Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
My Dodge Journey company car had push button, awesome feature once you get used to it.
To be honest when I started looking at a Camaro I was disappointed with the "key" system.
Del's12SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Push button all the way. It is great just having the key in your pocket, walking up, unlocking the car, getting in and pushing the start button.

I always pause driving my wife's Camaro - I need to use a key to start it. It is even worse with my Vette- no remote for anything and one key for the door with a different one for the ignition!
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I'd venture to say the 6th Gen will have it.
How about have it both ways. User configurable. You can set it to need the key or select push button start...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
I loves me some flip key. I'd also love some push button start.

I hate the separate key and seperate fob. Too much junk in your pocket.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
I loves me some flip key. I'd also love some push button start.

I hate the separate key and seperate fob. Too much junk in your pocket.
Can never have too much junk..
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I'm just curious if anyone else thinks the Gen 6 camaro should have push button start like the vettes.
No.

Not unless it comes with a six point harness, a roll bar/cage, and separate toggle switches on the dashboard for the ignition and fuel pump.

On a pure street car it's pretentious.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I guess I'm old fashioned but, to me, I'd prefer just the traditional ignition key. The flip-out is cool and all but it's just one more thing that can break... what do you do then?

Push-button start? My grandmother's '51 Studebaker had it. It would be nice but, you still have to carry something to get into the car (and I would not like the number pad on the outer door to do this).

My Dodge Ram has a fob. Opens the door, plugs into the ignition, and starts her up. No metal "key" to wear out and break off.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
I hate the separate key and seperate fob.
Keeping them separate keeps you from having to rely on somebody else when you lock the key inside. Being able to recover on your own no matter where . . . priceless.

Quote:
Too much junk in your pocket.
Better in your pockets for when you need it than at home where it won't do you any good, or in a man-bag where you might get a lot of strange looks.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
I'd be okay with a push button start if it had the option to crank it should that fail.

My best friend's challenger works half the time with the push button, the other half it doesn't. Sometimes it takes 15 mins to get it to working and the dealership is in no hurry to get the product they need to fix it for him even though he has a limited lifetime warranty with them.

My fiancee's Accord has push button start, but if it fails, you can remove the fob and there's a key you can go through the center console to start.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post
I would love a push button start myself. They should have done that since the 2010 models. I mostly like it because cars have always started with a key, and this is an advancement over that. It makes me feel like cars are evolving.
Ha ha! You must be fairly young. I have a 1968 Citroen that you put the key in, and then pull a starter switch. Don't you think that just pushing a key into the ignition and turning is better than a two step process? The starter button on performance cars, is a nod towards race cars, where you have no ignition/steering lock key as such, it's just turn the battery isolator key, and then hit ignition.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #25
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Keeping them separate keeps you from having to rely on somebody else when you lock the key inside. Being able to recover on your own no matter where . . . priceless.

Better in your pockets for when you need it than at home where it won't do you any good, or in a man-bag where you might get a lot of strange looks.

Norm
Most people have the key and the fob on the same ring. You'd be in the same situation as locking the flip key in your car.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #26
Ravage

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Coming from an Infiniti, losing the push button start is a shame. You never touch your keys ever, not even to unlock the car. It was a button on the door and then a button on the dash to start it.

Even regular cars like a Ford Focus comes with this now, so its a shame to not have it on a Camaro.
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #27
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Why not have it as an option? I think that would be best case for everyone. I know I'd like it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The 6th gen will almost certainly have a push button. The industry is moving in that direction.

Push button is lighter weight and uses fewer parts, in addition to it's convenience factors. Also, it's getting to the point where it's actually cheaper to manufacture than an old style key in ignition.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote