Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Tire Defective

So There is a bulge/hump on the tire wall and both GM HQ and the dealership is refusing to replace my tire without charging me nearly $600 CAD.

I thought tires were covered by the new vehicle warranty.
I guess not. GM is pretty good at passing the ball when it comes to them owning up to warranty.

http://1drv.ms/1qrDedY

I know who to sue when this tire fail. It would definitely cost them more than the price to replace it for me for free when it's covered within my warranty.
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Tires, brakes, clutches, stuff like that is considered wear and tear

Bumper to bumper never means bumper to bumper
That is not GM's fault, or your dealer's fault. I have never heard of dealers replacing tires two years after selling the car under warranty
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
A bulge/bump in the sidewall is the result of an impact of some sort, whether it be a pothole, curb or what have you. The sidewall integrity has become compromised. This is not a warranty issue with GM or the tire manufacturer, as they would only cover a defect in workmanship, such as a tire that will not balance correctly or has a high amount of Roadforce.

I have sold countless tires over the years and I promise you it happened while you were driving, not from a manufacturing defect. If you need more information you can contact a rep at a reputable tire retailer, such as The Tire Rack, and they can give you more insight as to what I'm talking about. I'm sorry about the bad news, though.

The only way it would be covered under a replacement plan is if you bought one at the time of vehicle purchase, which most finance people will try and sell you during the signing of the paperwork. "Let me tell you about our tire and wheel replacement plan we offer..."
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
A bulge/bump in the sidewall is the result of an impact of some sort, whether it be a pothole, curb or what have you. The sidewall integrity has become compromised. This is not a warranty issue with GM or the tire manufacturer, as they would only cover a defect in workmanship, such as a tire that will not balance correctly or has a high amount of Roadforce.

I have sold countless tires over the years and I promise you it happened while you were driving, not from a manufacturing defect. If you need more information you can contact a rep at a reputable tire retailer, such as The Tire Rack, and they can give you more insight as to what I'm talking about. I'm sorry about the bad news, though.

The only way it would be covered under a replacement plan is if you bought one at the time of vehicle purchase, which most finance people will try and sell you during the signing of the paperwork. "Let me tell you about our tire and wheel replacement plan we offer..."
If it was a curb, there should be damages on the rims as well. It has to be an impact of that kind of magnitude to damage the lining within the side wall of the tire. This is just defective.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
I have never heard of a tire being replaced under warranty - 2 years in. Not a chance, and unless you have free legal (or enjoy wasting time in small claims court because you would lose) - suck it up and go buy two.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
So There is a bulge/hump on the tire wall and both GM HQ and the dealership is refusing to replace my tire without charging me nearly $600 CAD.

I thought tires were covered by the new vehicle warranty.
I guess not. GM is pretty good at passing the ball when it comes to them owning up to warranty.

http://1drv.ms/1qrDedY

I know who to sue when this tire fail. It would definitely cost them more than the price to replace it for me for free when it's covered within my warranty.
You really should read the warranty papers. Tires are only covered against defects for the first 3,000 miles because they are a wear and tear item. Once you pass 3,000, the cost of replacement is on you. And don't blame GM or your dealer, every manufacturer is this way when it comes to tires.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
If it was a curb, there should be damages on the rims as well. It has to be an impact of that kind of magnitude to damage the lining within the side wall of the tire. This is just defective.
Nope I just hit a curb on my rear left tire pulling into a drive thru because a car was pulled out too far and I didn't feel like straightening up, not a single mark on my wheel but I definitely hit the tire. Plus it took years for it to show up? It is wear and tear and no dealer would cover that, and that's not GM's fault.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

I'm not saying it's GM fault.
I'm only angry because the operator/ambassador inform me that it would be covered then when I arrived at the dealership, they say otherwise.
HQ and Dealership should get in sync and not waste my time.
I don't mind paying for the tires but when HQ says one thing and the dealership another, it only makes the situation worst than it has to be.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
I'm not saying it's GM fault.
I'm only angry because the operator/ambassador inform me that it would be covered then when I arrived at the dealership, they say otherwise.
HQ and Dealership should get in sync and not waste my time.
I don't mind paying for the tires but when HQ says one thing and the dealership another, it only makes the situation worst than it has to be.
If someone told you they would cover it try to get a hold of them directly
Old 09-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Wilsonation

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
I have never heard of a tire being replaced under warranty - 2 years in. Not a chance, and unless you have free legal (or enjoy wasting time in small claims court because you would lose) - suck it up and go buy two.

I've had all four of mine replaced by GM. My 1LE had only 3,000 miles and they all wore out. That's just daily driving too. Tires are covered in the bumper to bumper up to 12,000 miles. After that, they're prorated all the way to the end of the bumper to bumper.
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
This is a Canadian car and covered by GM of Canada, please refer to your warranty paperwork that you received at time of purchase. No one can absolutely diagnose a concern over the phone with out examining it first.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #12
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Even if the tire was defective its not GM you have to go to its Pirelli. Dealerships don't cover tire warranty the tire manufacturer does.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
Dealerships don't cover tire warranty the tire manufacturer does.
+1

When I bought my 2SS a couple of months ago, the sales guy went out of his way to emphasize that the tires on a 2SS and up (1LE, ZL1, Z28) are covered under warranty from the manufacturer but because of the nature of the car, it's next to impossible to get them replaced under warranty.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote