Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #1
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Is it just me or is NPP not very loud?

I think I was hoping NPP with the valves open would be like slp loudmouth or GMMG on a 4th gen f-body but its fairly tame to my ears. My gf has a v6 mustang with roush axlebacks that's way louder, lol. I think I'd rate this as medium on the volume scale for catbacks. What do y'all think?
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
It's decently loud, removing the secondary, non o2 read cats will help make it louder. But you are comparing it to a Roush exhaust on a V6 Mustang, which is one of the louder Mustang exhausts. I had that on mine for a short time, as I hated the raspy tone, (and mines a 5.0) and switched it for Ford Racing set. Not sure how your girlfriend stands it on a V6, I've heard that exhaust on a few V6's, sounds awful.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Interesting to see the "loudness" difference in the 5th Gen NPP vs the 6th Gen, but LT's and high flow or catless midpipes makes the 5th Gen NPP absolutely scream with the valves opened.

Not sure I like the big trash can of a muffler that they turned the NPP into now. If I were in the market for a new 16, I'd probably opt for the standard system and just swap in a new catback of my choosing later.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
The NPP is only loud at higher rpm. Very quiet at idle. Probably legally required sound level limitations.

Companies are already coming out with long tubes and aftermarket NPP systems so there will be plenty of choices pretty soon.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
jimmypop13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
It's decently loud, removing the secondary, non o2 read cats will help make it louder. But you are comparing it to a Roush exhaust on a V6 Mustang, which is one of the louder Mustang exhausts. I had that on mine for a short time, as I hated the raspy tone, (and mines a 5.0) and switched it for Ford Racing set. Not sure how your girlfriend stands it on a V6, I've heard that exhaust on a few V6's, sounds awful.
Hey I didn't say the roush sounded good! Lol. But she likes it so that's all that matters.

I think the NPP sounds loud at idle, but it's not too loud on normal acceleration. Could be partially bc my car is an auto and not manual, but I'll definitely be looking into either an x-pipe that removes two cats or headers and xpipe
Old 12-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichler View Post
Not sure I like the big trash can of a muffler that they turned the NPP into now. If I were in the market for a new 16, I'd probably opt for the standard system and just swap in a new catback of my choosing later.
I thought about that too, but I really want the quad tips and valence to go with it...not sure yet what I will do.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
I thought about that too, but I really want the quad tips and valence to go with it...not sure yet what I will do.
Plus the different modes, I'm really excited to try out the stealth mode. If I'm cruising late at night I don't want to piss off people that are trying to relax at home; or draw unwanted attention to myself.

I live in a small town and it's super annoying listening to a jacked up truck with straight pipes flooring it at every stop sign in town. I can hear those stupid trucks across town.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
jimmypop13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Plus the different modes, I'm really excited to try out the stealth mode. If I'm cruising late at night I don't want to piss off people that are trying to relax at home; or draw unwanted attention to myself.

I live in a small town and it's super annoying listening to a jacked up truck with straight pipes flooring it at every stop sign in town. I can hear those stupid trucks across town.
Stealth mode works really well! You'll be pleased
Old 12-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Awesome, I cannot wait!
Old 12-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
I think the NPP sounds loud at idle, but it's not too loud on normal acceleration. Could be partially bc my car is an auto and not manual, but I'll definitely be looking into either an x-pipe that removes two cats or headers and xpipe
Autos always are quieter typically as they tend to upshift into as high of a gear as possible. While a manual driver can hold a lower gear that will keep the revs up, and make the car louder.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
NPP is perfect for a BONE STOCK and 4 freaking cats. All modes work wonderful. I personally want more growl and sound thus getting a catless xpipe whenever they are available. Just so I can get rid of those un-monitored cats and add the wanted growl into it. Even right now the backfire is making me drool every time, I cannot wait to hear the LT1 even more
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
NPP is perfect for a BONE STOCK and 4 freaking cats. All modes work wonderful. I personally want more growl and sound thus getting a catless xpipe whenever they are available. Just so I can get rid of those un-monitored cats and add the wanted growl into it. Even right now the backfire is making me drool every time, I cannot wait to hear the LT1 even more
Just go to an exhaust shop and have them cut out those two cats and weld in some stainless pipe...$75 - done.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
There aren't 4 cats. 2 cats and 2 resonators. Same as the 5th Gens.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Please do not equate "loud" with "good". I've heard a lot of loud cars that sounded like crap.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote