet” having Camaro owners are the ones stuck with outdated technology believing its superior. Is having a stick more fun? Subjective and purely up to the individual. Is an auto faster? In almost every situation yes.

And I’ve worked in the automotive industry for 25 years. An automatic car has a higher resale and appeals to more buyers than a stick. Believe what you want but an automatic car is easier to sell for a higher price.
Is an auto faster ? I say who cares its not worth it because its not driving as much as it riding along . The question, is an auto easier so anyone can operate the car ? Sales for Ferrari ,Lamborghini and McLaren would be at the level they were back in 2001 and before if they didn't have automatics. People who buys those cars don't want 3 pedals and don't want to take the time to learn. The more you interact with an experience the better that experience will be . Driving is a dying art that over the next few decades may be totally gone , but for now i would say grab that stick and drive the car while you can, its a much better experience, if you know how . Right now i see auto makers talking about auto trans the same way Sony talked and advertised there CD players back in 1982 . The listening expererince has only gone downhill since vinyl ,does Cds have advantages over vinyl ,sure but are they really better then vinyl looking back?
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #77
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Is an auto faster ? I say who cares its not worth it because its not driving as much as it riding along . The question, is an auto easier so anyone can operate the car ? Sales for Ferrari ,Lamborghini and McLaren would be at the level they were back in 2001 and before if they didn't have automatics. People who buys those cars don't want 3 pedals and don't want to take the time to learn. The more you interact with an experience the better that experience will be . Driving is a dying art that over the next few decades may be totally gone , but for now i would say grab that stick and drive the car while you can, its a much better experience, if you know how . Right now i see auto makers talking about auto trans the same way Sony talked and advertised there CD players back in 1982 . The listening expererince has only gone downhill since vinyl ,does Cds have advantages over vinyl ,sure but are they really better then vinyl looking back?
Vinyl is back in a big way. So much so that now Best Buy now has a larger stock of records than CDs

Based on that in 20 years people will be dirching their autonomous cars for real driving machines with manual transmissions.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #78
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Toyota just released an all new 6 speed maual gearbox with rev matching they will use in various cars. Toyota. The company that makes soccer mom appliances
on wheels engineered an all new manual gearbox for 2019.

Honda still offers a stick on all their cars.

Rumors of the demise of the manual has been greatly exaggerated.
You’re talking about cars with not enough torque to economically and perforormance wise use an automatic. A 15-16 second economy car is way different than a performance car. I’ve worked for Honda for 15 years, we sell maybe 10 stick cars a year compared to almost a 50/50 split in the 90’s. Toyota and Mazda are the same way. With the 9/10 speeds and the dual clutch transmissions getting smaller and lighter every year it’s a matter of time till they take over.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #79
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfive View Post
Automatics are quicker , however some of the 2016s have an issue with the transmission shudder . So I understand where your coming from.
For the record I would prob never own a manual ever again , they are going the way of the dodo. You cant get a duramax diesel with a manual anymore . besides tapshift makes the manual guys semi happy . But If I ever were to fall in love with a manual it would prob be a sequential trans those things are bad ass for roadracing !!!

Yep 2/10ths of a second faster. Not noticeable unless its an all out race and it will get a slight jump on you while shifting. Around town driving and exiting and entering ramps rowing your own gears is just fun and sounds cooler. I was at the dealer last week and was talking to a guy trading his vette in for a new 2018 Vette. He said he was getting the automatic again. I asked him why and he said because he would be 80 this year. I thought the guy was in his 60s. Looked pretty young for his age. He said he also had a 70 Vette in his garage that was a stick.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #80
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Vinyl is back in a big way. So much so that now Best Buy now has a larger stock of records than CDs

Based on that in 20 years people will be dirching their autonomous cars for real driving machines with manual transmissions.
In the late 70s they said Convertibles would be a thing of the past too. In fact they also said performance cars were dead too. I suspect not only a vinyl records come back but I expect vinyl tops to come back around too.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #81
KingLT1

Quote:
The Manual mode feature with the slap shifter is 80% of a true manual driving experience. It is very responsive and gives the driver full control just like a manual would, but you don't have to push in the clutch. I have owned manuals in the past, I like both. The deal breaker for me on going manual was the bog issue when launching with the 6th gen...or else I would have went manual.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #82
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The Manual mode feature with the slap shifter is 80% of a true manual driving experience. It is very responsive and gives the driver full control just like a manual would, but you don't have to push in the clutch. I have owned manuals in the past, I like both. The deal breaker for me on going manual was the bog issue when launching with the 6th gen...or else I would have went manual.
No way is paddle shifting a substitute for a real manual shifting , i have driving them and don't care for them at all , at best its 10% of true manual driving experience. And when those paddle shifting trans heat up they get very lazy and unpredictable.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #83
KingLT1

Quote:
No way is paddle shifting a substitute for a real manual shifting , i have driving them and don't care for them at all , at best its 10% of true manual driving experience. And when those paddle shifting trans heat up they get very lazy and unpredictable.
I didn't say paddle shifter did I? I said slap shifter on the center console. It works better then the paddles in manual mode.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #84
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The Manual mode feature with the slap shifter is 80% of a true manual driving experience
And giving your wank a yank is 80% of the real thing. That 20% makes a huge difference. Once you have the real thing you can't go back to 80%
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote