Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #127
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post

Understood that this is not a Camaro, but if anyone is looking for some footage of a powerful RWD car (2010 CTS-V) outfitted with proper high performance winter tires (Pirelli Sottzeros), here's a clip I made during the 1st snowfall in a parking lot after purchasing the car.
Had to figure out how it behaved and I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!
I learned to drive in the snow on a RWD vehicle when we put bias-ply snow tires on the rears only and there were no nannies. I had to try very hard to get the car out of sorts with all the nannies on and it brought back a lot of memories doing (controlled) donuts with the nannies off.
This car is still my DD and it has always inspired confidence driving it in all winter conditions.

Best regards,

Elie
I have Pirelli Sottzeros on my SS and also learned to drive with RWD cars. We would go to the high school parking lot and practice controlled slides in the snow. Learned how to regain control if the car kicks out unexpectedly.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #128
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I have Pirelli Sottzeros on my SS and also learned to drive with RWD cars. We would go to the high school parking lot and practice controlled slides in the snow. Learned how to regain control if the car kicks out unexpectedly.
Yup! Absolutely the best way to learn a car's capabilities as well as its limitations! Makes you a much better driver and a more confident driver when you know what your car can and can't do and when it's ok to push it a bit further or just back off.

Best regards,

Elie
Old 12-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #129
Kroenen

Drives: 2017 LT V6 Hyper Blue
We've only had one decent snow and one night of freezing rain, but I have to say i'm thoroughly impressed with the camaro's snow/ice mode. I thought it was just some BS setting that maybe caused the traction control to extra bossy. But having it actually leave from a light slow and steady every time makes driving a rwd manual a breeze. Of course having to talk myself out of stopping at every snow filled empty parking lot on my way to work is a constant struggle now.
Kroenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #130
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
The State Road Crew cleans the two lane road I live on. Their Shop is 12 miles from here. They go another mile past me to the County line, then turn around.

EVERY trip they make out here to plow and SAND (more like GRAVEL) they dump 6 tons of sand/gravel, road salt on that 13 miles.
Occasionally they do that 2-3 times a day.

Every time a car passes, you're hit with gravel. Not only damaging your windshield but your bodywork. We can not go through a winter with a daily driver without a WS replacement every summer.

Once the snow/ice melts, we have TONS of gravel left on the roads until it's washed off by Spring rains or blown off the road by cars. The center portion of the road and each lane, will still have a line of gravel.

I'll leave mine in the garage until the roads clear....getting your car damaged every trip out , somehow sucks the fun out of it for me.
This is Colorado, too. I got hit by a rock storm in my Jeep a couple of weeks ago. The winds were blowing 70MPH, and they just picked up a hail of marble sized stones and pelted the front of my Jeep. Cracked windshield, and about a dozen big rock chips on the front, the windshield frame and the hood. No way in hell do I drive my nice cars in winter around here, unless it hasn't snowed in a month and it is sunny and no wind.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #131
TopHatPlus
Account Suspended

Drives: 16 2SS NPP MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post

Understood that this is not a Camaro, but if anyone is looking for some footage of a powerful RWD car (2010 CTS-V) outfitted with proper high performance winter tires (Pirelli Sottzeros), here's a clip I made during the 1st snowfall in a parking lot after purchasing the car.
Had to figure out how it behaved and I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!
I learned to drive in the snow on a RWD vehicle when we put bias-ply snow tires on the rears only and there were no nannies. I had to try very hard to get the car out of sorts with all the nannies on and it brought back a lot of memories doing (controlled) donuts with the nannies off.
This car is still my DD and it has always inspired confidence driving it in all winter conditions.

Best regards,

Elie

My dad had a 2010 CTS-V in raven black with the 6 speed auto. He drowned it in burlington in a flash flood... Replaced with a C7 Vette. Its great to hear its good in snow with proper tires. He stored his for the winters and if it snowed before we got it into storage we would push it around the yard, on michelin pilot super sports it was useless!!!

Winter tires going nom my 2SS this week videos to come!
TopHatPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #132
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
My winter blizzak ws80s on 18s are doing great here in CO even during and after the snow storm, in temps ranging from -7 degrees to 5 degrees.

Was sorta fun, etc.

Now I get to drive in what looks like diarrhea soup water and stress over the sht all over my car until it all completely melts... not so fun
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #133
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet757 View Post
Are you guys getting snow in Williamsburg?!
No snow, at least not yet. But I thought it would be a funny addition. Perhaps not.
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #134
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
These posts are hilarious, can we please get more of people who garage queen the car? It never gets old, trust me. It is incredibly hilarious every time, like every single time even if there are 3-4 similar posts on the same page. Keep doing it and we might die of laughter
Sarcasm; I am sensing sarcasm. That's sarcasm right? It's a good thing that I censor the Mighty HABU's news feed or she could get her feelings hurt. All 2 of them.
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #135
TopHatPlus
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
Sarcasm; I am sensing sarcasm. That's sarcasm right? It's a good thing that I censor the Mighty HABU's news feed or she could get her feelings hurt. All 2 of them.
I would garage mine... it would be mod time and cleaning/prep for spring but when you only have one car.. and you had to own this car.. Still looks good under the cover!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #136
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Panther View Post
The old Gen 5 creating vacant parking lot art.

I call this one, "Springtime in the upper Midwest".

Attachment 838659
donuts!!!!!!! I cant wait wooooooohooooooooo
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #137
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Panther View Post
Thank you. I wasn't sure it accurately portrays that men inevitably enter into definite relations, which are independent of their will, namely relations of production appropriate to a given stage in the development of their material forces of production. The totality of these relations of production constitutes the economic structure of society, the real foundation, on which arises a legal and political superstructure and to which correspond definite forms of social consciousness. The mode of production of material life conditions the general process of social, political and intellectual life. It is not the consciousness of men that determines their existence, but their social existence that determines their consciousness. At a certain stage of development, the material productive forces of society come into conflict with the existing relations of production or—this merely expresses the same thing in legal terms—with the property relations within the framework of which they have operated hitherto. From forms of development of the productive forces these relations turn into their fetters. Then begins an era of social revolution. The changes in the economic foundation lead sooner or later to the transformation of the whole immense superstructure...

or naked women.
spoken George Carlin.
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:35 PM   #138
TopHatPlus
Account Suspended

An update on the snow situation, ended up making a trunk storage platform, and getting some weigh for my trunk, weighting on tires shoulder be in tomorrow but they are 2 days late as of now...

Old 12-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #139
SkipNWis

Drives: 2016/SS Has had 4 Gen 5's
Say a prayer for me!! I'm leaving for Arizona on wed. I have to get from Minn. to Kansas to find warmer weather. I'm still running the stock run flats. Hoping no snow along the way.

SnoWhite
SkipNWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #140
TopHatPlus
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipNWis View Post
Say a prayer for me!! I'm leaving for Arizona on wed. I have to get from Minn. to Kansas to find warmer weather. I'm still running the stock run flats. Hoping no snow along the way.
I have stress tested the stock run last more then anyone i have seen and it will be manageable under some snow conditions.

Regardless of the weather be safe!

Heres a video for you guys, got my snow tires on!

Tags
snow, snow tires