Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Visago

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Camaro one of the most dependable cars on the road

Saw this article this morning on MSN...good to hear!

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/22-mo...cid=autos_5348

"We were waiting for the eternal Mustang versus Camaro battle that ensues in every midsize sporty car comparison — at this point, we were certain it was legally required. Apparently, it isn't. The 2011 Chevrolet Camaro was the only car in its segment to perform above the segment's average. Not only did the 2011 Camaro meet and exceed the midsize sporty car average, it also earned perfect scores across the board in every dependability subcategory."
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
87GNX

Drives: Alot
No dodge or ford on that list? Yeah someone got paid.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
My insurance went down switching from my Lexus IS350 AWD to the Camaro 1LE. It's gotta be legit on the safety ratings, because it's not only way up on horsepower in comparison, but it's also a RWD, and a 2-door - usually things that insurance absolutely loves to hammer people for.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Not really. Ford and Dodge tend to fall below industry average with regard to reliability.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
RED_SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
My insurance went down from a long bed 3/4 ton pickup to the camaro ss. Cant figure out why.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I'd say General Motors had a great showing here. But then we on this forum are not surprised by this.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well give credit where it's due.

Congrats to GM!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Visago

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Ya that made me laugh. I've never had any bad luck with my Chevy's but there was a period where I switched over to Ford for awhile...had an F-150 and 2 Mustangs. Had problems with all 3 of them. F-150 had coil/cylinder misfiring issues, and both Mustangs had an array of problems. Had to replace the alternator on both of them, both had cooling issues/replaced the electric fan on both, and both of them had cylinder fouling with oil leaking onto the plugs. I treat all my cars the same and take care of them so it's not like I neglected servicing them. After bad luck with 3 of them in a row I will never buy a Ford again.
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
My insurance went down switching from my Lexus IS350 AWD to the Camaro 1LE. It's gotta be legit on the safety ratings, because it's not only way up on horsepower in comparison, but it's also a RWD, and a 2-door - usually things that insurance absolutely loves to hammer people for.
I went from a KIA Forte to my 1le and my insurance went up a whole $3. I think that's just because of value more than anything. Also, here in Montana they might factor safety in winter... I'm just guessing there, but I was really really surprised.

I was also surprised at how many airbags were actually in the Camaro.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

I think just about every interior surface in the car has an airbag lurking behind it. LOL
Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

I found out (I think) why my insurance went down from the Lexus to the Camaro.

1) Camaro did do much better in crash ratings - perfect score if I recall correctly. I think that has to do with the overall design and size of the car for starters. Much more metal, more crumple zone space compared to my smaller IS350. But the Lexus IS350 I bought just before IIHS changed up those tests and implemented that "staggered/offset front end impact" test. The Lexus which was a very high rated safety car suddenly plummeted from that one test. It got "marginal and poor" on the new test depending on which side.

2)On-star vehicle disabling features and theft-recovery. My insurance company LOVES that sort of thing as I imagine everyone else's does.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:

not paid, but I wouldn't wipe my arse with a MSN autos article. completely worthless.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Dependability is how often something fails or doesn't function as expected, nothing to do with insurance rates since insurance doesn't cover breakdowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
not paid, but I wouldn't wipe my arse with a MSN autos article. completely worthless.
Its not MSN's study, they're just reporting the data from JD Power and Associates. http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm
Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Z_Rated

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
So does USAA. My cost monthly is only $5 more than what my 08 335i was. Mainly because of the standard safety options that the Camaro had over the Bimmer, including hands free. I'm sure BMW has that option now, but I'm not paying 35-40k for a new 335i.

Also, I trust my Camaro more in a crash than my Bimmer. I've seen lots of photos online involving Camaros in bad accidents and the driver walked away. I hit the wall at 60 after spinning out with my F body and walked away without a scratch. To me they've proven their safety first hand.
Z_Rated is offline   Reply With Quote