Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Vad3r

Drives: 2016 2SS
Allocation at smaller dealerships

Any idea when some of the smaller dealerships will receive allocation? I'm using High Country Chevrolet in Richfield, Utah. (I live in Las Vegas but am going there as I have negotiated a good deal).
Vad3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Camaro allocations are based on the number of Camaro units the dealer delivered in the immediate previous model year. You can substitute any vehicle line by any manufacturer (exclude Tesla as they are neither big enough nor successful enough to matter) and you will find allocations are so distributed.

Small or big, it is the number of units of that particular vehicle line delivered in the previous model year that matters.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
Thebeezwax

Drives: Has 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Camaro allocations are based on the number of Camaro units the dealer delivered in the immediate previous model year. You can substitute any vehicle line by any manufacturer (exclude Tesla as they are neither big enough nor successful enough to matter) and you will find allocations are so distributed.

Small or big, it is the number of units of that particular vehicle line delivered in the previous model year that matters.

Laborsmith
this is mostly accurate and im not trying to be the devils advocate... since this is a new Gen release, allocations will still be limited regardless of volume from previous year... Allocations for the Z28 were based on volume of Corvette Sales from the previous year.

but ya.... the more you sell, the more you get.
Thebeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vad3r View Post
Any idea when some of the smaller dealerships will receive allocation? I'm using High Country Chevrolet in Richfield, Utah. (I live in Las Vegas but am going there as I have negotiated a good deal).
We do not have any details on when more allocation will roll out. This is week #2 since the initial allocation rolled out and my dealer who is a high volume dealer did not get any more allocation this last week.

With production weeks filling in ( 10/5, 10/12 and 10/19), I will assume another round will be coming in the next week or two so they can start getting their post first round orders lined up and ready to go.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
laborsmith

Yeah, as thebeeswax unducated, allocation is not quite as straight forward as I may have indicated, but the skeleton's bones are there. You can estimate how your intent to buy by knowing how many Camaro units your dealer delivered each quarter of the previous model year. And since this is a new generation there will be, as time passes, more allocations to distribute, but rest assured, however each for unit that is awarded there is an attorney who has determined it is legally defensible.
clerk to complete his years of service to qualify for
Books have been written about this process, the most famous being about Honda's distribution of the Accord. I have chosen not to read it but have been informed it is an excellent and accurate account of human greed.

And yes, I had a relative who lost his position as a Chevrolet regional sales manager but was allowed to continue work in what could only be viewed as a clerk position so he could qualify for his pension. This is not a happy subject for me and it has no relationship to the union movement.

It does relate to how and why allocations are distributed in these days.

Laborsmith
Old 08-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Those of us whose orders were approved during this second week of the original round, what type of build dates can we expect? Would ours match up with the 10/5,10/12, and 10/19 dates or will we must like be pushed back the following three weeks after these weeks?
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
laborsmith

The correct question is will regular production start as stated and we can not know until it starts and even then may no know. For example, the ATS-V was scheduled to start June 1, the in may we were told a one month delay. We do not know when it actually started but we do know some Cadillac dealers have posted VINs indicating their build has been assembled. Stanford posted a VIN a few days ago and now is not, indicating it has been sold. All ATS-V VINs I have seen are lower than 0999 indicating they are all first week builds. Anyone wondering why I refer to the ATS-V, remember the Gen6 is built on the same line using many of the same parts.

It comes down to this: will Gen6 production start on October 5. My guess is yes because the Cadillac's have done with initial production woes. But that is a guess with a chance, say 50/50, of being right. And unlike my previous predictions, just a guess.

Laborsmith
Old 08-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Those of us whose orders were approved during this second week of the original round, what type of build dates can we expect? Would ours match up with the 10/5,10/12, and 10/19 dates or will we must like be pushed back the following three weeks after these weeks?
Potentially. Target Production weeks and build dates are subjective. For all we know the dealers who ordered misc. cars not tied to an eager Camaro6 fans could be getting made well ahead of our orders.

We also have no idea if these production weeks are filled. I am going to assume they fill them in by dates and work backwards off the perceived production timelines they have created off their pre-production sample cars.

I would love to know how many cars they are going to be making per week. I know the Vette's have a full 3 day build time from the first pieces going together from it driving off the factory floor. I am going to assume we will see a similar or maybe even slightly faster timeline.

we're headed into the 2nd week since the original DOSP. When the next round begins is up to GM. So far they have been moving at a faster schedule than we have seen int he past on other cars. The fact we have a TPW already is fairly crazy. While not uncommon, it is cool to see these getting dished out already and if they stick a huge cry of happiness is coming from me!

My guess is we will see another DOSP on Thursday of next week 9/3. You can already see a lot of new orders sitting at 1100. EOD tomorrow will show how many cars are still being accepted vs. allocation given. A lot of dealers are saying they still do not have allocation. So in the end... who knows

Good God I like to type...
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
My order is at 2000, so my dealer really did have an allocation?
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
laborsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
My order is at 2000, so my dealer really did have an allocation?
DEFINITELY YES. Hey, notice no hmms or haws there!

Laborsmith
Old 08-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
DEFINITELY YES. Hey, notice no hmms or haws there!

Laborsmith
LOL @Labor

Yes, if you're at 2000, your dealer had allocation and GM accepted their order placed for it. If it is still 2000, GM just has not assigned it to Production Control yet.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 AM   #12
Vad3r

Drives: 2016 2SS
I understand what the allocation is based off (prior year camaro sales etc) but as I understand it, even if I had those numbers it wouldn't help because we don't know a range of sales for other dealers that got allocation. I don't think they move very many Camaros in Richfield, UT.

But the fact that the dealership has submitted my order (status 1100) has no bearing on them receiving an allocation sooner than another small dealership that doesn't have one submitted?
Vad3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
laborsmith

Good question and the answer is no bearing. Here is the clearest example: every Chevrolet dealer (at least up to LAST year) gets a minimum of one Corvette allocation every model year. There are a few hundred Chevrolet dealers who never sold a Corvette since it first came into being in 1953 plus several hundred who had sold less one a year in a similar time frame up to the C6's introduction. Now almost 900 Chevy dealers are not authorized to retail sell a new Corvette but (at least to last year) they can still enter orders and go to 1100.

Laborsmith