Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #15
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I just gave up and use the cupholder.

There is no flat spot in the Camaro to place a magnetic mount. The vent mount types don't work.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #16
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
These guys that run these phone mounts.. I would be curious to hear how they actually use them and their ages. I tend to think that I'm one of the younger guys on the forum (may be wrong), but no sort of phone mount has ever interested me in the least. I hate looking at them and I don't see a use for them, particularly if you have apple carplay/android auto.??? I've never used any in my life, but I would agree that Proclips is quite popular.
Yeah, it's not an age thing. I'm old and I think there's nothing more hideous than looking at a phone picking up out of your center console or right in the middle of your dashboard.

Personally I just hardwired a Wireless charger into the rear Factory location, raised it up just a tad so my phone fits on it just fine. Looks stock...if you even bother to look for it.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #17
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Quote:
These guys that run these phone mounts.. I would be curious to hear how they actually use them and their ages. I tend to think that I'm one of the younger guys on the forum (may be wrong), but no sort of phone mount has ever interested me in the least. I hate looking at them and I don't see a use for them, particularly if you have apple carplay/android auto.??? I've never used any in my life, but I would agree that Proclips is quite popular.
I'm 39. I use mine to have a place where I always know where my phone is.. I put in the mount and plug it in and use Apple Car Play on the screen. It's not flopping around on the seat or taking up the cupholders.. Perhaps some OCD but I like organization.
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:20 PM   #18
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
I tried various mounts, mostly using the cupholders, and in the end bit the bullet on the ProClip. Its pricey but worth it...mount and clip are sold separately.

Not every app displays on the iOS car interface, e.g. Gas Buddy. Spotify does but there's a bug in the app, or it's by design, that limits how many playlists or how many songs in the playlist that you can scroll through on the car interface. So I do that on the iPhone if needed.

For Google maps, nav is on a split screen: Multiple turn by turn, approx the next 10 steps on the iPhone, and next turn on the car interface. Google maps sometimes does too many zig zags, mostly in rural areas, so if I see that on the iPhone, I'll cut out a few zags if I'm familiar with the area. Can't do that if you only see the next turn on the car interface.

So having the iPhone safely in view gives you a more complete view of all its interface capabilities.
Attached Images

digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:25 PM   #19
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
+ 1 for ProClip. I just installed mine over the weekend.
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #20
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Just a quick note on the recharge pad…unless you have an iPhone 12 Max, your iPhone 12 will fit on the charge pad. That said, for 2017 and earlier, the charge pad doesn’t work with Apple phones. I had the charge pad upgraded so that my passengers can charge their phones. I recently upgraded from iPhone X to iPhone 12 Pro. Both phones fit the pad.

I also use Proclips and was pleased to find out that the iPhone 12 Pro is slightly narrower than the iPhone X and fit into my existing Proclip with only minor adjustment.
Yeah it’s a 12 Max. Almost too long to fit in my front pocket. 😂
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:17 AM   #21
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I do agree. I've never used a phone mount myself. My phone stays in my pocket when I'm driving. I'm driving to enjoy the freedom and the road. The last thing I think about when I'm driving is my damb phone. I don't answer calls and I don't answer texts. If I ever need Google Maps, I will connect to AA and toss the phone in the cup holder.
Yep. I don't get it. These cars will display text messages and call people from the infotainment/steering wheel. Why would you want your phone in a holder, what purpose does it serve? Are you trying to do face-time and zoom meetings while you drive?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:57 AM   #22
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Yep. I don't get it. These cars will display text messages and call people from the infotainment/steering wheel. Why would you want your phone in a holder, what purpose does it serve? Are you trying to do face-time and zoom meetings while you drive?
I hear ya but it is a 228 billion dollar industry. For some reason there's a need or a want.
I tossed mine in the glove box before driving across town to visit my grandkids today. I went to call my daughter to let her know I was on my way and the bluetooth connection was gone. I had to fumble around and grab it out of my glovebox and turn the dang bluetooth on. Had it been mounted nearby it would have been easier....although if I hadn't been stupid and turned off my bluetooth to begin with, it would have been much easier.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:22 AM   #23
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Tons of apps that are useful that don't show up in Apple Car play.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:40 AM   #24
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron07 View Post
I'm 39. I use mine to have a place where I always know where my phone is.. I put in the mount and plug it in and use Apple Car Play on the screen. It's not flopping around on the seat or taking up the cupholders.. Perhaps some OCD but I like organization.
Yeah, I always just laid my phone in the passenger seat (if riding solo) or I stuck it in the door. I'm OCD about things but having a mount abnormally protruding anywhere inside the car does not sit "ok" to me.. just my 2 cents
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:43 AM   #25
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Tons of apps that are useful that don't show up in Apple Car play.
Such as..? What is the "ton" of useful apps, that should be used WHILE driving?
Old 08-11-2021, 07:52 AM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
I just have a small stick on net I added onto the drivers side of the console, this way I can plug the phone in and use android auto whenever I am in the car
Currently, my phone just sits in the cupholder. But, I also have a net attachment that I'm going to be adding in the not-too-distant future.

The ProClips stuff kind of makes me laugh. You have to drop $30 for a clip, minimum of another $30 for a phone-specific mount, and then you have wires draped all over the place so that you can use a charger and/or AA/CarPlay. Just seems like a huge mess to deal with, especially when I need that area clear to shift.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #27
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Currently, my phone just sits in the cupholder. But, I also have a net attachment that I'm going to be adding in the not-too-distant future.

The ProClips stuff kind of makes me laugh. You have to drop $30 for a clip, minimum of another $30 for a phone-specific mount, and then you have wires draped all over the place so that you can use a charger and/or AA/CarPlay. Just seems like a huge mess to deal with, especially when I need that area clear to shift.
I agree, keep it clean & simple. I like all my cars to look like they were just pulled off of the showroom. (I don't want to look at air fresheners, a dozen different mounts, or cheap stick-on plastic pieces)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #28
CHerna

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
I'm in my 20's and I have a Proclip in all of my cars. I have a bunch of friends my age that do as well. Every other holder sucks in comparison.

Previous: Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote