Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #757
Hopstar

Drives: 2010 camaro Ss
You have a factory HU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic73 View Post
I read it, but as I stated in my post I have a NON BA system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Hopstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #758
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstar View Post
You have a factory HU?
Yes, but i don't have the BA amp and my concern is that the stock NON BA speakers won't be able to handle the power from an aftermarket BU.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #759
Hopstar

Drives: 2010 camaro Ss
Ok NoW I understand what your asking. Yeah... if you are going to get this kit you are going to need to replace the HU and in that process will need to replace the speakers. The stock speakers aren't that good I'm sure.... the BA ones were trash so I can't imagine the factory speakers being anywhere near BA. So... if you want the kit your already going to replace the head unit.... speakers aren't that expensive.... installation on rear deck speakers is a royal pain in the ass I will say.
Hopstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #760
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I saw a post over in this thread dating back from Dec 2016 claiming PAC would be coming out with a new updated head unit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
It's also worth mentioning that PAC is working on an updated version of the kit that addresses many customer concerns, and I'm sure will be well worth the wait.
I've searched around, and all I can find is the same SKU # RPK5-GM4101 for this head unit, as has been available since the time of launch. Did this end up perhaps being a more minor update that didn't warrant a model number change? I'd imagine they'd have tweaked it slightly to reflect even minor updates though so people know what they're buying.

The only gripes I have with this from a visual perspective is the digital temperature readout at the top looks kind of clunky and cheap with a deep recess. I'd prefer it to be more flush. The area around the space for the double DIN also looks a little awkward because its so recessed back with a sudden sharp edge. It looks as if somebody took an existing stock head unit and cut a square through it.

Better than a lot of the other aftermarket options we've had up until now, for sure, but not as nicely integrated as the MyLink was. My ultimate dream is a 2013-2015 style MyLink style head unit that allows for CarPlay.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #761
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I saw a post over in this thread dating back from Dec 2016 claiming PAC would be coming out with a new updated head unit:

I've searched around, and all I can find is the same SKU # RPK5-GM4101 for this head unit, as has been available since the time of launch. Did this end up perhaps being a more minor update that didn't warrant a model number change? I'd imagine they'd have tweaked it slightly to reflect even minor updates though so people know what they're buying.

The only gripes I have with this from a visual perspective is the digital temperature readout at the top looks kind of clunky and cheap with a deep recess. I'd prefer it to be more flush. The area around the space for the double DIN also looks a little awkward because its so recessed back with a sudden sharp edge. It looks as if somebody took an existing stock head unit and cut a square through it.

Better than a lot of the other aftermarket options we've had up until now, for sure, but not as nicely integrated as the MyLink was. My ultimate dream is a 2013-2015 style MyLink style head unit that allows for CarPlay.
The fixes were minor and they exchanged the initial stock so doubt they changed any part numbers. I have been very happy with mine since I had already tried the other options that were available at the time.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #762
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
The fixes were minor and they exchanged the initial stock so doubt they changed any part numbers. I have been very happy with mine since I had already tried the other options that were available at the time.
Thanks. Good to know that I may as well pull the trigger on this sometime soon. I've been disgusted (yes, that strong of a word) with the current aftermarket head unit options offered until now which replace our climate controls and locks with an array of black, generic buttons. These solutions look cheap and aftermarket to say the least. I was also so so so pissed when the 6th gen got a much nicer MyLink and felt like we got jipped. Had things been shifted a year or two in terms of head unit technology, the 5th gen likely would have had a much nicer option in its last year which would have gone on to become a popular unit to swap into the earlier model years.

Was not expecting somebody would suddenly create a nicer option like the PAC unit 7 full years after the 5th gen went into production and over a full year after it ended production. This came out of left field, but it's very welcome.

CarPlay, here I come...
Old 08-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #763
directcraig

Drives: 2010 camaro v6
not working

HI everyone. So I have been using this kit for a few months now and everything has worked great until this morning. This morning when I turned the car on the ventilation controls and the temperature display were completely dead. the lock/unlock button still works and the hazard button still works. the radio still works fine as well as the steering wheel controls.
So its just the ventilation controls and the temperature display. Nothing lights up on the ventilation controls and the dials do not work. Anybody else had this happen?
directcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #764
DJ_LB_20

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstar View Post
Ok NoW I understand what your asking. Yeah... if you are going to get this kit you are going to need to replace the HU and in that process will need to replace the speakers. The stock speakers aren't that good I'm sure.... the BA ones were trash so I can't imagine the factory speakers being anywhere near BA. So... if you want the kit your already going to replace the head unit.... speakers aren't that expensive.... installation on rear deck speakers is a royal pain in the ass I will say.

Are the lights just off or when you try and operate them they don't work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ_LB_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #765
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by directcraig View Post
HI everyone. So I have been using this kit for a few months now and everything has worked great until this morning. This morning when I turned the car on the ventilation controls and the temperature display were completely dead. the lock/unlock button still works and the hazard button still works. the radio still works fine as well as the steering wheel controls.
So its just the ventilation controls and the temperature display. Nothing lights up on the ventilation controls and the dials do not work. Anybody else had this happen?
Yes I had that happen it was a loose connection between the harness and the faceplate. All HVAC stuff comes through the white cable that plugs into your faceplate.
I could get it to turn on and off by wiggling the harness. I sent the faceplate and harness back to vendor I purchased it from and they sent me new one.
No problems since. That was back in November.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #766
directcraig

Drives: 2010 camaro v6
Hey thanks for the responses. I took the faceplate off and disconetted it. Plugged it back in and everything worked. Must have just been some sort of glitch and needed a reset. All seems good now.

thanks
directcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #767
fightingmajor
I like hockey

Drives: 2014 1LT
Just installed this kit this weekend with an Alpine iLX-107. Wireless CarPlay is nice although the lack of HD radio kinda sucks. Although I don't listen to much radio in the car, I do wish it sounded better when I do.
fightingmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #768
LINYSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSmono View Post
So after thinking about it some more, before spending nearly $2k on this, I think I am going to hold off until one of the big brands (Pioneer / Kenwood) offers a double-din android auto head unit that includes dash cam DVR functionality. I want a front camera for parking assistance, but would love to be able to record the front camera video for insurance purposes or the occasional auto-cross. There are some cheap brands that make head units with dash cam DVR now, so I hope it's only a matter of time until the big brands offer something too. Thanks for your help everyone!
Look at the Pioneer AVH 2330NEX
LINYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #769
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Be sure to use the correct antenna adapter when you install an aftermarket head unit. When the shop installed mine originally, I had very poor radio reception and when I took it back, they changed out the antenna adapter to one that was an amplified adapter. They used the 40-EU55 and reception jumped significantly!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #770
Dorwd71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Hi, I installed this unit yesterday, nope no pics sorry, I went with the DDX9703S, and have a couple of questions/issues. One is there an adapter that I can use to match the factory installed GPS antenna up with the HU antenna slot (as opposed to installing the GPS antenna that came with the HU). My issue is the HU does not turn off with the car (i can power it off on the HU), which is strange, since Yellow went to yellow, black to black and red to red. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. As far as installing, I know enough to be dangerous, but everything works great except for not turning off.

thanks

Last edited by Dorwd71; 12-24-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Dorwd71 is offline   Reply With Quote